Poll: Which social network do you use to promote your services the most?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 12, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which social network do you use to promote your services the most?".

This poll was originally submitted by K. Drakou. View the poll results »

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:17
French to Spanish
+ ...
Other means Proz for me Oct 12, 2015

Hello, well in some ways, Proz is a specialized social medium (I know plenty of people here right now), so I "promote" my business here and I have to say that I have gained more customers here than in LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter.

I have a profile in LinkedIn: nothing happens there but people trying to be in the spotlight with fake interests like belonging to several groups or following VIP (which I do, of course).

Proz is more focused of course and the ways of promoti
... See more
Hello, well in some ways, Proz is a specialized social medium (I know plenty of people here right now), so I "promote" my business here and I have to say that I have gained more customers here than in LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter.

I have a profile in LinkedIn: nothing happens there but people trying to be in the spotlight with fake interests like belonging to several groups or following VIP (which I do, of course).

Proz is more focused of course and the ways of promoting the business is a way I like working for: being in a directory and trying to be high positioned by references, Kudoz etc. And it's fun.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
LinkedIn is so boring Oct 12, 2015

Facebook and Twitter have much better functionality for posting scantily clad selfies, and the bankers love 'em

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
LinkedIn Oct 12, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Facebook and Twitter have much better functionality for posting scantily clad selfies, and the bankers love 'em

@Chris, since I'm not a serial flasher, I've opted for LinkedIn.

Seriously, though.

1. LinkedIn is not a social network, per se. It advertises itself as a "professional network".

The LinkedIn blurb states:

https://www.linkedin.com/static?key=what_is_linkedin

2. LinkedIn's interface is better designed for professionals, ahem, such as ourselves to showcase our skills.

So, I will direct inquiries and potential customers/clients to get a butchers of me and what I can do on LinkedIn as opposed to sending them a CV. After all, I'm not a 20-something just out of Uni looking for work.

Besides, there are other ways of advertising myself in spandex to bankers.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I answered LinkedIn Oct 12, 2015

I network with professionals on LinkedIn and follow threads - up to a point.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:47
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
I don't use social media for promote my business Oct 12, 2015

I don't use social media to promote my business. I use direct contact through proz or Google search.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:17
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Well, Oct 12, 2015

even though I do have a page on LinkedIn, I'm there only very infrequently, and usually not to promote my businesses.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Media schmedia Oct 12, 2015

How weird that the poll does not have the option “A combination of the above.” Seriously, some people don't know how to prepare polls.

I use Twitter and LinkedIn for professional purposes. I agree with Julian: LinkedIn is touted and used as a professional tool for most of its members, with the glaring and almost naked exception of masseuses, female fit training “experts,” actresses and sundry other characters that inevitable flock to social media. I've already reported some
... See more
How weird that the poll does not have the option “A combination of the above.” Seriously, some people don't know how to prepare polls.

I use Twitter and LinkedIn for professional purposes. I agree with Julian: LinkedIn is touted and used as a professional tool for most of its members, with the glaring and almost naked exception of masseuses, female fit training “experts,” actresses and sundry other characters that inevitable flock to social media. I've already reported some of them.

I'm no prude but, come on! There's Craigslist for that.

Twitter is a more dynamic social media; I use it for professional and for some personal use (i.e. to share and promote my love of jazz, classical music, vinyl records and humanism). Some of my colleagues and clients follow me on twitter, which is nice and may have a multiplying effect on goodwill.

Before social media, however, I just went to ATA conferences. Being the introvert I am, I was always surprised that people I recently met would tell me Mario! You are well known! I wanted to meet you.

Or I would get legitimate email or phone requests with the introduction “Since you have so many contacts in the industry…”

If my former cat could only talk…
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:17
French to English
+ ...
I put Twitter Oct 12, 2015

Because I post on there the most. But actually, you can keep up to date with my horrendous marketing and social media skills on Facebook, Twitter, AND LinkedIn. Lucky you!

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Horrendous indeed! Oct 12, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

Because I post on there the most. But actually, you can keep up to date with my horrendous marketing and social media skills on Facebook, Twitter, AND LinkedIn. Lucky you!

I found you on Twitter now! Mwahahahahahah!

I've noticed some of my esteemed colleagues (Jost Zetzsche among them) tweet not just about translation and technologies but also about their serious interests (Jost loves Bible translations, for example).

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Facebook Oct 12, 2015

I dabble in Twitter and I'm not sure if YouTube counts as a social network (Google+, maybe), but Facebook has become my primary source of work over the last year or two. I mostly translate video games now and there are a lot of game developers on Facebook. Facebook groups make it really easy to find lots of potential clients really quickly, after that, it's just a question of showing them what you can do.

I don't know how effective it is with other industries, but with over a billi
... See more
I dabble in Twitter and I'm not sure if YouTube counts as a social network (Google+, maybe), but Facebook has become my primary source of work over the last year or two. I mostly translate video games now and there are a lot of game developers on Facebook. Facebook groups make it really easy to find lots of potential clients really quickly, after that, it's just a question of showing them what you can do.

I don't know how effective it is with other industries, but with over a billion people on Facebook, you're sure to find a few clients if you look in the right places. Just don't join translation related groups expecting to find work.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best Monday advice Oct 12, 2015

Triston Goodwin wrote:

I don't know how effective it is with other industries, but with over a billion people on Facebook, you're sure to find a few clients if you look in the right places. Just don't join translation related groups expecting to find work.

Good points, Triston, and well presented as well. That's what I call using one's noggin'!

I don't use Facebook for business reasons. In fact, I don't use Facebook at all (I deactivated my personal profile there for philosophical reasons).

LinkedIn has found me 1-3 new clients in the last few years, reason enough to stick with it and to keep a free profile. There are some dark fringes there, however, such as people you don't know who ask you to join their network.

Twitter was not something I was looking forward to doing 2 years ago. I can't recall why I changed my mind, but I've found it a far better social media environment for my purposes (my handle is @wordsmeet, hint hint). I like to follow people in the profession, my local classical FM radio, certain people who are authors (like Candida Moss and Jorge de Buen), and causes I care about, like humanism. I don't follow any politicians due to their FLI condition (a medical acronym meaning frontal lobe incompatibility).

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm very sorry Oct 16, 2015

I'm very sorry for those who still believe they can promote their business in social networks.
I'm not considering ProZ here, as it was not among the answers, and it's not considered social media.
And Linkedin, BTW, is useless and boring. It's not any different than any other social networks, except much less efficient.

[Edited at 2015-10-16 16:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which social network do you use to promote your services the most?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »