Poll: What type of work do you prefer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 11, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What type of work do you prefer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Abdelhalim Zeid. View the poll results »

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
Czech to French
+ ...
Nobody likes interpreting? Oct 11, 2015

Maybe because interpreters are not at their computers on a Sunday. I prefer translating but many people around me thrive on interpreting and would do nothing else. How can anyone like proofreading? Aaaaarrrrrgggghhh!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:35
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation by far! Oct 11, 2015

As I said before (another repeated poll) I have been working as a full-time translator for over 30 years and I have never even thought of being an interpreter. I lack the interpersonal skills and quick tongue needed to be an interpreter. I’m kind of a perfectionist by nature and I like having the time to pay attention to all the details and the style of the source documents, as well as the accuracy and significance of the terms used. Immediacy is not my specialty!

In general, I d
... See more
As I said before (another repeated poll) I have been working as a full-time translator for over 30 years and I have never even thought of being an interpreter. I lack the interpersonal skills and quick tongue needed to be an interpreter. I’m kind of a perfectionist by nature and I like having the time to pay attention to all the details and the style of the source documents, as well as the accuracy and significance of the terms used. Immediacy is not my specialty!

In general, I do not enjoy proofreading and I refuse most of the assignments. That being said I have an arrangement with an ex-colleague of mine (we worked together for 20 years) where we proofread each other. I also accept proofreading tasks from one translation agency as I know the translator and I trust her work… I must add that I have learned quite a few things proofreading other’s work...

I don’t’ offer testing and editing services.
Collapse

Jane Nizi
Jane Nizi
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:35
Italian to English
Variety is the spice of life! Oct 11, 2015

I mostly translate (and enjoy translating), but I do enjoy proofreading or editing other translations (when they are done well in the first place) as I always learn something and I think the final product always benefits from the process, so in that sense it's also satisfying to be part the process. That said, I'm often reluctant to accept editing or proofreading jobs unless I have some assurance that the text has been translated well in the first place.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:35
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Other Oct 11, 2015

Subtitling. Yep.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:05
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Translation Oct 11, 2015

I love Translation mostly.

Danielys Pulve Fernandez
Danielys Pulve Fernandez
Colombia
Local time: 12:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
I enjoy interpreting Oct 12, 2015

I've been doing interpretation for a client over the past 3 years, he's my first client since I was still studying at college.

Of twelve months of the year, I work with him nine.

Since he is an older gentleman, most of the times I must travel with him. This year will be my last with him and I'm ready to spread my wings and fly with new projects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What type of work do you prefer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »