Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:51
Member (2006)
German to English
No Oct 7, 2015

whatever for? How can you "work" on your smartphoe. Phone calls obviously, and I would never send a customer an sms, and the size of the mails I get I would npt want to have them on my phone anyway.
It it is urgent, I get a call and as soon as I am back on my computer I will reply.

Clare Bentley
Clare Bentley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:51
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it's fantastic for emails Oct 7, 2015

I use mine a lot for replying to emails. It's great for me, as I have young children and am not always at my desk in usual office hours. Instead, I often work in the evenings to make up the time. My clients don't know this, and nor do they need to, as I can always be contacted, and I make a point if ensuring that I reply as quickly as I can to emails.

For this reason, I deliberately chose a phone with a fairly large screen to make it easy to type. Obviously it's still far too sm
... See more
I use mine a lot for replying to emails. It's great for me, as I have young children and am not always at my desk in usual office hours. Instead, I often work in the evenings to make up the time. My clients don't know this, and nor do they need to, as I can always be contacted, and I make a point if ensuring that I reply as quickly as I can to emails.

For this reason, I deliberately chose a phone with a fairly large screen to make it easy to type. Obviously it's still far too small to actually do any translation work, but at least I can download and open files and accept or decline job offers easily.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
only for emails and submitting quotes Oct 7, 2015

I do.
I only use my smartphone to answer quickly to any emails that I may receive from clients or agencies and also to send quotes to them.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only to check my mail when I am out. Oct 7, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

And even then, only for firing off quick e-mails. If an e-mail comes with an attachment I'd rather look at it on a bigger screen.

Exactly the same for me.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 7, 2015

I wrote this about a year and a half ago: http://www.opl10nt9n.com/blog/4-steps-to-mobile-translation-on-android-devices

I don't make a habit of it, but I do occasionally translate from my cellphone. The voice recognition is pretty accurate and it's just like using Dragon. I also just purchased a Nextbook, which is basically an 11" laptop that r
... See more
I wrote this about a year and a half ago: http://www.opl10nt9n.com/blog/4-steps-to-mobile-translation-on-android-devices

I don't make a habit of it, but I do occasionally translate from my cellphone. The voice recognition is pretty accurate and it's just like using Dragon. I also just purchased a Nextbook, which is basically an 11" laptop that runs on Android instead of Windows or iOS and it only cost $150. I use it when I'm out of the office.

They're only tools
Collapse

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:21
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
only to check emails Oct 7, 2015

Not for work, only to check emails.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 13:51
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Very smart decision Oct 8, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

I let only privileged and valued customers have access to the e-mail account and phone number of my smartphone so that I can get advance notice of incoming work. I also let them know that I don't accept urgent short turnaround jobs.

I don't want to be chained to my work when I leave the office.

Very smart decision. My private number is only for most important customers/family members.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Yes, it's very useful Oct 8, 2015

As others have said, it's a good way of replying to emails while out and about, having a quick look at source texts, etc. Sometimes, I use it to jot down phrases that suddenly come to mind while I'm walking the dog.

Jane Nizi
Jane Nizi
United Kingdom
Italian to English
well, well, well... Oct 8, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Obviously I use a thickcomputer for the actual translating process, but a smartphone is handy for keeping the office open even when I'm out and about with my many lovers

I wonder how your many lovers feel about you being distracted by your smartphone when you're out and about with them.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:51
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Unthought Oct 8, 2015

Once again, a question poorly devised leads to poor answers. The question relates to translation jobs, of course, not to contacts, e-mails, etc. Everyone naturally uses their phones for contact/office purposes.
Now regarding the translation itself, I don't think it's advisable.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »