Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever worked past midnight on a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 3, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever worked past midnight on a project?".

This poll was originally submitted by Andrea Garfield-Barkworth. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (between regularly and occasionally) Oct 3, 2015

When I started out freelancing some 40 years ago, all-nighters were very regular, as I had a full-time job, and I would push through the night with a few espressos in order to beat a deadline. I still work past midnight occasionally, but my all-nighters are long gone...

raptisi
raptisi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:05
English to Greek
+ ...
Not only Oct 3, 2015

And until 6:00 AM, when I had to go to my other, regular job

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Only once in my first year of translating Oct 3, 2015

Once was enough to realize how ill-advised and counterproductive it was. (At least for me).

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Once Oct 3, 2015

I voted "occasionally" but it happened only once as an exception.

I don't work past 6-7 PM. My productivity work-wise is so low that the next morning would be spent on cleaning up all the nonsense I'd produced in the previous evening.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No, and I wouldn't! Oct 3, 2015

I can't even think straight after 8pm.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, occasionally Oct 3, 2015

It's no big deal. I don't have to get up in the morning at a set time or take kids to school etc., so my schedule is pretty flexible. I can usually chop and change any arrangements I might have in order to deal with things as they crop up.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but never again Oct 3, 2015

I am a natural night-owl and tend to stay up late. This is not good and, as others have noted, for most people, myself included, productivity and accuracy drops off late at night even if one is not conscious of it at the time. Far better to go to bed early and get up very early. That's something I haven't yet managed though.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
All the time Oct 3, 2015

It's a routine for me. That's when the interruptions stop. Since I don't have a human family and my dogs are very patient, there's no urgency for me to get up early the next day.

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:35
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Always Oct 3, 2015

I always thought all translators stayed up late. However, this poll nudges me to try and stay with the majority.

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Every day Oct 3, 2015

It's when I'm most productive - everyone is in bed, things are quieter, and I also know that I can't put anything off till later like I can do earlier in the day. I then don't set my alarm for any time in the morning so I always get better sleep and can get back into work slowly. It's definitely what works best for me

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:05
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 3, 2015

I've always been a late starter so working into the evenings is normal for me when I've got a heavy workload, but I have a psychological 11 PM drop off point, and working beyond that seems like infringement on my personal time and life. I need a couple of hours to wind down, read a book, listen to some music before finally hitting the sack.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I have done Oct 3, 2015

But I try to avoid doing so whenever possible, since it has a knock-on effect on the following days - for me anyway.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I have, and wish I could again Oct 3, 2015

Freelancing has definitely put me in touch with my brain's natural rhythm, and I now know what my ideal working day would be... unfortunately, living with three other people in a limited space makes it nigh-on impossible to sustain. Ideally, I would work from say 7 till 1, spend the afternoon doing stuff not presenting huge intellectual challenges, including a really good sleep, then sit back down to it from say 10 till 1, when my brain is once more fizzing and particularly creative (not to say ... See more
Freelancing has definitely put me in touch with my brain's natural rhythm, and I now know what my ideal working day would be... unfortunately, living with three other people in a limited space makes it nigh-on impossible to sustain. Ideally, I would work from say 7 till 1, spend the afternoon doing stuff not presenting huge intellectual challenges, including a really good sleep, then sit back down to it from say 10 till 1, when my brain is once more fizzing and particularly creative (not to say ever-so-slightly mad!). Until that day comes, I will try to avoid going past about 11, or I simply don't get enough sleep for it to be sustainable.Collapse

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Oct 3, 2015

Used to do that every day when I was young :-0)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever worked past midnight on a project?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »