Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you keep the availability calendar in your profile updated?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
turn it OFF Sep 28, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

I completely forgot that it existed, so I'll probably turn it off now!

Good girl!

I might have updated it before Obama entered office the first time, then forgot about it.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:43
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I used to... Sep 28, 2015

I used to all the time - get a few days work and update my Proz calender in RED, or get a really long project and pleasurably mark myself as "busy" RED. Until I realised there's no point, as pointed out by Susana in her OP. So I now set my calender as GREEN all the time.

The third-parties who post jobs on Proz probably don't understand the rules and etiquette of the site, so by keeping my calendar green I'm stating that I'm available for contact and potential discussion on jobs (reg
... See more
I used to all the time - get a few days work and update my Proz calender in RED, or get a really long project and pleasurably mark myself as "busy" RED. Until I realised there's no point, as pointed out by Susana in her OP. So I now set my calender as GREEN all the time.

The third-parties who post jobs on Proz probably don't understand the rules and etiquette of the site, so by keeping my calendar green I'm stating that I'm available for contact and potential discussion on jobs (regardless of whether I actually respond to any of them) and irrespective of whether it looks like I've got any work.

A big RED go away sign doesn't work for me.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:43
English to French
Off Sep 28, 2015

I may have updated the calendar a few times since its inception to see how it works.
I disabled the feature shortly after, because I can't be bothered to update it any time my schedule changes and I don't see the point of having a calendar that's not up-to-date.

Some features of this site are helpful to some, totally useless to others.

Philippe

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:43
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not that it makes a lot of difference, but yes Sep 28, 2015

I update three months every quarter. I'm not really sure it has any use, but if it will ever be useful to two people, it will cost me nothing to use a mere minute of my time to update it. I try to keep my profile up to date, and this is part of it.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:43
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Yes, usually Sep 29, 2015

But I have proof it makes no difference: I tend to get more offers through proz the months I put myself as unavailable (red)

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes but no Sep 29, 2015

I answered yes to the poll then thought that I've just started a job that will totally occupy me for the next three weeks - and hadn't updated the calendar.
Says it all, really. I'm going to disable it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep the availability calendar in your profile updated?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »