Poll: Have you ever discovered that by sheer coincidence you know someone mentioned in a translation job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 27, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever discovered that by sheer coincidence you know someone mentioned in a translation job?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jessica Noyes. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 27, 2015

I assume the question refers to people I know personally.

This happened fairly often when I worked in-house. I continue to translate for the organization I retired from (Regional Office of the World Health Organization in Washington, D.C.). The documents have often referred to in-house professionals, hired experts, national representatives, or conference delegates whom I have met or worked with.

These contacts have included a few notables: Albert Sabin, René Dubos, an
... See more
I assume the question refers to people I know personally.

This happened fairly often when I worked in-house. I continue to translate for the organization I retired from (Regional Office of the World Health Organization in Washington, D.C.). The documents have often referred to in-house professionals, hired experts, national representatives, or conference delegates whom I have met or worked with.

These contacts have included a few notables: Albert Sabin, René Dubos, and Gro Harlem Brundtland (former prime minister of Norway and at one point Director-General of WHO).

Recently I've been checking out the authors of the documents I translate on LinkedIn and Facebook. I like to see their faces and learn more about their background.

[Edited at 2015-09-27 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:36
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Sep 27, 2015

but only because they are well known to everyone.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes. Er, no actually! Sep 27, 2015

It happens a lot, indeed it is more common than not.
A large part of my work is in the field of professional ocean-racing. I married into (and out of!) the milieu and it's a small world!
Edit : sorry, this should be a "no" as I neither discover it by coincidence, nor is it a coincidence.

[Edited at 2015-09-27 14:29 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:36
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, many, Sep 27, 2015

Working in-house for large companies. But I know what you meant with this question, in which case, my answer is "no, never", except for famous people, who shouldn't count here.

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
Yes, often Sep 27, 2015

I translate art texts and prior to becoming a translator spent over twelve years in the field, studying at several universities (earning two MAs and a PhD) and working in several art museums. With a background like that, I often come across the names of people I know in the texts I translate -- and often even personally know the audience for my translations!

This is not "sheer coincidence", but I'll put it out there anyway.

Sarah

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
German to English
+ ...
Twice that I remember Sep 27, 2015

I once translated a medical report written by a Palestinian doctor in Germany who used to work here in Palestine and was my husband's colleague.

Another time I translated a CV of the daughter of an old friend from my Hamburg years, which I recognized due to the unusual name.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
husband's relation Sep 27, 2015

I was translating a series of legal documents.
They came from an agency in another town, quite far from here.

I found that they were all prepared by a lawyer who is the daughter of one of my husband's huge number of cousins. We're sure about it as they have an uncommon surname and her first name is the same as a favourite unmarried aunt.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A couple of coincidences Sep 27, 2015

Earlier I commented on people I had met through my office.

In the coincidence department, several times I had texts about a previous next-door neighbor (he was more of a big shot than I realized). I also had a text that mentioned a psychiatrist who was treating a friend of mine.

[Edited at 2015-09-27 23:48 GMT]

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Sep 28, 2015

And if yes, it shall be not discussed anywhere.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
All the time Sep 28, 2015

I find it very hard to translate lots of the stuff they say about my cousin Snoop Dogg, cos he's a lovely lad really

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever discovered that by sheer coincidence you know someone mentioned in a translation job?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »