Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which best reflects your opinion of CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:53
Member (2006)
German to English
Practical CAT? Sep 13, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

Just like Teresa, I was "forced" to use Trados for a while, and hated it. I figured I translated a lot less with the CAT than without it. But that was Trados, which is too complex and too polluted, with too many useless functions and buttons, bugs and crashes, etc. After that experience, I spent years positioning myself against the CATs because of the bad impression caused by Trados.

Until a few years ago when I had a great oppotunity that required a CAT. With the help of my good friend Trovão, I adopted the MemoQ. Now that is a practical CAT. No useless extras, no pollution, easy to use, etc. I've been using it for two years now, and I developed an excellent TB/TM, importing my former translations as well. It has become an essential tool for me.

Now, let's make it clear that Google Translator and on-line platforms like WordBee, SmartEngine, GTM and the like are NOT CAT tools. They are only for the agency's advantage and they stink badly.

So, you cannot consider you don't like CAT tools if you only know Trados and on-line platforms. If that's the case, you hate wine because you only tried the sweet whites. Once you try a good red & dry, you may change your opinion.

Hi Mario,

I use loads of different CAT tools and the only one that I dislike (obviuosly personal opinion) is MemoQ.
I do not know if you have used the newer versions of Trados, but they are a lot quicker and more user friendly (and significantly less complicated) than MemoQ - Where MemoQ does have its benefits for those that have used it for a while, I do not think it is fair to run down a system like you have done seeing that you are a moderator as this may influence the opinion of younger inexperienced users.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
100% Personal Opinion, no influences here. Sep 13, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

Hi Mario,

I use loads of different CAT tools and the only one that I dislike (obviuosly personal opinion) is MemoQ.
I do not know if you have used the newer versions of Trados, but they are a lot quicker and more user friendly (and significantly less complicated) than MemoQ - Where MemoQ does have its benefits for those that have used it for a while, I do not think it is fair to run down a system like you have done seeing that you are a moderator as this may influence the opinion of younger inexperienced users.

Michael,

Please note I have expressed my personal opinion, which is, first of all, perfectly fit in a democratic place such as this. I am not trying to influence anyone, just posting what I think, which by the way is not subject to criticism, since it's 100% personal. I have just erased Trados 2015 trial from my computer, as soon as the trial period was over, as I found it more polluted and impractical then ever. Now, again, that's my personal opinion. I'm sharing it with those who are interested in someone else's opinion, and I'm a nobody to influence other people's opinions, since I'm not a CAT expert, just a mere user.

Plus, the fact that I'm a moderator has absolutely nothing to do with this. I did not post anything as a moderator, yet as a ProZ user like anyone else here.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which best reflects your opinion of CAT tools?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »