Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you refer your clients to a trusted colleague if you are unavailable?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you refer your clients to a trusted colleague if you are unavailable?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, but not very often! Sep 8, 2015

If I’m too busy, there is usually some kind of deadline negotiation and most of my clients have been willing to wait (within reason).

I have referred colleagues when I knew that I could not handle a project, either because of a language pair I don’t work with (mostly Brazilian Portuguese) or a subject matter I’m not comfortable with or I don’t master…

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 8, 2015

Although they are few and far between and aren't always available either. I sometimes find it frustrating when I can't find anyone to pass on interesting work to. It happened last month a couple of times...

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:13
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Sep 8, 2015

It would be fool-hardy to do this for the same language pair as yours!

But I do this for language pairs in which I don't work, if I happen to know of a translator who is good in this language pair.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:43
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sometimes ... Sep 8, 2015

Like Teresa said, I often find that if I explain I can't complete by a suggested deadline, the client can usually extend it, so I can still undertake the job anyway. But if the deadline is really set in stone and I can't manage then I would recommend a trusted associate.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - very rarely Sep 8, 2015

Usually I either negotiate a deadline or let the client find someone else. I have a few colleagues that I know will do a very good job, and I have recommended them occasionally. But I want to be sure that they are a good match for the client.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:13
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
It depends Sep 8, 2015

If client is not giving too much work that can hamper my income then no worries to suggest other translators. But Client is giving good work and his work is also paying good contribution in my income then I don't give any reference.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why? Sep 8, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

But I do this for language pairs in which I don't work, if I happen to know of a translator who is good in this language pair.

Why would it be foolhardy? Because your otherwise trusted colleague would steal your client from you? Now that's a stupid assumption.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The meaning of being unavailable Sep 8, 2015

I like the question of this poll, and I don't say this often. Actually, this may be the second or third time I express it.

I am a bit puzzled by the responses, which betray a tinge of professional paranoia. These guarded responses also reveal that their owners are seldom “unavailable” because they can negotiate extensions for their projects.

Being a seldom unavailable translator whose trusted colleagues are on the same boat is an extraordinary situation indeed.
... See more
I like the question of this poll, and I don't say this often. Actually, this may be the second or third time I express it.

I am a bit puzzled by the responses, which betray a tinge of professional paranoia. These guarded responses also reveal that their owners are seldom “unavailable” because they can negotiate extensions for their projects.

Being a seldom unavailable translator whose trusted colleagues are on the same boat is an extraordinary situation indeed.

Now, my own take: I started my professional career in New York City. Many American cities are cosmopolitan in the sense that they have pockets of population speaking different languages, from Russian to Hindi to Spanish to Thai. Very few, by first-hand experience, can be as cosmopolitan as New York City in the sense of solidarity, when people from different cultural or linguistic extractions actually treat each other as equals, help each other, and hold each other in special consideration, with a limited amount of cultural or professional prejudice.

My first clients came by way of a Russian and French translator, Mr. Mryglot, who was asked for a Spanish proofreader and, barely knowing my abilities (only because I was working with a client of his), consistently referred me to those customers, one of whom was a typesetter. Word of mouth did the rest and I was dealing with a dozen or so of new clients.

Word of mouth cannot happen if there is professional paranoia (i.e. I'm afraid I might lose my client to my colleague if I say I'm unavailable, so I'll work something out) or a lack of will to trust someone you never met in person.

I am forever thankful to Mr. Mryglot and others who took a chance on me, trusted me and allowed my career to flourish. I am proud to say that I am doing what they did for me every chance I get.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:43
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, all the time. Sep 8, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Why would it be foolhardy? Because your otherwise trusted colleague would steal your client from you? Now that's a stupid assumption.

Of course, if I'm too busy to take the job, I'll help my client and my friends, and indicate them to the client. I do that all the time, and my friends do the same for me. The clients usually appreciate that a lot, and it ends up being a positive thing. Plus, you create a mood of cooperation among your colleagues.

The type of competition Balasubramaniam seems to be living in implies a hostile market, with little demand and large offering, and certainly not a very pleasant and advisable one.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Sep 8, 2015

Depends on the case, but I have done in the past and not regretted it

TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
I will think twice before doing it again.... Sep 8, 2015

The last time I referred my client to what I thought was a trusted colleague, things just went sour and it ended up to be a disaster.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 8, 2015

Several colleagues have kindly recommended me when they were unavailable, so it goes both ways.

It does have to be a trusted colleague, of course, not just anyone.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This reminds me of an old saying Sep 9, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

Several colleagues have kindly recommended me when they were unavailable, so it goes both ways.

It does have to be a trusted colleague, of course, not just anyone.

The old saying goes like this: If you want a friend, be a friend.

I found it that it applies wonderfully to other spheres of life.

As for looking for a trusted colleague, striving to be trustworthy has worked wonders for me.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:43
English to Russian
+ ...
A way to politely refuse Sep 9, 2015

Usually I do so as a way of polite refuse. I never do so in respect of clients, who I value.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you refer your clients to a trusted colleague if you are unavailable?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »