Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How long is a typical job/project for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 26, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long is a typical job/project for you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marjolein Snippe. View the poll results »

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:13
English to German
+ ...
Other Aug 26, 2015

Anything from 3 hours to 3 weeks.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Aug 26, 2015

There is no such thing as a typical job for me. Some jobs need perhaps 1 hour, others 10 - 20 hours, while still others cover several months.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few weeks Aug 26, 2015

I seem to be in a minority here. I'd say an overall average for my jobs is 30 K words, though of course some are shorter. They are often much longer. If it's over 100 K, I tend to burn out focusing on the same subject for such a long time, unless it's something that really fascinates me.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 26, 2015

It varies between clients, and within each client's area too. For example, one long-standing client used to send me larger, longer documents like manuals and contracts, SLAs etc., but nowadays they usually just send me shorter texts, between a few hundred to a couple of thousand words, usually for posting as news items on their website. However, they recently sent me 2 larger texts again which are a pain in the... neck, due to formatting issues (tables, text boxes) which are taking quite a bit l... See more
It varies between clients, and within each client's area too. For example, one long-standing client used to send me larger, longer documents like manuals and contracts, SLAs etc., but nowadays they usually just send me shorter texts, between a few hundred to a couple of thousand words, usually for posting as news items on their website. However, they recently sent me 2 larger texts again which are a pain in the... neck, due to formatting issues (tables, text boxes) which are taking quite a bit longer than their usual texts in workable (Word) formats.

Another market research client is sending me verbatims this week, and most of these files are around 1000 words, but I don't know how many files there will be when the project comes to a close...

They’ve just sent me a questionnaire template to translate “urgently”, but it's only 300 words.

So, basically in my case the question is tantamount to "how long is a piece of string".
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other! Aug 26, 2015

Typical? There is no such thing as a typical job. I have been working for some years with an UN agency on very long jobs (2/3 months), one of my long-standing clients tends to send longish jobs (2/3 weeks), another tends to send shortish jobs (1/2 day), most are in-between...

[Edited at 2015-08-26 12:50 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other: Random! Aug 26, 2015

Their size varies immensely.

From one same client, I have invoices (they require one invoice per job) ranging from one to five digits in USD.

The time span also varies. I had a once-in-a-lifetime client (moving out of the country) who sent me material to translate in batches, over a four-month period.

Another client sends me video to translate and subtitle. Playing time ranges from 2 minutes to 2 hours per order.

Imagine playing Sokoban with bo
... See more
Their size varies immensely.

From one same client, I have invoices (they require one invoice per job) ranging from one to five digits in USD.

The time span also varies. I had a once-in-a-lifetime client (moving out of the country) who sent me material to translate in batches, over a four-month period.

Another client sends me video to translate and subtitle. Playing time ranges from 2 minutes to 2 hours per order.

Imagine playing Sokoban with boxes of all imaginable sizes. My time management is somewhat like that.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:13
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Aug 26, 2015

Jobs can last 5 minutes - at my minimum charge, of course.

Projects can last 5 months - not at my minimum charge, of course.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Typical" jobs do not exist for me! Aug 26, 2015

My jobs are very varied and it is impossible to describe a "typical" job. As Julian said, they can take from 5 minutes to 5 months.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:13
German to English
+ ...
There is no "typical" Aug 26, 2015

Certain categories may be a typical length, but other than that, it varies.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
About a day's work on average Aug 26, 2015

Obviously some jobs are shorter and some are longer. But shortish jobs suit my attention span.

As usual, I'm slightly alarmed that so many people round here seem unable to grasp the concept of "on average"...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My average Aug 26, 2015

Chris S wrote:

As usual, I'm slightly alarmed that so many people round here seem unable to grasp the concept of "on average"...

If I had my head next to an oven going at full blast and my feet inside a bucket filled with ice cubes, the "average" temperature would be quite pleasant. That's the variety of translation jobs I get in terms of size/duration.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Aug 26, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

If I had my head next to an oven going at full blast and my feet inside a bucket filled with ice cubes, the "average" temperature would be quite pleasant. That's the variety of translation jobs I get in terms of size/duration.

I think my head would be *in* the oven...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No! Aug 26, 2015

Chris S wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I think my head would be *in* the oven...

That would kinda burn the midnight oil inside it!

I did it a couple of times in the past; don't do it any more, e.g. working 19-hour shifts on three consecutive days. Now I have successfully set limits for my maximum (work)load.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Typical vs. average Aug 26, 2015

The question is about a typical job/project, not an average one. You can't use math to answer this one.

For me, my typical project is about as long as my typical translation experience.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long is a typical job/project for you?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »