Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What do you most enjoy about your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:34
French to Dutch
+ ...
Combination Aug 25, 2015

Learning something new every day, being able to read about different topics without having the feeling I am wasting my time, working my own hours and from home (ok, these 2 not yet, since I do have a full time job... but one day...), being my own boss, more freedom, ...

And not forgetting: being a part of a community called Proz where I have my own personal translatorheroes whose opinions I follow on this website...
(Ok, I admit that I've just watched Antman a couple of days
... See more
Learning something new every day, being able to read about different topics without having the feeling I am wasting my time, working my own hours and from home (ok, these 2 not yet, since I do have a full time job... but one day...), being my own boss, more freedom, ...

And not forgetting: being a part of a community called Proz where I have my own personal translatorheroes whose opinions I follow on this website...
(Ok, I admit that I've just watched Antman a couple of days ago... I seem to be way into heroes.)
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Simple... Sep 1, 2015

I enjoy translating a well-written source text about a subject of which I have personal knowledge and experience.
The words come in a steady flow, with little effort.

roberto bormann
roberto bormann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My own conclusions Sep 1, 2015

I read all the answers, and I guess that translators are:
Curious, ever learning people.
Workaholic, workiing all day (and night) just for fun.
Independent by nature.
Fantastic people.

KHALDUN ALQAYSI
KHALDUN ALQAYSI
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 14:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
My Translation is read by many people Sep 1, 2015

I enjoy when I realize that I am not only translator but writer also to some extent.

Also, I like to translate or interpret for the public ...

Guillemette Koning
Guillemette Koning  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Working with the languages Sep 1, 2015

Like most there are several things I like a lot about my work.
Maybe most of all the thrill of understanding each of the languages I work with more profoundly every day. Learning new things, about so many subjects, investigating, finding solutions.
And this way being able to serve, to be of service to my clients.
And yes, I love to work from home, not having to go into the dirty city every day, deciding my own working hours, like many of you.

PENN TRANSL8 Budd
PENN TRANSL8 Budd
German to English
+ ...
Fun and that independent feeling Sep 2, 2015

The appreciation I get from some customers (both direct clients and project managers)
Being able to work from home
Interesting topics and learning amazing facts (sometimes while researching points)
Always something new - keeps the mind active
The money's good, too

Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
What's NOT to like? Sep 2, 2015

The days when there's nothing to do...

lindacanetti
lindacanetti
Brazil
Local time: 03:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What I enjoy most about my work? Sep 2, 2015

Aside from the flexibility, freedom and variety in freelance translating work, I would say that one of the things I love most about my work is that I learn so very much about so many different things! As translators we delve into so many different topics, careers, sectors. It's fascinating!!! (I do prefer to major in the business, leadership and education sectors, though.) I'm also a conference interpreter and that opens up a whole other world of opportunities and the fact that I can meet so man... See more
Aside from the flexibility, freedom and variety in freelance translating work, I would say that one of the things I love most about my work is that I learn so very much about so many different things! As translators we delve into so many different topics, careers, sectors. It's fascinating!!! (I do prefer to major in the business, leadership and education sectors, though.) I'm also a conference interpreter and that opens up a whole other world of opportunities and the fact that I can meet so many amazing professionals from all over the world. It fascinates me! I love it!Collapse

Anna Sarapuk
Anna Sarapuk  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The creativity Sep 2, 2015

What I like the most is the whole writing process... Thinking about the words, the phrases, putting it all together, it's kind of artistic and it makes me feel good about what I do.

Francisco ABREU
Francisco ABREU  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:34
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Things I like about my work Sep 2, 2015

Since childhood I have a compulsion for learning the inner workings of everything. I know that's an impossible task but working as a professional translator put me a little bit closer to achieving that goal.

I like to travel, I travel a lot, and I enjoy very much the flexibility my activity gives me. I pack my laptops, my gadgets, and I can be in touch with my clients, and work virtually anywhere. This freedom is priceless.

Adriana Uribe
Adriana Uribe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
A challenge is a treat in disguise Sep 3, 2015

The enjoyment of solving a puzzle, the thrill or finding the perfect word to convey the meaning in another language.
Translating offers the possibility to give a little squeeze to your brain. It does not matter how often or for how long you have translated, it never becomes a routine because every new assignment brings you into a completely new territory and teaches you even more than you could possibly imagine.
Not all challenges are as good or as interesting, however I am still t
... See more
The enjoyment of solving a puzzle, the thrill or finding the perfect word to convey the meaning in another language.
Translating offers the possibility to give a little squeeze to your brain. It does not matter how often or for how long you have translated, it never becomes a routine because every new assignment brings you into a completely new territory and teaches you even more than you could possibly imagine.
Not all challenges are as good or as interesting, however I am still to face an assignment I would rather avoid.
Collapse

Hala Magdy
Hala Magdy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
:) Sep 3, 2015

Freedom and flexibility

Tewodros T. Nigus
Tewodros T. Nigus
Ethiopia
Local time: 13:34
English to Amharic
+ ...
So many benefits and enjoyment. Sep 3, 2015

- Learning something new all the time.
- Working my own hours.
- Being my own boss and enjoying the freedom.
- Making money by doing what I love too much.
- And so many benefits mentioned by others.

mrjlozano
mrjlozano
United States
Lozano Interpreting & Translation Sep 4, 2015

Freedom.

MGM Languages
MGM Languages
Australia
Local time: 21:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
The freedom that comes with the profession! Sep 4, 2015

The main reason I started my own language business - besides my strong passion for foreign languages - is the freedom that comes with the job. Over the last 10 years, I have lived in Argentina and the US, I traveled Europe and Asia, and recently I have moved to Melbourne, Australia.

I love languages, and I love travel. I'm killing two birds with one stone.
If that's not a great reason, I don't know what is! ... See more
The main reason I started my own language business - besides my strong passion for foreign languages - is the freedom that comes with the job. Over the last 10 years, I have lived in Argentina and the US, I traveled Europe and Asia, and recently I have moved to Melbourne, Australia.

I love languages, and I love travel. I'm killing two birds with one stone.
If that's not a great reason, I don't know what is!

With respect to the actual translation work:
I love the challenge. Sometimes a sentence or a phrase can be a real puzzle. A word can be untranslatable. Or the topic can be so far out of your comfort zone that you'll have to do hours of (terminology) research to get the job done [at the quality that I find acceptable].

It's a constant learning process!

Kind regards,
M.G.M. Lutters
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you most enjoy about your work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »