Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you respond to enquiries for potential jobs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 13, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you respond to enquiries for potential jobs?".

View the poll results »

Milena Taylor
Milena Taylor  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Most of the time Aug 13, 2015

I reply to all enquiries that are sent directly to me.
If it is a "potential" job posted on ProZ, I reply only if I am available at the moment to do so and if the "potential job" is within my fields of expertise...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Aug 13, 2015

But not the one that arrived presumptuously in my inbox today without so much as a by your leave...

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Exactly Aug 13, 2015

Milena Taylor wrote:

I reply to all enquiries that are sent directly to me.
If it is a "potential" job posted on ProZ, I reply only if I am available at the moment to do so and if the "potential job" is within my fields of expertise...

Except when the "enquiry sent directly to me" is a mass mail - then I may not respond. If it's addressed to me in person, I consider it polite to respond - even negatively, and even if what they ask for is preposterous in any way.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 13, 2015

But less and less these days. I've learned that most of them don't pan out. Sometimes agencies are quoting to a potential client and want to show off a list of translators who look good on paper; then when the time comes to hire people, the go for people who charge less.

I actually had this happen to me.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 13, 2015

But I make it clear that I am only potentially available to do them

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Very rarely or always - depends Aug 13, 2015

Random agencies : I can't remember them bringing me any work at all (the lowest bidder takes it all?). I only reply when the message is personal, which is very unusual.

Known clients : of course potential jobs are welcome (and I always provide a quote), as long as I'm still free if and when they do come up.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
ALL jobs are potential... Aug 13, 2015

...until you have a PO.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 11:41
Japanese to English
Certainly Aug 13, 2015

Almost always. And I try to be as polite as possible. "Do to others as you would have them do to you" (Luke 6:31). The only time I won't reply is if I've already said "Thanks but no thanks" but the agency keeps sending out mass emails anyway. At that point I will usually ask to be taken off the list and refuse to respond any further.

[Edited at 2015-08-13 10:48 GMT]

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only from known clients..... Aug 13, 2015

and if through proz I point them to my details.....

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
no if tender only Aug 13, 2015

TransAfrique wrote:

Almost always. And I try to be as polite as possible. "Do to others as you would have them do to you" (Luke 6:31).
[Edited at 2015-08-13 10:48 GMT]

I loved your comment sooo much! I reply to all enquiries that are sent directly to me, I just feel obliged to do it. The only exception if it is a "potential" job posted on ProZ and this is a part of a tender - I never participate and if I reply, this is just a short, "No, thank you"-message. I hate these tenders: the agencies need to prove they have translators in all EU languages so they want my CV and my certificates. Foir long years whren I gave my permission, I never had a single cent of these tenders, even if I know the company won. So the just collects the CVs and then give jobs to ...who knows whom.

[Edited at 2015-08-13 12:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-13 12:10 GMT]

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
CV fraud Aug 13, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Sometimes agencies are quoting to a potential client and want to show off a list of translators who look good on paper; then when the time comes to hire people, the go for people who charge less.

Yep, this is a common practice and it's essentially CV fraud. When agencies bid for contracts, they are often required to include details of "their" translators. Of course, the translators they ultimately use to fulfil the contract could be anyone. If only end clients knew the reality...

Maja_K
Maja_K  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
I don't get ... Aug 13, 2015

Simon Bruni wrote:

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Sometimes agencies are quoting to a potential client and want to show off a list of translators who look good on paper; then when the time comes to hire people, the go for people who charge less.

Yep, this is a common practice and it's essentially CV fraud. When agencies bid for contracts, they are often required to include details of "their" translators. Of course, the translators they ultimately use to fulfil the contract could be anyone. If only end clients knew the reality...

how the agencies can do that? Someone's CV is not enough to prove that someone is "theirs", and yet somehow it works. I have given my CV a few times to agencies without getting any of the "potential work" they were promising. On the other hand, how rude is it from me if I refuse to give my CV to an agency, when I want to show a good will for a cooperation?

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:41
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Only if they write my name Aug 13, 2015

or if I already know them.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Aug 13, 2015

but only if they are serious offers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you respond to enquiries for potential jobs?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »