Poll: How do you organize your TMs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you organize your TMs?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lingua.Franca. View the poll results »

Billh
Billh
Local time: 10:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
What is a TM?? Aug 8, 2015

????

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:07
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
By project folder Aug 8, 2015

Company name - Name of PM/person-in-charge - Name or project - Delivery date

A mixture of everything, which is just perfect for me. Can\\\'t think of a better way. If you have a better modus operandi (other than using CAT tools), please feel free to suggest another way.

This is how I \\\"organize\\\'”all my work regardless of whether or not I use a CAT or not.

Something is really wrong with text input tonight.

[Edited at 2015-0
... See more
Company name - Name of PM/person-in-charge - Name or project - Delivery date

A mixture of everything, which is just perfect for me. Can\\\'t think of a better way. If you have a better modus operandi (other than using CAT tools), please feel free to suggest another way.

This is how I \\\"organize\\\'”all my work regardless of whether or not I use a CAT or not.

Something is really wrong with text input tonight.

[Edited at 2015-08-08 14:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-08 14:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-08 14:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-08 14:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-09 07:50 GMT]
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:07
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
2 simultaneous Aug 8, 2015

I always work connected to 2 TMs, one of the client/project sent with delivery and also a huge local one I have myself, because it\'s very useful for permanent consultation for different solutions I\'ve found, which may be applied to different needs, always adapting to specific context.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:07
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do not use them... Aug 8, 2015

I consider it a waste of time. I may use a CAT tool, if required, but I do not save any \"TMs\".

[Edited at 2015-08-08 16:58 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:07
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A combination Aug 8, 2015

My TM\'s are basically set up by client and language pair. My current semi-private project(s) are stored in a different TM with an all encompassing project label.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:07
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A combination Aug 9, 2015

For example, TMs for extracts from the company register, sorted by language
TMs for certificates of good concucts, sorted by language
TM for air handling units but two different TMs for 2 different clients
The question in itself too complicated.
Have a nice weekend.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:07
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
By pair (by client on demand) Aug 9, 2015

My TMs are organized by language pair, as well as my TBs. So I have two of those.

Many clients require a TM of their own and send their TM for us to import. In that case, I have specific client TMs and even TMs of multiple clients of a single agency. Yet, I save those separately, import the useful content to my TMs, and remove them from the CAT until it needs to be used again.

That way, I currently have three TMs in my CAT. EN>PT, PT>EN and one regular client (in this
... See more
My TMs are organized by language pair, as well as my TBs. So I have two of those.

Many clients require a TM of their own and send their TM for us to import. In that case, I have specific client TMs and even TMs of multiple clients of a single agency. Yet, I save those separately, import the useful content to my TMs, and remove them from the CAT until it needs to be used again.

That way, I currently have three TMs in my CAT. EN>PT, PT>EN and one regular client (in this case, it\'s not feasible to remove and add again regularly, so I just leave it active).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you organize your TMs?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »