Poll: Would you prefer an in-house position?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 7, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you prefer an in-house position?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2015

I worked in-house (an EU institution) for 20 years and loved the work, my boss, my colleagues and… the pay (I earned much more than I do now). I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork... and the helpdesk support! At this stage in my life, I definitely prefer working on my own and being left to my own devices. Would I go back? I wonder...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nah Aug 7, 2015

I like to do it outside, preferably in public.

It was different back when I was a missionary, of course.

Alexandra Villeminey
Alexandra Villeminey  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Looking for inhouse positions? Aug 7, 2015

For everybody who is interested in an inhouse position, our company Villengua (www.villengua.com) in Spain is looking for EN-DE translators.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there, done that Aug 7, 2015

I spent half my career working as a staff translator/editor for international organizations. It was great experience, and I got to travel to most of the Latin American countries (before the Internet). I learned a lot from my bosses, reviewers, and colleagues. I'm still friends with many of the people I met. The pay was excellent, and I earned a nice pension ...

But I don't miss getting up at 6:00 every morning, getting dressed in street clothes and pantyhose, braving the elements, c
... See more
I spent half my career working as a staff translator/editor for international organizations. It was great experience, and I got to travel to most of the Latin American countries (before the Internet). I learned a lot from my bosses, reviewers, and colleagues. I'm still friends with many of the people I met. The pay was excellent, and I earned a nice pension ...

But I don't miss getting up at 6:00 every morning, getting dressed in street clothes and pantyhose, braving the elements, coming home in the dark in the winter, and having to negotiate the time off to attend to personal business.

Now I'm free to live where I want to, wear comfortable clothes, enjoy the great outdoors, and do things on my own schedule.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 7, 2015

LOL...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Been there, done that 2 Aug 7, 2015

I would never have started translating without my in-house job.

My experience was much like Muriel's. The firm sponsored my translation diploma, colleagues taught me to translate, and it was worth every minute. I still have a network of colleagues directly or indirectly connected with the firm.

However, the logistics of getting into town and home again took a toll on my private life, and although I was miserable at leaving, I soon found myself in my element as a freelan
... See more
I would never have started translating without my in-house job.

My experience was much like Muriel's. The firm sponsored my translation diploma, colleagues taught me to translate, and it was worth every minute. I still have a network of colleagues directly or indirectly connected with the firm.

However, the logistics of getting into town and home again took a toll on my private life, and although I was miserable at leaving, I soon found myself in my element as a freelancer. I still had my virtual colleagues, but no cigarettes, perfume or other migraine triggers... We could all be really nice people and forget each other's irritating little foibles.

I do miss the helpful accounts department when I have to make out invoices! I could almost go back to commuting... But hey, nothing in this world is perfect! I firmly resolve to get at least three off before the next cup of coffee or any other procrastination, and sooner or later there is a whole month to go before I have to make out invoices again.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...

Nearly 20 years as an in-house translator suffice.

Despite the security of an in-house position, e. g. fixed and guaranteed monthly salary, social security, paid vacation, etc., I love my independence too much to surrender it again.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 08:50
Japanese to English
I can be had Aug 7, 2015

As the Million-Dollar Man said, "Everybody has a price." For the low, negotiable sum of just $20,000 USD a month, I can actually see myself waking up at 5am every morning to go to the office for a whole six months. Maybe even seven!

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Aug 7, 2015

20 years ago I would have said yes; partly because I did not know all the benefits of being independent.

Today it's definitely no, not in a million years! (if I had that many)

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never again! Aug 7, 2015

I started out as an in-house interpreter and occasional translator, and I honestly have nightmares about going back.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:50
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

I guess there is not much more to say about this.

Most people who had an in-house position before and were subject to a supervisor, predefined working hours, company standards and other human-destroying relations, simply DO NOT want any of that again.

Although I never had remunerated annual leaves, annual bonuses, profit sharing, severance fund, meal vouchers, health plan and social security all paid by the employer, again once I gave up fixed jobs (20 years in total),
... See more
I guess there is not much more to say about this.

Most people who had an in-house position before and were subject to a supervisor, predefined working hours, company standards and other human-destroying relations, simply DO NOT want any of that again.

Although I never had remunerated annual leaves, annual bonuses, profit sharing, severance fund, meal vouchers, health plan and social security all paid by the employer, again once I gave up fixed jobs (20 years in total), I still don't want it again. Never again, for as long as I can live with my own work and standards.

[Edited at 2015-08-07 20:12 GMT]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe. Aug 7, 2015

It depends enormously on the nature of the in-house position.

--Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you prefer an in-house position?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »