Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever delivered a project to the wrong client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 5, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever delivered a project to the wrong client?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 5, 2015

"I might be daft, but I'm not stupid"...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Aug 5, 2015

neilmac wrote:

"I might be daft, but I'm not stupid"...

Not until now and it's extremely unlikely to happen as I always send my translation by replying to the client’s email and I check and recheck that everything is in order.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Not intentionally... Aug 5, 2015

... but I did somehow manage to copy in another client (at the top of my contact list) on a reply. I still have no idea how it happened, and it's never happened before or since. Fortunately, the second client e-mailed me straight back to say she assumed she'd received the translation in error and would delete it immediately. The joys of Outlook, perhaps?

[Edited at 2015-08-05 08:53 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Luckily it was only the wrong department of the same agency Aug 5, 2015

I barely remember the details, but I have an idea that in my in-house days I sent a job to the Danish department instead of Oslo in Norway. (Or was it the other way round?) No great harm done - we sent a quick round of mails and apologised!

After that I started opening the files I had actually attached to the mail, checking that the uncleaned file was attached as well, or whatever the client wanted.
I take great care, because some jobs are highly confidential.

I
... See more
I barely remember the details, but I have an idea that in my in-house days I sent a job to the Danish department instead of Oslo in Norway. (Or was it the other way round?) No great harm done - we sent a quick round of mails and apologised!

After that I started opening the files I had actually attached to the mail, checking that the uncleaned file was attached as well, or whatever the client wanted.
I take great care, because some jobs are highly confidential.

I have still managed to send the source instead of the translation a couple of times... so much for being bilingual!
Apart from that, it is important to send the final, proofread version
It was (and probably still is) necessary to save and close the file before attaching it to the mail, or the last corrections are not included! I have sometimes had comments about mysterious typos that I KNOW I had corrected.

You live and learn. What you see on screen is NOT always what gets attached to the e-mail...
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes, of course Aug 5, 2015

It's very easy to attach the wrong file when you send off an email.

I suppose I'll have to make a special effort not to send the nuclear missile blueprints I'm currently translating for the US Army to any of my ISIS customers by mistake.

Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
No Aug 5, 2015

... but on one occasion I managed to send an invoice to the wrong agency and, surprisingly, they paid it a few months later despite having an internal system that generates invoices so that freelancers don't need to send theirs. I wish it was always that easy to get paid!

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:39
German to Turkish
+ ...
No Aug 5, 2015

but once I sent some of my not-so-confidential files to a client instead of my accountant. I believe this might also happen with other files and other recipients (hopefully not)

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
No (I hope not) Aug 5, 2015

This is something I always check (and re-check) before sending any e-mail.

[Edited at 2015-08-05 10:34 GMT]

Britt Laux
Britt Laux  Identity Verified
German to Norwegian
+ ...
No Aug 5, 2015

but I once sent an invoice to the wrong client. They noticed it right away though, and did not pay it. I also sent an e-mail to the wrong client once, because two PM's at two different clients had similar names.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
No Aug 5, 2015

but I did once send an invoice to the wrong client when dealing with two entirely unrelated clients with almost identical names.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, and I lived to tell the story Aug 5, 2015

I was mortified, of course, when one client wrote back straight away, saying something along the lines of, "I imagine you intended to send this text to somebody else?"

To my knowledge, I have only made this mistake once, and I do pride myself of being highly meticulous... but also admit to being very human. These things happen... they shouldn't, but they do.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Aug 5, 2015

Not yet, anyway. And I hope it will never happen.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 5, 2015

This hasn't (yet) made the list of "Dumb-f#%k Things I've Done."

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Wrong invoice Aug 5, 2015

I haven't (I hope!) sent a translation to the wrong client but, like others here, I did once send an invoice to the wrong client, also because their names were very alike. Embarrassing, but luckily the rate I was charging to both clients was the same.
The client quickly informed me of my mistake and no harm was done.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever delivered a project to the wrong client?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »