Poll: Which of these will you invest in over the next 12 months?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 3, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which of these will you invest in over the next 12 months?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:00
Member (2006)
German to English
More Aug 3, 2015

Hardware, Software and Memberships

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 3, 2015

I have no idea. I don't even know what I'm having for lunch today, never mind anything else...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hardware Aug 3, 2015

My computer is 3 years old and it's beginning to act up. I love it, but I need to be ready for when the time comes.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
None Aug 3, 2015

At least no investments are planned over the next twelve months. This might, of course, change in the... next 12 months.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:00
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Hardware Aug 3, 2015

First, followed by marketing, which done properly - i.e. cost-effectively - does not really cost a lot.

I had a computer scare recently, one my computers, an XP machine - remember those? they run on steam - acted up funny. It started up then froze during booting. Countless different symptoms. It would not start up at all or it would reach the desktop but freeze while I hastily made backups. Aaaaarh! Then I felt the top of the enclosure and it was hot, burning hot. I removed the side
... See more
First, followed by marketing, which done properly - i.e. cost-effectively - does not really cost a lot.

I had a computer scare recently, one my computers, an XP machine - remember those? they run on steam - acted up funny. It started up then froze during booting. Countless different symptoms. It would not start up at all or it would reach the desktop but freeze while I hastily made backups. Aaaaarh! Then I felt the top of the enclosure and it was hot, burning hot. I removed the side panel and found that the power supply unit was overheating. XP, or any other computer at that, probably has a function for automatically shutting down if self diagnostics finds that there's a problem with the power supply.

I pointed the desk fan at the offending part for a while and rebooted after the unit had cooled down. It's been working fine ever since. I'm making a point of not leaving the machine on for 2 or 3 nights at a time. Even I'd overheat.

So, back to hardware. I'm getting a new Raid configuration machine soon even though I will hard to go over to the Dark Side and upgrade to Windows 7.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Is investing the same as subscribing as always? Aug 3, 2015

I have just upgraded one of my dictionary subscriptions to professional - I made an enquiry, and the sales agent made me a special offer for a one-person company. Their minimum five-license terms are too expensive for me.
Otherwise I would have continued with the private individual subscription at roughly the same cost, but with slightly less service

I subscribe to a number of things as a matter of course as 'in
... See more
I have just upgraded one of my dictionary subscriptions to professional - I made an enquiry, and the sales agent made me a special offer for a one-person company. Their minimum five-license terms are too expensive for me.
Otherwise I would have continued with the private individual subscription at roughly the same cost, but with slightly less service

I subscribe to a number of things as a matter of course as 'investments' in my business. Software (dictionaries, CAT tool)
Memberships - I have actually dropped the trade union and unemployment fund. From now on, it's pension for me if I can't keep on working! I am still keeping the rest up.

Education and training - maybe. If the trade union offers any good one-day courses, I'll have to pay now, but that is not a problem.

Hardware - I hope not. I bought a new computer and printer last year.

The powwow and translator events are more likely.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Aug 3, 2015

Hardware, software, training, subscriptions - but, like Christine, I am not sure I see those as investment costs, more like running costs.

I want to have the best tools I can afford to work efficiently and effectively and I will participate in training for that same reason. I love what I do and I want to do it as well as I possibly can, and I want to work as efficiently and effectively as possible, so I can have the maximum possible time not working which I can spend with my childr
... See more
Hardware, software, training, subscriptions - but, like Christine, I am not sure I see those as investment costs, more like running costs.

I want to have the best tools I can afford to work efficiently and effectively and I will participate in training for that same reason. I love what I do and I want to do it as well as I possibly can, and I want to work as efficiently and effectively as possible, so I can have the maximum possible time not working which I can spend with my children (and partner) and on my hobbies and interests and all those hours spent behind the computer will have as little negative impact on my health as possible, you know what they say: sitting is the 'new' smoking.

I've never done any marketing/had marketing done for me, per se, and I don't really know how to go about it.
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Travel to source language country. Aug 3, 2015

It is high time I went to Russia again to brush some of the rust off my spoken Russian.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
People should Aug 3, 2015

really think a bit more before preparing their quick poll questions!

Is it possible for anyone to invest in only one of these things in a period of 12 months?

Perhaps some actually chose one of the items, but I doubt any professional translator will not spend a dime in at least two of these within a year.

[Edited at 2015-08-03 17:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-03 18:46 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 04:00
Japanese to English
Hardware Aug 3, 2015

Wizard needs new desktop badly.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
All of the above Aug 3, 2015

The major one this year was the ProZ.com conference in Rotterdam. Hardware was just a USB stick and a mouse I thi k. Maybe next year I'll buy a new desktop. I dread that though - not really the expense but it's so stressful.

Software, memberships etc are a given for any year.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which of these will you invest in over the next 12 months?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »