Poll: Do you provide desktop publishing (DTP) services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 26, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you provide desktop publishing (DTP) services?".

This poll was originally submitted by Paulo César Mendes MD, CT. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 26, 2015

I have never been asked and I have no time and no aptitude for DTP! If asked I have an easy solution at hand...

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/280870-poll_do_you_provide_desktop_publishing_dtp_services.html

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I used to Jul 26, 2015

I used to do it a lot (3 regular newsletters and a journal). The journal (I did about 15 hard copy issues) went online in a crude format and then fizzled out. Nowadays many newsletters are done online in HTML

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
DTP services Jul 26, 2015

Like Teresa Borges, I've answered this question before. However, I have something new to add.

Sure, many translation agencies and direct clients have DTP departments, graphic design departments and typesetting departments. Very seldom is the case that such departments have professionals versed in the written form of foreign languages, let alone writing and typographic conventions.

Whenever it's possible for the client and me, I partner up to share at least knowledge of
... See more
Like Teresa Borges, I've answered this question before. However, I have something new to add.

Sure, many translation agencies and direct clients have DTP departments, graphic design departments and typesetting departments. Very seldom is the case that such departments have professionals versed in the written form of foreign languages, let alone writing and typographic conventions.

Whenever it's possible for the client and me, I partner up to share at least knowledge of how Spanish copy should be typeset or redesigned in different formats to achieve its true purpose. I gently school them away from simple visual comparisons, like “the Spanish sentence must have three exclamation marks because the English sentence has them.”

Very few Spanish translators know the writing and typographic conventions of their own language. Imagine how little the bilingual arrivistes really know in that matter.

Now, a marketing plug: If you do not offer desktop publishing services in German, Italian, Spanish, etc., for your clients, kindly send them to me for DTP services. You'll find the requisite info on my website (see my Proz profile).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you provide desktop publishing (DTP) services?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »