Poll: If you had to, which type of client would you choose between these two:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 25, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you had to, which type of client would you choose between these two:".

This poll was originally submitted by Berenice Font. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:14
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If I had to choose Jul 25, 2015

between the two, I'll go every time with the first choice:
Higher rates: are always welcome!
Tight deadlines: it depends on what tight means exactly and deadlines can be negotiated!
Weekend work: I do it quite often anyway and I prefer taking days off when everyone else is "busy"...

P.S. I should add that as a service provider I'm the one stating the price for a particular job and not the client...

[Edited at 2015-07-25 08:59 GMT]

Markus Perndl
Markus Perndl
Austria
Local time: 15:14
Italian to German
+ ...
Other Jul 25, 2015

I prefer high rates, generous deadlines and office hours. Why should this be a contradiction?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Higher rates, tight deadlines, work on weekends Jul 25, 2015

That's my modus operandi.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 25, 2015

I habitually work weekends and 99% of the time it doesn't bother me. My only problem with tight deadlines is that I need to accommodate my loyal, long-standing regular clients and when 2 or 3 of them appear at the same time with "urgent" requests, it can get a bit hectic.

My ideal client would be one that factored in translation time when planning (if they do actually plan things) their materials, and that made sure the texts were translated BEFORE putting them into a shiny yet larg
... See more
I habitually work weekends and 99% of the time it doesn't bother me. My only problem with tight deadlines is that I need to accommodate my loyal, long-standing regular clients and when 2 or 3 of them appear at the same time with "urgent" requests, it can get a bit hectic.

My ideal client would be one that factored in translation time when planning (if they do actually plan things) their materials, and that made sure the texts were translated BEFORE putting them into a shiny yet largely unworkable PDF format. Obviously high rates, prompt payment and flexible deadlines would be nice too, but you can't have the moon on a stick, at least not around here.
Collapse

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
lower rates better deadlines office hours Jul 25, 2015

but that's because I do a lot of interpreting so it's easier to manage, and I've got the weekends to catch up with the translations if need be

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not lower rates Jul 25, 2015

Accepting lower rates means working more hours for the same income, e. g. including weekends. So it's better to choose the higher rates and work on weekends (which I do anyway), and keep on one's toes regarding the tight deadlines.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 25, 2015

Decent rates (MY rates)
Appropriate deadlines
Reasonable working hours

I.e. I'd opt for a professional agreement any time...

Weird question

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My view exactly! Jul 25, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:
Decent rates (MY rates)
Appropriate deadlines
Reasonable working hours

Weird question

My rates are reasonable but they only relate to reasonable demands. If a client wants their particular job to jump the queue and/or expects me to take nothing more than minimum comfort breaks or to work outside normal working hours, then that client will have to pay a higher rate. That doesn't prevent me from choosing to work odd hours when it suits me, or helping regular clients out at no extra charge if I feel it's appropriate.

Actually, if some of the 'offers' I receive are representative, it's more normal for LOW rates to go hand in hand with tight deadlines. When your 'agency' client is third in line, there's little left for the translator in terms of money or time.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I definitely agree with Gitte too Jul 25, 2015

However, to answer the question, as a regular state of affairs I would generally prefer medium good rates and feasible deadlines, though not necessarily office hours, over tight deadlines and weekend work no matter how high the rates.

It would mean that sometimes I would simply turn down the jobs - as I did ten days ago, in spite of an offer of an extra bonus for weekend work. I often have other things to do with my weekends and I need to recuperate after a burst of rushed activity.
... See more
However, to answer the question, as a regular state of affairs I would generally prefer medium good rates and feasible deadlines, though not necessarily office hours, over tight deadlines and weekend work no matter how high the rates.

It would mean that sometimes I would simply turn down the jobs - as I did ten days ago, in spite of an offer of an extra bonus for weekend work. I often have other things to do with my weekends and I need to recuperate after a burst of rushed activity. Both were the case just then.

The overall earnings are probably better at the regular, steady rate, provided the rates are reasonable.

The quality of the output is definitely better when there is time to 'sleep on it' and check again before delivering a job.
Collapse

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
no problem with weekends Jul 25, 2015

I hate "tight deadlines" because I hate to panic, when I realise, for example, that something is harder then I thought it would be, or that there weird formatting thingies. Working at weekends, however, is not a problem at all. I prefer to have time off during the week. Films are cheaper, dentists are available, beaches are not so crowded.......

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Incomplete, rather than weird Jul 25, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Decent rates (MY rates)
Appropriate deadlines
Reasonable working hours

Weird question

The question assumes an either/or, black-or-white, for-us-or-against-us mentality. Humans have thoughts richer than that.

Agreed. Decent rates, negotiable and reasonable demands on deadlines and working hours.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:14
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
This is not an actual choice, Jul 26, 2015

It's our routine: reasonable rates, tight deadline, work on weekends, term for payment longer that we would like.

[Edited at 2015-07-26 23:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you had to, which type of client would you choose between these two:

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »