Poll: Do you use speech recognition programs to aid in your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 23, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use speech recognition programs to aid in your translation work?".

This poll was originally submitted by TAKAKO CN6YR. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No and I'm not interested in it at all! Jul 23, 2015

Same answer as before (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/251815-poll_do_you_use_speech_recognition_software_while_translating.html):

When I worked in-house all the translators were invited to try for one or two weeks an experimental version of some speech recognition software (can't remember which) a
... See more
Same answer as before (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/251815-poll_do_you_use_speech_recognition_software_while_translating.html):

When I worked in-house all the translators were invited to try for one or two weeks an experimental version of some speech recognition software (can't remember which) and I hated it!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, frequently Jul 23, 2015

I've been using DNS for a few years now and I find it helps take the strain off my wrists and back. It occasionally makes amusing mistakes too, which is nice

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes, frequently Jul 23, 2015

There's nothing better than translating 2,000 words in 2 hours and taking the rest of the day to yourself

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Jul 23, 2015

I have been using it every increasingly over the last couple of years.
It has completely changed the way I work and I like it.
It seemed like a natural progress as I quite often talked to my computer anyway.
Like Neil, I also appreciate the random comedy factor that it throws into my day.
My one-sided arguments with my 'stupid computer' seem to entertain the rest of the family as well.

I am surprised such a low percentage are using this type of tool.

Diana Llorente
Diana Llorente  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No, but I think that it depends on what type of texts you translate Jul 23, 2015

I'm sometimes surprised at the enphasis that it's put in using systems that would help you type quicker, because to me that doesn't have much effect in my translation speed. But I guess that this depends a lot on the type of texts.

I normally translate highly specilised documents that require a lot of investigation to fully understand the text and to look for the real terminology used in that industry. My typing speed is probably 5% of the time required for translating and the rest
... See more
I'm sometimes surprised at the enphasis that it's put in using systems that would help you type quicker, because to me that doesn't have much effect in my translation speed. But I guess that this depends a lot on the type of texts.

I normally translate highly specilised documents that require a lot of investigation to fully understand the text and to look for the real terminology used in that industry. My typing speed is probably 5% of the time required for translating and the rest goes to investigation (and I type very quickly anyway). And writing helps me think too.

In my case, the main way to increase speed in a translation is to manage terminology well, and to focus in my main fields of expertise (so I don't need to investigate as much!).

I also wonder if speech recognisition softwares are good with not so common terminology...
Collapse

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Does it work with Trados Studio? Jul 23, 2015

The idea is great for the reasons nielmac describes, but Trados Studio is more important. I don't know anything about this topic, but could you use, e.g., DNS with Trados?

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dictation Jul 23, 2015

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

There's nothing better than translating 2,000 words in 2 hours and taking the rest of the day to yourself

It's even better dictating 4000 words in an hour and have my typist deliver a perfect transcription a short time after.....

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 05:57
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Learning curve Jul 23, 2015

Dragon NaturallySpeaking, the most popular and obvious choice of speak recognition, is a complex program. However its complexity goes hand-in-hand with its diverse and exhaustive functions. Just like the second/foreign languages that we learned, it took a lot of time, effort and trial and error for me to get this program to work. I think many people get frustrated with software, not just speech recognition software, because they expect a lot from it within a short period of time. Think of all th... See more
Dragon NaturallySpeaking, the most popular and obvious choice of speak recognition, is a complex program. However its complexity goes hand-in-hand with its diverse and exhaustive functions. Just like the second/foreign languages that we learned, it took a lot of time, effort and trial and error for me to get this program to work. I think many people get frustrated with software, not just speech recognition software, because they expect a lot from it within a short period of time. Think of all the things that you can do with Microsoft Word. How many people are able to master even 50% of its potential? I'm still learning how to deploy some commands in NaturallySpeaking, and I have owned the program for several years now.

I would like to add that Dragon is limited when it comes to controlling windows and clicking on various parts of a window (buttons, hyperlinks) as well as controlling the mouse. This is why, if you have made the investment (not a small one) in Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you should really consider purchasing add-on programs such as VoiceComputer and KnowBrainer. They will vastly increase the functionality of NaturallySpeaking and enhance your speech recognition experience.

Lastly, I would like to remind you that speech recognition is not only about speed-it is also lovely to be dictating this text, for example, with your feet up or standing up if you want to stretch. Think of it as an entire workflow as well as lifestyle.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You must have to know what you want to say Jul 23, 2015

I don't think it would fit well with my way of working. I don't just need "a" translation for my marketing texts; I need to make each word sound as positive as possible (while still being an accurate translation, of course). I rarely read a sentence and have the right translation ready to come out of my fingertips or my mouth. I'm sure I'd instantly want to change what I'd said. I know it's possible with DNS etc, but I don't think it would be very ergonomic.

I think it would also se
... See more
I don't think it would fit well with my way of working. I don't just need "a" translation for my marketing texts; I need to make each word sound as positive as possible (while still being an accurate translation, of course). I rarely read a sentence and have the right translation ready to come out of my fingertips or my mouth. I'm sure I'd instantly want to change what I'd said. I know it's possible with DNS etc, but I don't think it would be very ergonomic.

I think it would also send my husband mad, and the cat would constantly be prowling round looking for my companion.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Doubt it Jul 23, 2015

Billh wrote:

It's even better dictating 4000 words in an hour and have my typist deliver a perfect transcription a short time after.....

About 11 pages an hour? I wouldn't make such claims in a public forum.

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
Doubt it as much as you like but ..... Jul 23, 2015

Billh wrote:

About 11 pages an hour? I wouldn't make such claims in a public forum.

In my field I reckon on 5-6 hours work a day, 10000 plus words a day, maybe 2.5 million words a year - I am semi-retired now but for years this was my norm. You just have to know your stuff, stick to a field you know and become expert in, be efficient and have a damn good bilingual typist. I dictate for 20 minutes at a time = 1500 words or so. I also have to revise afterwards but this is very quick. This is a business, for the last 20 years it has made me a good living.

I have often done 20000 words in a day. At top rates.

[Edited at 2015-07-23 21:49 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:57
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Nice idea but... Jul 23, 2015

It's not suitable to the type of work I do and my modus operandi.

I use Studio 2011 for almost all of my work and I am constantly going back through documents mainly to ensure consistency in style and terminology and tweak lots of sentences. Besides, I let out lots of monosyllabic Anglo-Saxon words, if I do utter anything at all, during translation. So, DNS would have to have a pretty strong expletive filter.
<
... See more
It's not suitable to the type of work I do and my modus operandi.

I use Studio 2011 for almost all of my work and I am constantly going back through documents mainly to ensure consistency in style and terminology and tweak lots of sentences. Besides, I let out lots of monosyllabic Anglo-Saxon words, if I do utter anything at all, during translation. So, DNS would have to have a pretty strong expletive filter.

Believe me, I would jump at the chance to make my working life easier - I have a bad right hand and can use only two fingers now when I type. But, DNS wouldn't help for the above reason.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use speech recognition programs to aid in your translation work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »