Poll: Do you request feedback on your services from your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 21, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you request feedback on your services from your clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilak raj. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 21, 2015

For me, feedback is when they call on me again.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 21, 2015

I don’t request feedback, though I always say “Please do not hesitate if you have any questions or comments”. Ultimately, the best feedback you can get from a client is coming back over and over again with repeat orders. I must add that my longest working relationship with a client dates from 1986 and it’s still going strong…

... See more
I don’t request feedback, though I always say “Please do not hesitate if you have any questions or comments”. Ultimately, the best feedback you can get from a client is coming back over and over again with repeat orders. I must add that my longest working relationship with a client dates from 1986 and it’s still going strong…

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/271675-poll_do_you_request_feedback_on_your_services_from_your_clients.html
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 21, 2015

But it's always good to get - even if it's negative it will be helpful.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:08
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, for literary work Jul 21, 2015

In translating a novel, a dialogue between the translator and the author is a necessity, in my opinion. I need feedback from the author on my queries, and vice versa. It is only by working together in this way that the best result can be achieved.
From agencies, no, I don't request it. If I get it, it may or may not be useful, depending on how good their checker is.

[Edited at 2015-07-21 09:15 GMT]

James A. Walsh
James A. Walsh
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 21, 2015

Using the Willingness to Work Again (WWA) option on this site. Seems to work well as I've had many new customers contact me over the years who have explicitly mentioned this. I also give agencies/direct customers feedback of my experience dealing with them using the Likelihood of Working Again (LWA) option.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes to new ones... Jul 21, 2015

Sometimes I ask new clients for feedback on some specific aspect of my translation, since preferences may vary from client to client, but other than that and the courtesy of "Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or remarks", I just deliver the stuff and it will be what it will be.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jul 21, 2015

Some of my clients automatically provide feedback. However, the best feedback for me is... the next project.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
WWA Jul 21, 2015

I think the best indicator is not always the next project.
I had and have several problems with the WWA, but there is no other option.
If the client does not registered on the site, the feedback appears as unidentified.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is "Requesting" necessary? Jul 21, 2015

I don't really think we would have to "request" feedback. You will usually get feedback, won't you?

One thing, as well mentioned by Muriel, is the client/agency sending you new jobs. This is a good enough feedback.

Another thing is not receiving any e-mails from the client/agency requesting corrections, making questions about your choices, or saying that the client complained about something. This is auto-feedback # 2.

The third possibility would be receiv
... See more
I don't really think we would have to "request" feedback. You will usually get feedback, won't you?

One thing, as well mentioned by Muriel, is the client/agency sending you new jobs. This is a good enough feedback.

Another thing is not receiving any e-mails from the client/agency requesting corrections, making questions about your choices, or saying that the client complained about something. This is auto-feedback # 2.

The third possibility would be receiving an explicit feedback, which many people expect sometimes, but it's a bit of a lack of self-confidence to either rely on that or o ask for it. You must be able to read between the lines, and find your feedback in the relationship you maitain with the client/agency. And this is more than enough. You are well able to evaluate your performance and quality, based only in this subjacent feedback. You do not need an explicit feedback message at al.

Now, regarding the WWA, oh yes I do request it form everysingle client. This is an excelent feature of ProZ, good for both sides, and I believe the outsourcers are starting to click on that "references" link. This is surely a type of feedback we must request. Other than this one, I don't think so.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No ... Jul 21, 2015

I rarely receive any explicit feedback, but like others, I take repeat business as a sign that I am on the right track. Most of my clients have never heard of Proz or WWA.

[Edited at 2015-07-21 19:03 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:08
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No, but Jul 22, 2015

With new customers/clients, there will always be a 'settling in' period since you're both not yet used to each other's quirks and whims. I might ask them if they have "areas where we could proceed with day-to-day business on a more efficient basis" or ask for "translation guidelines" if they have any (because they'll detail their or their clients' preferences).
Either way, I try to iron out any familiarization wrinkles at an early stage - more like cutting off any possible trouble at the p
... See more
With new customers/clients, there will always be a 'settling in' period since you're both not yet used to each other's quirks and whims. I might ask them if they have "areas where we could proceed with day-to-day business on a more efficient basis" or ask for "translation guidelines" if they have any (because they'll detail their or their clients' preferences).
Either way, I try to iron out any familiarization wrinkles at an early stage - more like cutting off any possible trouble at the pass.

Either way, if a customer/client has feedback - a euphemism for a grumble or complaint - they will get back to you pretty quickly.

Thankfully, I haven't had any of this in years as far back as I can remember at least. But, then, there is occasionally that cocky little sod of a PM who thinks his English is better than yours by virtue of his having attended a 3-month intensive in Oregon. Grrr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you request feedback on your services from your clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »