Poll: Do you work while traveling?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 19, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work while traveling?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Jul 19, 2015

As I said before (2 very similar quick poll questions posted in September last year and in May 2009), I travel a lot (at least once a month) between Brussels and Lisbon for family reasons and I find it's the most fruitful way to pass the time in airport waiting areas...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 19, 2015

It's my favourite way of passing the time in airports...

Enrica Brancaleoni
Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jul 19, 2015

Actually I spent last spring wandering around South America, with my laptop on my backpack and working while travelling through amazing places

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Jul 19, 2015

rarely, only answering e-mails.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes and No Jul 19, 2015

If I travelling for work reasons, then yes. However, I never time it in as essential, as so much can happen when travelling. The unexepcted can and does happen! If I were to count on being able to work to meet a deadline, for example, I'd be a dead duck. As an extra available time-slot, if all goes smoothly, then it can be a useful way to spend time. As a rule, I prefer to use travel time to be emminently out of reach and unconnected!

(When commuting from the London suburbs to the C
... See more
If I travelling for work reasons, then yes. However, I never time it in as essential, as so much can happen when travelling. The unexepcted can and does happen! If I were to count on being able to work to meet a deadline, for example, I'd be a dead duck. As an extra available time-slot, if all goes smoothly, then it can be a useful way to spend time. As a rule, I prefer to use travel time to be emminently out of reach and unconnected!

(When commuting from the London suburbs to the City years ago, the time spent travelling was an essential accountable part of working time. Those days are well behind me now)!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Far too stressed out during the journey Jul 19, 2015

And when I'm somewhere new I find there are far too many distractions, and better things to do than stick your nose to a computer.

Lucio Nicolás Alcaide
Lucio Nicolás Alcaide  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:40
English to Spanish
Its too risky. Jul 19, 2015

I usually travel by bus, and the seats are too small and uncomfortable to spend 5 hours working. I end up falling sleep. Imagine sleeping while having your laptop on your lap while the bus is bouncing like some sort of amusement park's game!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, No and Other Jul 19, 2015

I used to think that working on a translation while traveling would be a productive use of my time. An old acquaintance, a bank vice president in New York City, once told me that he, too, thought that way. In his frequent flights to London he would carry his laptop (a Dell with DSL ports, that was in 1995!) but that he couldn't work in such cramped space (placing the laptop atop the food tray).

I tried the same thing, with smaller laptops, including an iBook G3. Instead, I used my
... See more
I used to think that working on a translation while traveling would be a productive use of my time. An old acquaintance, a bank vice president in New York City, once told me that he, too, thought that way. In his frequent flights to London he would carry his laptop (a Dell with DSL ports, that was in 1995!) but that he couldn't work in such cramped space (placing the laptop atop the food tray).

I tried the same thing, with smaller laptops, including an iBook G3. Instead, I used my iBook to watch DVDs, years before watching movies on your iPad was cool!

It all depends on your mode of transportation. Take the Amtrak's Acela train, or other train accommodations with WiFi, AC outlets, a desk, etc. So, it all depends.

I bet the author of this poll put it together while traveling.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:10
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Jul 20, 2015

For me, translation requires much higher levels of concentration than what can be garnered in places like airport lounges, trains, planes, buses, etc. Besides, I refer to a lot of reference material while translating, many of which are in paper format, and it is impossible to lug them all along with you when you travel. My work also involves a lot of online work which demands a reliable link to the internet, which are usually not available while travelling. Indian trains and stations still haven... See more
For me, translation requires much higher levels of concentration than what can be garnered in places like airport lounges, trains, planes, buses, etc. Besides, I refer to a lot of reference material while translating, many of which are in paper format, and it is impossible to lug them all along with you when you travel. My work also involves a lot of online work which demands a reliable link to the internet, which are usually not available while travelling. Indian trains and stations still haven't got around to having good wifi or internet connectivity. Some airports do have these, but I have other reasons, too, for not working while travelling as explained below.

I travel very rarely, and like to do one thing at a time - while travelling it is just travelling. For me airports, railway stations, bus stands and their teeming and bustling sea of humanity are an eternal source of wonder and I like to observe the scenes around me with wonder and amusement.

In any case, I spent far too much time before the computer, and when I get an opportunity to move away from the computer, I jump at it with both hands, and firmly drop the computer home while travelling.

[Edited at 2015-07-20 01:55 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
A very reasonable approach: one thing at a time Jul 20, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
…I travel very rarely, and like to do one thing at a time - while travelling it is just travelling. For me airports, railway stations, bus stands and their teeming and bustling sea of humanity are an eternal source of wonder and I like to observe the scenes around me with wonder and amusement.

In any case, I spent far too much time before the computer, and when I get an opportunity to move away from the computer, I jump at it with both hands, and firmly drop the computer home while travelling.

[Edited at 2015-07-20 01:55 GMT]

Bala, that's a very well-argued perspective on traveling and work. Last sentence caused me to chuckle, but I understood what you meant by firmly drop[ping] the computer home while travelling.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
So tricky on a bike Jul 20, 2015

Most of my 'travelling' these days is on my bike, and it is so difficult to work on a computer when cycling. Mind you, I don't even take my antiquated Nokia mobile phone with me when I 'travel' like this. Hopelesslly out of date?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
At the wheel? Jul 20, 2015

Certainly not! I'm usually driving.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work while traveling?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »