Poll: Do you work on your birthday?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 18, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work on your birthday?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cristina Heraud-van Tol. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Jul 18, 2015

If I have work, I would never dream of not working just because it's my birthday...

Billh
Billh
Local time: 23:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
At my age Jul 18, 2015

I prefer to pretend that birthdays don't exist.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 22:28
Japanese to English
I do now Jul 18, 2015

When I had an office job I would always take that day off. Just because.
Now I'm home all day anyway, so taking the day off for no good reason seems rather pointless.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 18, 2015

"Duh"! Same as Bill, basically. At my age one tends to forget what day it is at the best of times. And today it's Saturday and I'm working. Ditto tomorrow, which is Sunday. I've been known to do some work on Xmas day too, although not a lot.

Where I live, Valencia, Spain, weekends are the worst time go to the beach, cinema, or shopping, as that is when most mere mortals have their free time. I prefer to do these things when the places are less crowded. For example, if I manage to p
... See more
"Duh"! Same as Bill, basically. At my age one tends to forget what day it is at the best of times. And today it's Saturday and I'm working. Ditto tomorrow, which is Sunday. I've been known to do some work on Xmas day too, although not a lot.

Where I live, Valencia, Spain, weekends are the worst time go to the beach, cinema, or shopping, as that is when most mere mortals have their free time. I prefer to do these things when the places are less crowded. For example, if I manage to plough through the stack of work I have right now by mid-week, I might manage a trip to the beach on Wednesday or Thursday...
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Distracting birthdays Jul 18, 2015

A smallish IT company who used to be a client gave all employees the day off on their birthdays, a "perk". I rather suspect this was to do with others not being distracted from work by the birthday boy/girl's offer of cake, exchange of presents etc.

Call me a cynic.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My employer gave me the day off on my 50th birthday... Jul 18, 2015

But that was many moons ago, and because it was a 'round' birthday.

This year I was working HARD for the next two weeks. A client had promised about 8000 words, to arrive on Monday, the day before my birthday, for delivery Friday.

Late on Tuesday, my birthday, the job arrived - over 20 000 words! The deadline was extended to ASAP or 10 am on Thursday the following week, whichever was earlier...

I delivered at 3 am on the Thursda,y and now I need to find a
... See more
But that was many moons ago, and because it was a 'round' birthday.

This year I was working HARD for the next two weeks. A client had promised about 8000 words, to arrive on Monday, the day before my birthday, for delivery Friday.

Late on Tuesday, my birthday, the job arrived - over 20 000 words! The deadline was extended to ASAP or 10 am on Thursday the following week, whichever was earlier...

I delivered at 3 am on the Thursda,y and now I need to find a time when at least some of the family can come for a slice of cake and a cosy afternoon. I don't make a big thing of birthdays either, except as an excuse for a get-together with people I don't see too often.
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I do! Jul 18, 2015

I work from Monday to Friday non-stop, and many weekends as well (at least some small assignments). I take very few holidays, mostly together when the children have theirs. But on the day of my birthday I really take the day off. Away from the computer for one whole day, it's fascinating! The next day I have to write about 40 emails thanking people for their greetings, though.

I celebrate my birthday every single year, I'm always so excited about it! Sometimes I invite people over,
... See more
I work from Monday to Friday non-stop, and many weekends as well (at least some small assignments). I take very few holidays, mostly together when the children have theirs. But on the day of my birthday I really take the day off. Away from the computer for one whole day, it's fascinating! The next day I have to write about 40 emails thanking people for their greetings, though.

I celebrate my birthday every single year, I'm always so excited about it! Sometimes I invite people over, other years I go out for dinner or lunch, and other years it's just a simple afternoon tea. I enjoy them and the people around me too. Normally my parents come over, as well as my sister and other family members and friends.

My birthday is on July 21st (but I'm celebrating this Sunday). I'm turning 40, so it's a special one where I've hired a barbecue spot at a club and we will be 30 people enjoying and eating a lot! People always get enthusiastically hungry at barbecues!
Collapse

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 02:28
French to English
+ ...
I normally try not to Jul 18, 2015

Last year my birthday fell on the middle day of a rather well-paid but easy 3-day interpreting assignment (I had to be present, but there wasn't much interpreting that needed to be done and there was a fantastic buffet lunch at midday!) so yes I worked.

This year I organised myself so I didn't have to do any actual paid work, but I checked and answered some work e-mails, had a couple of clients drop by to pick up certified translations (translated the previous day), took a long lunc
... See more
Last year my birthday fell on the middle day of a rather well-paid but easy 3-day interpreting assignment (I had to be present, but there wasn't much interpreting that needed to be done and there was a fantastic buffet lunch at midday!) so yes I worked.

This year I organised myself so I didn't have to do any actual paid work, but I checked and answered some work e-mails, had a couple of clients drop by to pick up certified translations (translated the previous day), took a long lunch with a girlfriend and found that these days replying to birthday wishes which arrive via social media/e-mail/text message is almost a full-time job in itself!
I paid for it with heavy workloads the previous and following days, but I'm glad I did it.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
:D Jul 18, 2015

As a Leap Day "baby" this question arises only once every 4 years. Therefore, I try my very best not to work when I finally do have a real birthday.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:28
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What?? Jul 18, 2015

How old are you? 15?
If you had an in-house job in a company, would this question apply?

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Normally I do, but... Jul 18, 2015

As a summer baby I was never at school on my birthday, but when I eventually entered the world of work I sometimes took the day off, although not every year. Now I work for myself it is just another working day. Except when the birthday is a big one as it is this year. A big thing is generally made of birthdays in Germany, where I live, and this year, in a couple of weeks, in fact, I shall be too busy sorting out a party to do more than check emails. So no, not this year. ... See more
As a summer baby I was never at school on my birthday, but when I eventually entered the world of work I sometimes took the day off, although not every year. Now I work for myself it is just another working day. Except when the birthday is a big one as it is this year. A big thing is generally made of birthdays in Germany, where I live, and this year, in a couple of weeks, in fact, I shall be too busy sorting out a party to do more than check emails. So no, not this year. Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It is just a day Jul 19, 2015

as any other day. I am 47 and my father passed away in 1976 on my birthday, since then I do not feel any necessity to celebrate. I work non-stop and on the weekends as well, I have a many children to take a care of. My bitrthday is not important at all and my customers do not care and honestly, I do not care at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work on your birthday?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »