Poll: Have you ever used a cloud-based TM tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 17, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever used a cloud-based TM tool?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:30
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jul 17, 2015

I had used a couple of them in the past and they were a pain inthe neck, but recently, I used one from a Swedish agency and I must admit, I was impressed and would use it again.
There were a couple of issues, but they could be resolved.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, WordFast Jul 17, 2015

At the risk of sounding ignorant, but this is what you mean, isn't it?

I tried WordFast just once and applied it's TM facility (sorry to speak vaguely here, I'm not an expert on cloud-based resources). I was quite impressed with the result.

However, as a rule, I don't want to use cloud-based TM's for the obvious confidentiality issues.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 17, 2015

I'm wary of all things "cloud-based". The whole concept is just too (ahem) nebulous for my liking. The other day, I tried out Dropbox out of curiosity and wished I hadn't, after wasting about an hour finding out how it worked before finally deactivating the blessed thing.
I wish the perpetrators all these would-be "new, improved" nuisance items would just go away and leave me in peace to get on with my work.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No, and forget it Jul 17, 2015

As per title.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No, and would not want to Jul 17, 2015

Call me a dinosaur, but I don't see the advantages, only the risks.

Some of my clients don't like the idea, and I can reassure them that it won't be a problem with me.

Sometimes people seem to spend so much time trying to make basic things complicated...

Michael Bernhardt
Michael Bernhardt
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I don't like cloud based CAT tools Jul 17, 2015

I've worked in a number of them and most won't even let you build or use your own termbase. But the worst part is when they have built-in automated "QA checks". Then good luck fighting against some stupid AI that won't let you finish the task until you've corrected all your "errors".
Bottom line is that these things slow down my work a lot and I'll probably have to charge higher rates soon for work that has to be done using a cloud based tool.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, but I do not want it again Jul 17, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

Call me a dinosaur, but I don't see the advantages, only the risks.

Some of my clients don't like the idea, and I can reassure them that it won't be a problem with me.

Sometimes people seem to spend so much time trying to make basic things complicated...

Yes, but I don't see the advantages, only the problems it caused.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:30
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few times... "forced" by the client Jul 18, 2015

I used MemoQ, WordBee, Google Translation Manager, and a few other cloud and on-line tools. I'll tell you they are all terrible. Absolutely worse than your own CAT in your own computer, in absolutely every aspect. Yet, it's a trend of some agencies, and we have to adapt ourselves. I will only accept such jobs if I have free space in my agenda, but it's still better than not working at all.

Gordana Sujdovic
Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
I don't like, they slow work down Oct 25, 2015

I've worked in several of them, only difference IMO is that some are worse than others. I rather skip jobs now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever used a cloud-based TM tool?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »