Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many emails do you currently have in your inbox?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 4, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many emails do you currently have in your inbox?".

This poll was originally submitted by Thomas Pfann. View the poll results »

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:14
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
17 Jul 4, 2015

That is, in the inbox of one of my email accounts.

I always try to spend some 50 - 60 minutes per day on answering emails. That is aside from email exchanges with clients during on-going projects. Usually, I manage to empty my email inbox at the close of business... only to find it filled up again in the morning.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:14
English to Polish
0 Jul 4, 2015

My inbox is like my desk: only projects in progress (marked red), and other emails that need to be taken care of are in there. After they are dealt with, they are moved to an appropriate folder. That way I know if I have things to do after one glance.

It's a weekend, so it's currently 0.

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
1,599 Jul 4, 2015

Today I will clean up! I hereby promise myself! I crashed my last computer running Vista, with something like 5,000 mails. Hope not to do it again!!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
less than 50 Jul 4, 2015

Only pending "stuff" in my inbox.
The oldest is from May 2013 (about interesting "stuff" that I should archive somehow, but I'm still thinking where to)

Philippe

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
486! Jul 4, 2015

Usually I clean my inbox every 6 months, but time has been scarce lately...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
5 Jul 4, 2015

I deal with mails as they come in and only leave them in the Inbox if some action is required on my part, or if waiting for a reply. I get rid of what is not important and file what needs to be kept.

Like Anna, my desk is pretty clear (computer, printer, diary, lamp, documents and papers on which I am working but nothing more.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
4,455 messages Jul 4, 2015

Yesterday someone asked me, "Who PAYS for an e-mail service?"

I do. It costs me less then US$ 5 per month, and has been provisionally dimensioned to hold 10 GB. If I get close to that, they'll allocate 10 GB more, and so on. Just checked it, including all other (than InBox) folders, I'm using 2.5 GB.

Superb 'intelligent' antispam, only 1-2 such messages per day manage to get through it.

It's IMAP, not on my computer, but on the cloud, with redundancy beyon
... See more
Yesterday someone asked me, "Who PAYS for an e-mail service?"

I do. It costs me less then US$ 5 per month, and has been provisionally dimensioned to hold 10 GB. If I get close to that, they'll allocate 10 GB more, and so on. Just checked it, including all other (than InBox) folders, I'm using 2.5 GB.

Superb 'intelligent' antispam, only 1-2 such messages per day manage to get through it.

It's IMAP, not on my computer, but on the cloud, with redundancy beyond belief. I can't access it if I'm offline, but I have full access to it via any internet connection. No chance of content leakage from there without my login; they ARE liable for that.

Every time it gets close to 10,000 messages, I do an extensive cleanup.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 4, 2015

In my main work-related email, unanswered, none. I've answered 3 or 4 today.
Answered emails, lots and lots, I don't know how many. I find it useful to be able to check back and see who sent me what and when.

I use free Yahoo webmail. Warts and all, I still prefer it to gmail.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
2,746 Jul 4, 2015

On a typical day I receive an average of about 200 messages, of which maybe 75 get past the filter and 20 are worth looking at (not counting lively discussions on KudoZ, times when there's a lot of back-and-forth with a client, days that I convene a meeting, holidays, and other spikes).

I file all my business-related e-mails immediately; they never accumulate. My friends aren't as lucky.

The backlog is from: (1) stuff I never filed and should have, dating back to 2003
... See more
On a typical day I receive an average of about 200 messages, of which maybe 75 get past the filter and 20 are worth looking at (not counting lively discussions on KudoZ, times when there's a lot of back-and-forth with a client, days that I convene a meeting, holidays, and other spikes).

I file all my business-related e-mails immediately; they never accumulate. My friends aren't as lucky.

The backlog is from: (1) stuff I never filed and should have, dating back to 2003, and (2) messages I've marked for further action, reminders, to-do lists that I've sent to myself, etc.

I have the latest version of MS Outlook, which has an excellent search tool that quickly locates anything I need to consult in my inbox.

OK, so I need to do some cleanup. But as long as nothing crashes, I'm comfortable with the present arrangement.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Vast numbers Jul 4, 2015

But only about a dozen are clearly flagged as important, pending, todo... and I have zero unread and zero spam (I empty my spam box frequently so I'm sure not to miss something important).

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Other Jul 4, 2015

My emails are automatically sorted according to client. As a general rule, only emails from friends or new customers end up in my inbox. Newsletters, job offers from Proz and similar go straight to the trash, but I can still glance at them to see if they are of any interest.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Today is Saturday, zero in my inbox Jul 4, 2015

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

My inbox is like my desk: only projects in progress (marked red), and other emails that need to be taken care of are in there. After they are dealt with, they are moved to an appropriate folder. That way I know if I have things to do after one glance.

It's a weekend, so it's currently 0.

Exactly, if it's in my inbox, then I must address it somehow.
Once it's done, the message goes to other folder.
Inbox = To do list.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Usually <15 - mostly less Jul 4, 2015

I try to deal with e-mails the same day they come in, some obviously get deleted, and only ongoing projects (95% work-related) are kept in my Inbox. When completed they'll be filed in their appropriate folders.

I am really amazed how so many of you guys can live with such long lists! That would stress me out!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Keeping e-mails in your inbox... Jul 4, 2015

is a big sign of disorganization. The only e-mails that should be in your inbox are those with pending tasks.

I receive over 50 e-mails every day. I read them, reply the ones that require replies, do what is required for those that require some action, and throw away all the uselss/ad/spam/etc. messages using "Shift-del" (eliminating the need to check the trash can and waste more time). I drag all non-pending e-mails to the respective folders, which are mere archives for reference.<
... See more
is a big sign of disorganization. The only e-mails that should be in your inbox are those with pending tasks.

I receive over 50 e-mails every day. I read them, reply the ones that require replies, do what is required for those that require some action, and throw away all the uselss/ad/spam/etc. messages using "Shift-del" (eliminating the need to check the trash can and waste more time). I drag all non-pending e-mails to the respective folders, which are mere archives for reference.

So my inbox has 8 e-mails right now. Three jobs I'm working in, five messages that require an action or a reply (these will be moved to the respective folders before the end of the day), and three that require action, but not necessarily today.

If you keep many e-mails in your inbox and waste a lot of time checking that giant list every day, you might as well spend some time in Facebook and Whatsapp, as you are not valuating your time as you should, so just waste it right? And unfortunately, that is the standard use nowadays: Inbox with hundreds of e-mails, hours in Facebook and Wahtsapp, and a lifetime wasted.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many emails do you currently have in your inbox?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »