Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you delete work-related emails?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 25, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you delete work-related emails?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 25, 2015

I occasionally delete some, but it's usually just idly, as an afterthought, rather than some calculated plan or scheme of things.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Basically, no Jun 25, 2015

I only delete emails for projects which didn't materialise or possibly relating to questions on the text or other inconsequential matters.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
German to English
Eventually Jun 25, 2015

But only after a couple of years.

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 14:00
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, Jun 25, 2015

I delete e-mails after receiving full payment.

I might keep something if it's about particular terms/conditions or something else that has not been resolved but would copy it to my folder for that client. If it's just details of a project I don't see the need to clutter my Inbox.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
When I get round to it, once the job is paid for Jun 25, 2015

I delete the small chit-chat mails immediately - 'thanks, files received, have a nice weekend' etc.

They are retrievable from my mail provider for a fortnight, but I never do so!

I delete other mails in batches two or three months after the job is paid for, unless there is some special reason for keeping them.

I never miss them, and all relevant attachments are filed where I can find them.
Mails with special instructions are filed in the folder with t
... See more
I delete the small chit-chat mails immediately - 'thanks, files received, have a nice weekend' etc.

They are retrievable from my mail provider for a fortnight, but I never do so!

I delete other mails in batches two or three months after the job is paid for, unless there is some special reason for keeping them.

I never miss them, and all relevant attachments are filed where I can find them.
Mails with special instructions are filed in the folder with the job, so I delete them from my mail system.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes and no Jun 25, 2015

Well I delete a lot of them without even reading them because no I don't want to work for peanuts

But the rest I keep forever for want of a good reason not to

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Mail overload Jun 25, 2015

For jobs which are done, dusted and paid up, yes.
For jobs which never got of the ground, yes.
For jobs which involved a certain number of complicated moments, thankfully rare, then yes, I will keep them tucked away somewhere safe, but not indefinitely.

Back to edit this in:
It's simply not possible to keep all work-related mail. A lot of the work generated email is simply a series of exchanges which might have taken place on the phone in the past. It's practical
... See more
For jobs which are done, dusted and paid up, yes.
For jobs which never got of the ground, yes.
For jobs which involved a certain number of complicated moments, thankfully rare, then yes, I will keep them tucked away somewhere safe, but not indefinitely.

Back to edit this in:
It's simply not possible to keep all work-related mail. A lot of the work generated email is simply a series of exchanges which might have taken place on the phone in the past. It's practical, it leaves a trace and the person can get the info without being disturbed. That type of email is 99% disposable once the job's done and paid.

When contractual elements are being discussed, then obviously it's kept for the duration of the job, the working relationship and beyond for a number of reasons. However, more often than not, in order to avoid clogging up my mailbox, I extract the important stuff and get rid of the rest. Isn't that supposed to be one of the great beauties of email?

[Edited at 2015-06-25 13:20 GMT]
Collapse

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Jun 25, 2015

Why should we delete work-related emails? The important thing is that don't let
others open your email address and read your important emails.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Most are totally useless months after delivery Jun 25, 2015

I make a point of noting and archiving information I may need later - all client details, VAT numbers, whatever, in my client register.

I collect details of long or complicated jobs in dedicated folders, but otherwise make do with searching the in-tray or sent tray for anything I need.

Once the job is done and invoiced, it is filed under 'completed work' along with any mails I may want to refer to. On the rare occasions when there are payment issues, I can find what I n
... See more
I make a point of noting and archiving information I may need later - all client details, VAT numbers, whatever, in my client register.

I collect details of long or complicated jobs in dedicated folders, but otherwise make do with searching the in-tray or sent tray for anything I need.

Once the job is done and invoiced, it is filed under 'completed work' along with any mails I may want to refer to. On the rare occasions when there are payment issues, I can find what I need to chase them up.

I do search the in-tray for all correspondence on current jobs, but if it is cluttered with thousands of obsolete mails, the search takes much longer.

I delete 20 or 30 mails every day, and several hundred a couple of times a month, when I know the jobs concerned are paid for and there can be no more discussion.

I can't bear the thought of all those mails cluttering up my computer! They are simply unsearchable and unmanageable in the mail system... Whatever does anyone do with them months and years later?
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 25, 2015

I'd like to, but I never get around to it.

I just now checked: On this computer, I have work-related e-mails going back to 2003. If I had time, I'd delete them, and my tech is always nagging me to get rid of the extra stuff in my e-mail folders, but it takes TIME, and I always find something more important to do. So far, nothing has crashed.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, routinely and systematically Jun 25, 2015

I hate clutter of all kinds, emails included... And I'm a genius at archiving the things I need and deleting those I don't... Even if I say so myself...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Christine Jun 25, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

I can't bear the thought of all those mails cluttering up my computer! They are simply unsearchable and unmanageable in the mail system... Whatever does anyone do with them months and years later?

Nothing. But there's no compelling reason to delete them either. I might as well waste time on here instead!

And you a trained librarian...

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes, but.. Jun 25, 2015

Only after 3 or 4 years have gone by.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
On lightening the load Jun 25, 2015

Just to say that I am amazed that anyone would want to keep anything in great quantities for any great amount of time. Now that I am a grown-up, I travel light and I also like to work light. Once essential features have been extracted, what on earth do you do with all those moth-eaten emails? Make virtual airplanes?

[Edited at 2015-06-25 15:35 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you delete work-related emails?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »