Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you proofread your own translation while you work on it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:56
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 24, 2015

Using a CAT tool, your mind is forced to consider each individual segment as a complete entity. In my experience, this means that I am automatically checking each segment as I go along. This also seems logical to me, as each segment is immediately added to the TM and may crop up later in the same text, and it makes better sense if the segment is correct first time round. However, I only get a proper overview of a text once I have saved it as target and can see it in a proper text format, so this... See more
Using a CAT tool, your mind is forced to consider each individual segment as a complete entity. In my experience, this means that I am automatically checking each segment as I go along. This also seems logical to me, as each segment is immediately added to the TM and may crop up later in the same text, and it makes better sense if the segment is correct first time round. However, I only get a proper overview of a text once I have saved it as target and can see it in a proper text format, so this is where the fine-tuning sets in. Is this what you would call 'proofreading'? In my view, it is a lot more, because this is the stage where I implement any necessary changes throughout the text, terminology changes, consistency checks, flow, localisation etc.Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:56
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Proofreading as you translate? Jun 27, 2015

Of course everybody reads what they are translating on the spot, but this cannot be called proofreading or revising whatsoever! You will not notice many things (other than obvious mistakes) while you are translating and concentrated in translation.

Proofreading/revising is a different task, and must be done at a different level of concentration, and necessarily separately. If you think you are proofreading while you translate, so that you don't have to proofread when you're done, y
... See more
Of course everybody reads what they are translating on the spot, but this cannot be called proofreading or revising whatsoever! You will not notice many things (other than obvious mistakes) while you are translating and concentrated in translation.

Proofreading/revising is a different task, and must be done at a different level of concentration, and necessarily separately. If you think you are proofreading while you translate, so that you don't have to proofread when you're done, you are NOT proofreading your work, sorry!

Try it once, and you'll be surprised at how much you improve your translation when you proofread after you're done (not necessarily mistakes, but just improvements in euphony, style, accuracy, etc.).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you proofread your own translation while you work on it?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »