Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Would you retire as a translator if you won the lottery?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 13, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you retire as a translator if you won the lottery?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Jun 13, 2015

As I said the last time this same question was asked: I most definitely would not retire as a translator, I'll keep on working at a slower pace and only for a chosen few...

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/269020-poll_would_you_continue_to_work_as_a_translator_if_you_won_the_lottery.html
<
... See more
As I said the last time this same question was asked: I most definitely would not retire as a translator, I'll keep on working at a slower pace and only for a chosen few...

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/269020-poll_would_you_continue_to_work_as_a_translator_if_you_won_the_lottery.html

[Edited at 2015-06-13 08:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-13 08:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-13 08:26 GMT]
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:15
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes, definitely... Jun 13, 2015

... but not on the spot. It is not easy to stop a business in full swing. Moreover, in my country, you must absolutely keep mum about any money you may have - otherwise, people will poison your animals, set fire to your car and/or house... Stopping immediately would be too visible.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, definitely Jun 13, 2015

Translation is something I DO to make a living, it is not something that I AM.

If I no longer needed to make a living, I would no longer need to work as a translator. I can think of lots of other things that would be much more enjoyable and worthwhile...

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, definitely... Jun 13, 2015

And I'd dedicate my time as a volunteer (not as a translator) helping others.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Probably not, but I would cut down Jun 13, 2015

I like translating, and I like the feeling of doing something useful.
What would I dowith all that time? Probably I would go on translating for some of it, and simply turn down jobs I was not interested in.

It would have to be an enormous lottery prize. Most would not be enough to live on anyway, so I would be more likely to take a holiday somewhere exciting - India, for instance, or see more of the UK and Scandinavia.

I could always work for non-profit organisat
... See more
I like translating, and I like the feeling of doing something useful.
What would I dowith all that time? Probably I would go on translating for some of it, and simply turn down jobs I was not interested in.

It would have to be an enormous lottery prize. Most would not be enough to live on anyway, so I would be more likely to take a holiday somewhere exciting - India, for instance, or see more of the UK and Scandinavia.

I could always work for non-profit organisations, of course.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, probably Jun 13, 2015

But that's only because I'm long past "retirement" age already. I might work occasionally, but I'm getting pretty tired of deadlines. Maybe I'd translate books. Anything with a very generous and flexible deadline.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
definitely Jun 13, 2015

After nearly 40 years I think I deserve it ...
But I never buy a lottery ticket, so no chance.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:45
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
It depends upon the amount of lottery.. so I am not sure! Jun 13, 2015

It depends upon the amount of lottery.. so I am not sure! If amount is appropriate to lead ahead life then definitely otherwise you know!

Gil Michel
Gil Michel  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Without the shadow of a doubt Jun 13, 2015

I love working as a translator, but if money wasn't an issue, there are, I feel, other things that I would do that are a lot more fun and enjoyable, such as travelling and discovering new cultures. Translation is still a job and, as such, it does come with pretty severe drawbacks. It cannot even remotely compete with an opportunity to learn new languages, new customs, new ways of life, to meet new people, learn new types of things... Contrarily to the common saying, the world is huge, there is s... See more
I love working as a translator, but if money wasn't an issue, there are, I feel, other things that I would do that are a lot more fun and enjoyable, such as travelling and discovering new cultures. Translation is still a job and, as such, it does come with pretty severe drawbacks. It cannot even remotely compete with an opportunity to learn new languages, new customs, new ways of life, to meet new people, learn new types of things... Contrarily to the common saying, the world is huge, there is so much to see and discover; freelance translating is cool, but I believe it only offers us a very tiny portion of the exploration languages can offer.

Then again, in order to win the lottery, one has to play. So that's a bit of an issue...
Collapse

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
I couldn't agree more Jun 13, 2015

with what Gil has just said -including the last sentence! : )

Gil Michel wrote:

I love working as a translator, but if money wasn't an issue, there are, I feel, other things that I would do that are a lot more fun and enjoyable, such as travelling and discovering new cultures. Translation is still a job and, as such, it does come with pretty severe drawbacks. It cannot even remotely compete with an opportunity to learn new languages, new customs, new ways of life, to meet new people, learn new types of things... Contrarily to the common saying, the world is huge, there is so much to see and discover; freelance translating is cool, but I believe it only offers us a very tiny portion of the exploration languages can offer.

Then again, in order to win the lottery, one has to play. So that's a bit of an issue...

[Edited at 2015-06-13 14:28 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
The lottery Jun 13, 2015

Billy: Oh Lord, let me win the lottery, just once, please, Lord.
God: Meet me half way, Billy. Billy, buy a ticket.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Only part-time Jun 13, 2015

If I won the lottery (hard to do when not playing), I would continue working as a translator for some special clients, selecting certain projects. The "other half" of my time would be spend on promoting my career as an author and poet. But... signs say that no ticket. no winning.

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
I won the Spanish gordo lottery Jun 13, 2015

last Xmas. Three ticket, three winners.......

I am still translating though.

But the total winnings (420 euros) stocked up the booze cabinet nicely.....

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:15
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Immediately!! Jun 13, 2015

Even if I were in the middle of a project!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you retire as a translator if you won the lottery?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »