Poll: Have you translated any books that have been published?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 12, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you translated any books that have been published?".

This poll was originally submitted by Dr. Tilmann Kleinau. View the poll results »

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:10
French to English
Yes, three Jun 12, 2015

One on the economic trends and one encyclopaedia of sailing. Edited to add in another book on the history of a yacht race.

[Edited at 2015-06-12 21:19 GMT]

Billh
Billh
Local time: 14:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
yes Jun 12, 2015

One on theoretical economics and a commented translation of the 1995 new Spanish Corporate Income Tax Legislation (Klewer) which became outdated within a couple of years.

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jun 12, 2015

All 15 of them!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, four so far Jun 12, 2015

All novels, two science fiction, one political thriller and one humorous. Currently working on one more s-f and close to concluding a contract for another one (historical). All these except the first have been published as e-books.
I prefer literary work to the technical and commercial which were my main fields for many years. It's a field difficult to break into, but since I did the first two and put excerpts from them in my profile, I have had more inquiries.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:10
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
One credited, many uncredited Jun 12, 2015

My credited translation was an 800-page ms. on Mexico's oil industry, published by the University of Texas Press.
http://utpress.utexas.edu/index.php/books/meyer-mexico-and-united-states-in-the-oil-controversy-1917-1942

I also co-translated a book for Conservation International on the Atlantic Forest, the preface
... See more
My credited translation was an 800-page ms. on Mexico's oil industry, published by the University of Texas Press.
http://utpress.utexas.edu/index.php/books/meyer-mexico-and-united-states-in-the-oil-controversy-1917-1942

I also co-translated a book for Conservation International on the Atlantic Forest, the preface of which credits the two translators, published by Island Press.
https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Atlantic_Forest_of_South_America.html?id=FkPy-K4iroAC

In addition, I've translated maybe 20 books published by the World Health Organization and/or the Pan American Health Organization, where I was employed for many years, and prior to that, the Organization of American States.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 12, 2015

Only two so far. The first one was several years ago and was a sort of copy table book about the work of a landscape artist. I seem to remember I got a copy of the published book for my mother and cousin, who I had recruited to help on it as they are both of an artistic bent.
The other one was about animal welfare, three of four years ago. The author sent me a copy when it was published in Spanish, but there is no sign of the translated version yet. They may only have requested the transla
... See more
Only two so far. The first one was several years ago and was a sort of copy table book about the work of a landscape artist. I seem to remember I got a copy of the published book for my mother and cousin, who I had recruited to help on it as they are both of an artistic bent.
The other one was about animal welfare, three of four years ago. The author sent me a copy when it was published in Spanish, but there is no sign of the translated version yet. They may only have requested the translation for reference purposes, but I'd be delighted to see the English version if it ever comes out.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Six Jun 12, 2015

Five credited, one (probably) uncredited; five traditionally published (on paper), one available online (though not as an e-book).

if I ever retire, I'm going to tackle the classics of Russian literature, as a sort of brain teaser, just for myself.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Two credited plus others Jun 12, 2015

One on neck surgery, one on economics.
Both were done in collaboration with the author, but I did get the credit.
Then a series of children's books on handicrafts, but they came through an agency.
Also several tourist books for one of my best customers, now deceased and the daughters closed down his publishing business, alas ....

Petra Van Caneghem
Petra Van Caneghem
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes! Jun 12, 2015

I am mainly a travel guide translator, so that number is over 40 I think (but does that really count as books?)

I also translate a lot of non-fiction (about 12 now, working on the 13th).
They are biographies, one on jihad in Belgium a few months ago and now one on a concentration camp in Belgium

as Jack said, difficult market to break into, but once you have, it is very rewarding (not price-wise though)
It gives me much more fulfillment than a marketing or m
... See more
I am mainly a travel guide translator, so that number is over 40 I think (but does that really count as books?)

I also translate a lot of non-fiction (about 12 now, working on the 13th).
They are biographies, one on jihad in Belgium a few months ago and now one on a concentration camp in Belgium

as Jack said, difficult market to break into, but once you have, it is very rewarding (not price-wise though)
It gives me much more fulfillment than a marketing or medical doc (which I also do)
Collapse

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes, some Jun 12, 2015

Mainly I translated books on culture for a small agency in my country. It happened years ago, though.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:40
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
No Jun 12, 2015

No I have not translated any book for any company/organization. Actually I believe in small works due to regular client's workload. I prefer to take booklet instead of books for translation.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Jun 13, 2015

Yes, as listed in my CV. One about the life and works of Rembrandt, others about birds of the world, women's health, cookery, La Belle Epoque, herbal medicine in Cuba, famous natural disasters and the development of towns and cities. I love translating books. You become totally absorbed in the subject and learn so much.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jun 13, 2015

I co-translated with a medical doctor a big handbook on obstetrics and gynecology and translated several smaller books on education.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you translated any books that have been published?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »