Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a logo for your business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 8, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a logo for your business?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 8, 2015

But only to make the letterhead more interesting.

Did it myself 20 years ago. Wanted something Scandinavian. Could have gone with something to do with the Vikings but took the easy option of a snowflake. I know it doesn't snow that much in Denmark but hey ho.

All our business comes through word of mouth anyway, so branding and visual identity and all that nonsense are an irrelevance.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 8, 2015

I have a few that a friend designed for me, but don't always use them. I also sometimes use my own spontaneous ones, taken from random stock images I find online. For example, I sometimes use images of the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland on the headings of my notes to the rabbit science journal, or fruit related images for my client in the fruit and veg business.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
On my invoices Jun 8, 2015

I use a kind of Celtic logo on my invoices because I wanted to make them distinctive and to present something vaguely Cornish, but it isn't exactly the logo of my business.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thinking of changing it... Jun 8, 2015

...and worried about the transition period.

If I change abruptly from one to another, will I be recognised? But how can I have them cohabit?

An expensive business too, because there is printed stuff, the website and signage all to be changed.

Klára Kalamár
Klára Kalamár  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:24
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes and No Jun 8, 2015

Actually my husband has a logo for his business – the "G" letter of the Sekler runic alphabet, which I borrowed. But I seldom use it, in fact only on my website.
:-)

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just a bit of fun Jun 8, 2015

Chris S wrote:
But only to make the letterhead more interesting... All our business comes through word of mouth anyway, so branding and visual identity and all that nonsense are an irrelevance.

I agree, but I still like to have a laugh with this sort of thing; it can be a sign of complicity with the client, a kind of shared joke if you like.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 8, 2015

The one that I use here on Proz also appears on my email signature, letterhead, business cards, labels, pamphlet and website. Basically, I use it everywhere I can think of...

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:24
French to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 8, 2015

But if my partner wasn't such a photoshop buff, I would have had to draw it myself, which would have been embarrassing!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes. Jun 8, 2015

www.yam.com.mx

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Jun 8, 2015

I had one very briefly, but it did not work well reduced to thumbnail size, and I have never replaced it.

A good logo can give information at a glance that a name alone or portrait doesn't, but I seem to get along fine without!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our business Jun 8, 2015

Chris S wrote:

But only to make the letterhead more interesting.

Did it myself 20 years ago. Wanted something Scandinavian. Could have gone with something to do with the Vikings but took the easy option of a snowflake. I know it doesn't snow that much in Denmark but hey ho.

All our business comes through word of mouth anyway, so branding and visual identity and all that nonsense are an irrelevance.

Chris, I am assuming that you are speaking of your own business or company (All our business…), correct?

Having a business is one thing; having a logo is another, and it's optional. The whole “branding and visual identity” is a misnomer. It actually points to an individual's professional reputation and good name, insofar as the business is a solo operation. In that respect, it's nothing irrelevant.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Logos…and logos Jun 8, 2015

First, the poll question takes it for granted and understood that we are talking about solo proprietors, businesses or concerns with just one person, or maybe two.

Second, a logo shows that the business owner wants to be identified with a visual, not just his or her own name (like “Sarah Jones Translation Services”).

Third, let's leave aside the typically American obsession with branding and all that marketing blather. I take the poll question to mean whether we h
... See more
First, the poll question takes it for granted and understood that we are talking about solo proprietors, businesses or concerns with just one person, or maybe two.

Second, a logo shows that the business owner wants to be identified with a visual, not just his or her own name (like “Sarah Jones Translation Services”).

Third, let's leave aside the typically American obsession with branding and all that marketing blather. I take the poll question to mean whether we have a logotype or not. It's that simple.

Having had some experience in the area, here's what I've learned:

1) The logotype must be unique to be useful.
2) The logotype must be the result of careful research and proper graphic design.
3) The logotype must be just one, not two or three images, so that it may convey unity and coherence in form, color, shape.
4) The logotype should have a conspicuous yet simple design so that it can be reproduced at smaller sizes (business cards) and on different platforms (webpages, blogs, etc.) without loss.
5) The logotype must be one and the same in every piece of marketing or advertising: business cards, website, brochures, letterhead, etc.
6) Finally, it's better to have no logo than to have (and show) a poorly made or amateurish one, or several images attempting to capture the reader's attention.

This discussion also reminds me of business names. In my years as a translator, I've encountered some ingenious and colorful translation business names, and I silently congratulate the owners for their wit. At the same time, I've seen generic names or names that are too smart or intellectual for their own good that, in my opinion, ruin the effect and defeat the purpose.

I know someone whose business name sounds like an old Spanish greeting. So, in answering the phone, the name kind of disappears and is not recognized.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I ... Jun 8, 2015

answered no but actually, like Jenny, I have something similar, a celtic symbol, on my invoices.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No Jun 9, 2015

No, I don't have a logo. I don't have a business, either; I have a practice.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a logo for your business?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »