Poll: Do you enjoy your job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 6, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you enjoy your job?".

This poll was originally submitted by Claudia Iglesias. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, definitely Jun 6, 2015

No change since the last time this question was asked...

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/261964-poll_do_you_enjoy_your_work_as_a_translator_interpreter.html

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, to a certain extent Jun 6, 2015

I've experienced other working situations and they've all been worse in some aspect than translation on the whole. Obnoxious bosses, early starts, commuting, working outdoors in a Scottish winter...

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Hebrew to English
Amen Jun 6, 2015

neilmac wrote:
Obnoxious bosses

...this is what ultimately led me into translation (well, I'd always wanted to do it, but was given a nice push by a string of [insert negative adjective] bosses.

I think a lot of people nowadays labour under the illusion that management = bullying.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, definitely Jun 6, 2015

Being a FREElancer is the best job one can have. No bosses, no commuting, no stress at the office = I've been there and I sure won't go back there.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Jun 6, 2015

I love it!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
It's not a job Jun 6, 2015

That's what I like about it, it's not a job. I'm the boss, and I do what I love, which is to translate, and I do it on my own terms.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:28
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes definitely Jun 6, 2015

For many of the reasons mentioned. No commuting in the winter, for one thing, flexible hours, not having to get dressed up for work etc. And most of the people I deal with are great to work for.
I was a journalist for years and I am doing better and get more work as a freelancer...plus, I don't have to come up with ideas!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:28
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jun 6, 2015

Translation has been a great opportunity to teach and learn new concepts, to make friends around the world and to visit beautiful places.

As InDesign opens the mind by defining a white spaces into fonts, forms, vectors and graphics to be expressed via a mouse, translation keeps my brain working every moment. Internally, I use to translate songs, people's expressions, signs, comments, national anthems, marketing slogans into the languages I speak.

If you have childr
... See more
Translation has been a great opportunity to teach and learn new concepts, to make friends around the world and to visit beautiful places.

As InDesign opens the mind by defining a white spaces into fonts, forms, vectors and graphics to be expressed via a mouse, translation keeps my brain working every moment. Internally, I use to translate songs, people's expressions, signs, comments, national anthems, marketing slogans into the languages I speak.

If you have children around, like daughters or nephews, it's a wonderful chance to create a special link to them. That's better than a lonely kid in front of TV watching Barney.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely Jun 7, 2015

But after being at it for a very long time, I'm beginning to yearn for more space in my life (with the same income, of course).

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends Jun 9, 2015

I enjoy the job per se, but not the current state of translation, where 'the industry' is owned by IT companies that develop or sell machine translation, in whose best interest therefore is to depreciate and pauperize human translators, or CAT manufacturers whose sales are driven (perhaps against their own wishes but still) by the enablement of fuzzy discounts (along with poor-quality TMs That Must Not Be Deviated From), and a plethora of opportunistic or outright parasitic intermediaries.
... See more
I enjoy the job per se, but not the current state of translation, where 'the industry' is owned by IT companies that develop or sell machine translation, in whose best interest therefore is to depreciate and pauperize human translators, or CAT manufacturers whose sales are driven (perhaps against their own wishes but still) by the enablement of fuzzy discounts (along with poor-quality TMs That Must Not Be Deviated From), and a plethora of opportunistic or outright parasitic intermediaries.

I certainly don't enjoy many clients' attitude of preferring financial savings to quality.

... Or the poor manners more and more often exhibited by translation agencies that are feeling more and more secure in their position.

... Or the ignorance of so many underqualified proofreaders, editors and reviewers, even in translation agencies of some renown.

... Or the general lack of skill in our profession — there are so many translators who are poor writers and not really proficient in the foreign languages they translate from (or even into). This shows a lot in 'professional' KudoZ inquiries, where the conclusion often is that the asker shouldn't even be translating that text to begin with, and that many answerers, including popular ones, don't quite know what they're talking about. This alone is enough to push me on the verge of depression on some days.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you enjoy your job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »