Poll: Do your clients ever have to remind you to send your invoice after you deliver a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 5, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do your clients ever have to remind you to send your invoice after you deliver a project?".

This poll was originally submitted by Yetta J Bogarde. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:53
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Never happened! Jun 5, 2015

I LOVE doing the invoices: it means that the work is done and dusted and the money is coming my way (sooner rather than later)…

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
French to English
Invoice sent with completed job Jun 5, 2015

We work hard for our money, clients often pay late (in France) and so we are hardly about to start needing to be chased to invoice! As a rule, the invoice is sent with the job. If modifications are expected to follow at some later stage, then I would only trust a client I know well, with a good payment history to say that we will allow a certain period of time before sending the invoice. It would be a matter of days and well established that if nothing heard by whatever date, then I can consider... See more
We work hard for our money, clients often pay late (in France) and so we are hardly about to start needing to be chased to invoice! As a rule, the invoice is sent with the job. If modifications are expected to follow at some later stage, then I would only trust a client I know well, with a good payment history to say that we will allow a certain period of time before sending the invoice. It would be a matter of days and well established that if nothing heard by whatever date, then I can consider the job complete and send the invoice. Even in those circumstances, if the job is substantial, I'd request and obtain part payment. This will have been established at the outset.

[Edited at 2015-06-05 09:45 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Jun 5, 2015

I'm the first to admit that administration is not my strong point. In fact, I'm rubbish at it.

Yesterday my agent (gestor) who helps me with my tax returns informed me that there is a discrepancy of 3000 or 4000 euros between the invoices I issued in 2014 and the income declared by my clients to the tax office. In other words, apparently I was paid more than I billed for? I have no idea how this can have happened, and I'm dreading having to try to work it out, as numbers are definit
... See more
I'm the first to admit that administration is not my strong point. In fact, I'm rubbish at it.

Yesterday my agent (gestor) who helps me with my tax returns informed me that there is a discrepancy of 3000 or 4000 euros between the invoices I issued in 2014 and the income declared by my clients to the tax office. In other words, apparently I was paid more than I billed for? I have no idea how this can have happened, and I'm dreading having to try to work it out, as numbers are definitely not my thing. For now, it's on my to-do list, but I have several other translations and text revisions to get out of the way before I can even think about that...
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Never! Jun 5, 2015

Like Nikki and Teresa, I don't need to be reminded to send an invoice. I normally send the invoice with the work or - reluctantly - at the end of the month if the client insists. I love issuing invoices and find it hard to understand how much some translators apparently dislike it. That's why we're working, isn't it? (At least mainly).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Horses for courses Jun 5, 2015

Jenny Forbes wrote:
I love issuing invoices and find it hard to understand how much some translators apparently dislike it. That's why we're working, isn't it? (At least mainly).

In general, I simply don't like doing things that I'm not good at - like admin!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Jun 5, 2015

Definitely a question for the kind of people who leave money dangling out of the cash machine...

My customers do sometimes *hassle* me for an invoice at the end of the month, if that counts.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Sorry? Client asking me? Jun 5, 2015

None of my clients has over the years (more than 20 years) ever asked me to send them my invoice. They are of course pleased when I deliver the translation on time, but *they** asking **me** for my invoice is not a part of their business.

We as service providers needs to be well-organized and keep track of our jobs, invoices and outstanding payment. The invested time pays off.

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:53
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Yes Jun 5, 2015

A couple of clients have asked me to send an invoice after every single tiny job, which would mean a lot more administrative work than is necessary. I prefer to send an invoice once a month to save time, and they usually understand the point. But I do wonder why they prefer to receive several invoices instead of one?

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Exactly the same Jun 5, 2015

Elina Sellgren wrote:

A couple of clients have asked me to send an invoice after every single tiny job, which would mean a lot more administrative work than is necessary. I prefer to send an invoice once a month to save time, and they usually understand the point. But I do wonder why they prefer to receive several invoices instead of one?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, Jun 5, 2015

I keep good track and have a system of issuing invoices once a week, which I find quite enjoyable.

For me it would be much more administration to keep several jobs and wait for invoicing until the end of the month.
Besides the admin there is also the cash flow to be considered.

Very small amounts are not a problem, as I have a min. charge.

[Edited at 2015-06-05 17:46 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jun 5, 2015

Some of my clients receive the invoice along with the completed translation. Most of my clients, however, receive either a monthly or a bi-monthly invoice. This way I cannot forget to send it.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:53
German to English
+ ...
various systems - but generally no Jun 5, 2015

All my clients get an invoice as soon as the translation is delivered. One of them wants to pay at the end of the month, so I also keep a "cumulative" invoice of all the the work. They usually do ask for it, but it's not a reminder - they only started this system a while back.

I also work for an agency overseas which swallows the transfer charges at their end. Since they are a good customer we have an understanding that they pay every few months to keep the banking charges down.
... See more
All my clients get an invoice as soon as the translation is delivered. One of them wants to pay at the end of the month, so I also keep a "cumulative" invoice of all the the work. They usually do ask for it, but it's not a reminder - they only started this system a while back.

I also work for an agency overseas which swallows the transfer charges at their end. Since they are a good customer we have an understanding that they pay every few months to keep the banking charges down. Again I invoice for every job, but send the "cumulative" either when they request it, or when I figure that it's about time that a payment is made.

There is another client which orders a lot of certified translations. They don't want the invoice until the translation actually goes out (hard copy) - no invoice after delivery of the electronic version. Sometimes they have a last minute extra request, such as extra copies, which will change the amount on the invoice. I find this one a bit harder, because it's outside my routine. I then have to alter the amount on the invoice I have already written, and make a note in my books as well.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jun 6, 2015

I want to be sure the client is happy before I send my bill. Lately I've been doing some English-English editing work, and the clients tend to keep coming back with changes and corrections. I much prefer translation; most clients wouldn't dare redo the original text once the translation is in progress.

Also, two of my clients prepare the invoices and they have to let me know when they're ready to be signed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do your clients ever have to remind you to send your invoice after you deliver a project?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »