Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you prefer short term or long term projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 4, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you prefer short term or long term projects?".

This poll was originally submitted by José Ignacio Coelho Mendes Neto. View the poll results »

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:56
German to English
A mixture Jun 4, 2015

For me the ideal is a mixture of the two - a long-term project to ensure one is never idle, with a sprinkling of short-term ones mixed in for variety.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 4, 2015

No preference whatsoever, but what I really, really, like is having a long term project with a comfortable deadline and in parallel handling a good bunch of shortish projects …

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:56
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Long + some shorter Jun 4, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

No preference whatsoever, but what I really, really, like is having a long term project with a comfortable deadline and in parallel handling a good bunch of shortish projects …

Totally agree.
I do tend to find longer projects more financially profitable. Sometimes these long projects come in shortish sections with gaps in between.

[Edited at 2015-06-04 09:06 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Short term, every time! Jun 4, 2015

I practically always have a stream of short-term jobs coming in. My average word count is probably below 1000, but it varies enormously. Anything over 5000 - 10 000 words leaves me turning down attractive jobs from regular clients unless the deadline is very long.

Then if it is, I run out of steam and get tired of the long-term project. It seems hard to maintain consistency and find time for proofreading...

Many of my short-term jobs are in fact snippets or chapters of
... See more
I practically always have a stream of short-term jobs coming in. My average word count is probably below 1000, but it varies enormously. Anything over 5000 - 10 000 words leaves me turning down attractive jobs from regular clients unless the deadline is very long.

Then if it is, I run out of steam and get tired of the long-term project. It seems hard to maintain consistency and find time for proofreading...

Many of my short-term jobs are in fact snippets or chapters of longer-term projects, and for some reason I have no trouble with consistency there! So I divide the bigger ones up and try to pretend they are similar, set my own deadlines for each section, and tricks like that. It doesn't always work! I usually end up in a mad rush anyway.

I have 30% of a book and a final proofreading to be delivered at the end of the month, and I'm not in serious trouble yet... but the pattern is definitely there!
Collapse

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Other Jun 4, 2015

Medium term.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Large job + long deadline with little ones sandwiched in Jun 4, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

One problem with really long projects is that the subject matter can get a little stale. I'm in the middle of one right now. I have translated about 175 pages on vaccination and deworming and I'm only half through. There are about 200 pages more in the pipeline and I find my mind wandering a lot and getting easily distracted.

On the bright side, the money is good and I've started dreaming about remodeling my kitchen.

[Edited at 2015-06-04 09:22 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Depends what sort of work Jun 4, 2015

I prefer literary work if I can get it, and in that field I prefer a book rather than short jobs.
But in the technical and business fields, I prefer short ones.

@ Muriel: I am doing well from books, and my kitchen is being remodelled as I am writing this to sounds of hammering, drilling and sawing.

[Edited at 2015-06-04 09:30 GMT]

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Short-term Jun 4, 2015

I often reject long-term projects (over 1 week of full time work) since they deprive me of flexibility making me unavailable for all other clients for a long time,

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
Long projects Jun 4, 2015

get so boring I tend to lose interest, meaning anythinq which takes over about a week to do.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A healthy mix of all sizes of projects Jun 4, 2015

That's the best way for high productivity, however it requires good time management skills, to avoid missing deadlines.

I'm pretty at ease with such a mix, since I used to teach time management as a consultant, and haven't missed a translation deadline yet, since 1973.

However I reckon that solid planning and considerable assertiveness are required to prevent making my schedule "doomed in advance".

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Good idea Jun 4, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

Many of my short-term jobs are in fact snippets or chapters of longer-term projects, and for some reason I have no trouble with consistency there! So I divide the bigger ones up and try to pretend they are similar, set my own deadlines for each section, and tricks like that. It doesn't always work! I usually end up in a mad rush anyway.
I see many of us face the same issue (at least I just discussed it this morning with a fellow translator!) Thank you for the tip, Christine. Although it doesn't work all the time, it is worth giving it a try.
I'll be glad to read any other tips fellow translators may have!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Short term Jun 4, 2015

I find one-week projects (10-15k) most appealing, because they give me enough time to get immersed in and deepen a subject, while being short enough to avoid boredom. And you get most of your monthly bills and taxes covered in one job.

"Long-term" projects (I'd say >40k) usually leave enough slack to squeeze in my typical small jobs (500-1500).

My average project size is currently about 1000-1500 words and I handle about 400 deadlines a year, but I'd like less projects
... See more
I find one-week projects (10-15k) most appealing, because they give me enough time to get immersed in and deepen a subject, while being short enough to avoid boredom. And you get most of your monthly bills and taxes covered in one job.

"Long-term" projects (I'd say >40k) usually leave enough slack to squeeze in my typical small jobs (500-1500).

My average project size is currently about 1000-1500 words and I handle about 400 deadlines a year, but I'd like less projects and more words for each one!

Philippe
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
100% the same as Christine Jun 4, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

'Short-term projects for long-term clients' wins hands down every time!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
The longer, the better Jun 4, 2015

For I can not only schedule my agenda and plans, but also feel more secure.
Of course, I usually accept short/urgent projects too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer short term or long term projects?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »