Poll: Do you display your rates publicly in your profile?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 1, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you display your rates publicly in your profile?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariam Osmann. View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Of course Jun 1, 2015

There's not much point in hiding them, they'll find out sooner or later...

And it helps weed out the bottom-feeders

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 1, 2015

I had to check, but what I've posted on my proz profile is "Fees vary according to text complexity and formats."
I suppose should have mentioned deadlines too, as I'm more likely to look favourably on projects with reasonable deadlines.

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2015

Saves everyone time. However: it is my standard rate and isn't set in stone.

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
No Jun 1, 2015

I don't, because I don't have standard rates, which in turn is due to the massive gap between my two main target markets, i.e. Switzerland and Italy. My average rates for Swiss customers would be inconceivably high for prospective Italian customers, while my average rate for Italian customers would make me look like a newbie (or worse) to prospective Swiss customers.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Jun 1, 2015

I have different rates for different clients and types of jobs.
It would be too complicated to show on my profile.

For new clients I quote a rate depending on who and where they are, and especially what kind of job they are proposing and whether I have time or want to scare them off! Private individuals with a one-off job are often interesting, and I have to remember that they have to pay 25% VAT, so it will be expensive for them. Business is business with agencies, and has t
... See more
I have different rates for different clients and types of jobs.
It would be too complicated to show on my profile.

For new clients I quote a rate depending on who and where they are, and especially what kind of job they are proposing and whether I have time or want to scare them off! Private individuals with a one-off job are often interesting, and I have to remember that they have to pay 25% VAT, so it will be expensive for them. Business is business with agencies, and has to be run at a viable level.

I have learnt, however, that if I mean no, because I don't want the job or can't do it, then I have to say no straight out, especially if the deadline is too tight to search long for another translator.

If I have quoted high, then at least it educates the client about what to expect. I can afford to negotiate and round down slightly if necessary.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, but why not? Jun 1, 2015

I suppose you mean on this Proz.com profile?
I had to check and found that my rates were not displayed, but there is a link to my website, where my rates are public.

When I first joined Proz.com I just did like the majority and concealed my rates, but actually, there is no reason to do that.

I don't believe all this secrecy - also among colleagues - serves our purposes, on the contrary.

Some translators say we should do it to avoid being accused of f
... See more
I suppose you mean on this Proz.com profile?
I had to check and found that my rates were not displayed, but there is a link to my website, where my rates are public.

When I first joined Proz.com I just did like the majority and concealed my rates, but actually, there is no reason to do that.

I don't believe all this secrecy - also among colleagues - serves our purposes, on the contrary.

Some translators say we should do it to avoid being accused of forming cartels, but I totally disagree with that.

It's just like going to the store to buy something, the price is there for everyone to see - at least in my country.

Also, I find too much negotiating is a waste of time and I don't differentiate much between urgency, type of client, subject matter or any other matters...

[Edited at 2015-06-01 12:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-01 12:29 GMT]
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
No, just because they vary Jun 1, 2015

I prefer to be open about rates. It helps give everyone a more realistic picture of the market.

But my rates really do vary from project to project; that's the only hard-and-fast rule, so it's the only one I post.

Even my minimum rates vary. I don't, for example, have a minimum rate for clients I work with on a regular basis.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 05:04
Japanese to English
No, but I will Jun 1, 2015

I don't, but they're on my website for all to see, so I might as well make them public from now on. The client will find out eventually, as others have said.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Hear, hear! Jun 1, 2015

[quote]interpretwhisky wrote:

I prefer to be open about rates. It helps give everyone a more realistic picture of the market.

FINAL NOTE:
I forgot to mention that I sometimes tell potentiel clients, when they try to get a better rate, that we also have to 'localize' prices.
And I happen to live in a country with very high income tax and living expenses.

[Edited at 2015-06-02 06:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-02 06:51 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have set some rates to be visible to outsourcers on my profile Jun 1, 2015

As a compromise, I have set mine to be visible to outsourcers.

I am not sure exactly how it works, but it does seem to weed out some of the 'best rate' enquiries. I don't get too many of those.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thought it would weed out bottom-feeders Jun 1, 2015

Chris S wrote:

There's not much point in hiding them, they'll find out sooner or later...

And it helps weed out the bottom-feeders
'

But it doesn't always work, bottom-feeders aren't very proficient readers...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2015

Not that it stops outsourcers from trying to talk me down!

If I decide to give someone a break, at least they will appreciate it.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nope, not any more Jun 9, 2015

I don't want to make my Polish clients think I'll charge them the rates I use with e.g. UK or US clients, which are twice larger (but the difference in national average salaries between the US/UK and Poland is 400%), and I don't want prospects from Western Europe, North America, UAE, Taiwan etc. to think they can pay 'Polish rates'.

This is not properly a secret, but I don't want to spend time explaining or defending it.

I don't necessarily want direct clients to know h
... See more
I don't want to make my Polish clients think I'll charge them the rates I use with e.g. UK or US clients, which are twice larger (but the difference in national average salaries between the US/UK and Poland is 400%), and I don't want prospects from Western Europe, North America, UAE, Taiwan etc. to think they can pay 'Polish rates'.

This is not properly a secret, but I don't want to spend time explaining or defending it.

I don't necessarily want direct clients to know how much agencies pay and vice versa, either.

What else? I don't want to end up debarred from claiming higher offered budgets than the rates I usually charge, and I sometimes don't want people to know how much lower their fixed budgets are than my regular rates.

[Edited at 2015-06-09 01:51 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you display your rates publicly in your profile?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »