Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In what language was the last book you read for pleasure/leisure written?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 30, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In what language was the last book you read for pleasure/leisure written?".

This poll was originally submitted by DianeGM. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 30, 2015

Lately, I have been reading (I read in bed before going to sleep) a small book by an aspiring, young Portuguese writer. Before that, I read “The Sorrows of An American” by Siri Hustvedt and finished reading (started years ago) “The Secret History” by Donna Tart. I also read in French but nothing seems to grab my attention these days…

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:36
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Another language May 30, 2015

I was very interested in this particular new German book (medical, but written for the general public), and although it has been translated to both my source and target language (English/Danish) I have chosen to read it in the original language, German - for the obvious reason of getting it straight from the horse's mouth and also to keep up my German.

At first it went a little slow, but now I am fine and just love it!

[Edited at 2015-05-30 08:52 GMT]

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Goldfinch fever? May 30, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

Lately, I have been reading (I read in bed before going to sleep) a small book by an aspiring, young Portuguese writer. Before that, I read “The Sorrows of An American” by Siri Hustvedt and finished reading (started years ago) “The Secret History” by Donna Tart. I also read in French but nothing seems to grab my attention these days…

Did you read the Goldfinch recently by an chance? People keep telling me it's brilliant. I have the Secret History already - worth starting with that or should I just move on to the Goldfinch?

In response to the question, I'm always reading at least 10 books in both my source and target languages (still trying to work through Piketty and a book on the Communist Manifesto and just started Sebastian Faulks A Week in December as a less severe alternative). Haven't read a book in a fourth language for awhile. Still not entirely convinced I really understand them when I do.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not yet May 30, 2015

interpretwhisky wrote:

Did you read the Goldfinch recently by an chance? People keep telling me it's brilliant. I have the Secret History already - worth starting with that or should I just move on to the Goldfinch?

I haven't bought "The Goldfinch" yet, but as my birthday is approaching I'm wishing one of my daughters will think about that. I liked the Secret History, though her constant erudite cultural references got occasionally on my nerves...

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
A translation into my source language... May 30, 2015

(French) from Spanish, a gift from a French friend and because it hasn't been (and almost certainly won't be) translated into English.

And I recommend it highly to anyone who reads Spanish - or French, the translation reads delightfully:
La ridícula idea de no volver a verte / L'idée ridicule de ne plus jamais te revoir, by Rosa Montero.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It was translated in Portuguese... May 30, 2015

Victoria Britten wrote:

(French) from Spanish, a gift from a French friend and because it hasn't been (and almost certainly won't be) translated into English.

And I recommend it highly to anyone who reads Spanish - or French, the translation reads delightfully:
La ridícula idea de no volver a verte / L'idée ridicule de ne plus jamais te revoir, by Rosa Montero.

http://www.portoeditora.pt/imprensa/noticia/ver/o-livro-mais-intimo-de-rosa-montero?id=33263

I will buy it!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:06
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Urdu and Hindi May 30, 2015

As I had mentioned in another post in another thread, I am currently learning to read Urdu, a sister language of Hindi. I have recently found a book by Urdu all-time great poet, Mirza Galib - Diwan-e-galib, which is an anthology put together by the author himself of his best writings. This has the text in both Urdu script and in Hindi script. As you can imagine, it is a great boon to anyone learning a new script to have the text available in another familiar script too.

A second boo
... See more
As I had mentioned in another post in another thread, I am currently learning to read Urdu, a sister language of Hindi. I have recently found a book by Urdu all-time great poet, Mirza Galib - Diwan-e-galib, which is an anthology put together by the author himself of his best writings. This has the text in both Urdu script and in Hindi script. As you can imagine, it is a great boon to anyone learning a new script to have the text available in another familiar script too.

A second book that I am currently rereading, (actually, I am rereading this, as it is an old favourite to which I periodically return) is a collection of essays on Hindi language by the renowned critic, linguist, philosopher, historian, and many more... Dr. Ramvilas Sharma. The book's name is Bharat ki Bhasha Samasya.

Hindi is my main target language. Urdu is a closely related language, which many consider as just a literary form of Hindi. So I also have a professional interest in reading these books.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reading before bed May 30, 2015

Because my niece Candela is always badgering me with “you'll never get to read all those books!” I have to make time for reading the dozens of books I regularly accumulate. I like to read before going to bed, with no other sound than gentle music piping through my Bose stereo Bluetooth speaker connected to my iPad, which is connected to my iCloud account of songs.

In English, I've been reading Leonardo da Vinci: Flights of the Mind by Charles Nicholl; compelling and well-
... See more
Because my niece Candela is always badgering me with “you'll never get to read all those books!” I have to make time for reading the dozens of books I regularly accumulate. I like to read before going to bed, with no other sound than gentle music piping through my Bose stereo Bluetooth speaker connected to my iPad, which is connected to my iCloud account of songs.

In English, I've been reading Leonardo da Vinci: Flights of the Mind by Charles Nicholl; compelling and well-researched, accessible and at times challenging (he uses the original Italian words Da Vinci and his associates used) and always instructive.

In Spanish, Antonio Alatorre's classic Los 1001 años de la lengua española, quite accessible and very educational. This is about the history of the Spanish language in its more than 1000 years of evolution not just from the Latin but from other pre-Roman languages found in the Iberian peninsula.

I just received 2 packets containing 11 books I purchased from Goodwill Books (online, in USA). Quite a bargain!

Today or tomorrow I'm going to the annual used books fair at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH. Admission is free, but sturdy bags or boxes are recommended.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
My target language May 30, 2015

... which is also my first foreign language, English. I hardly ever read books in my native language, Danish.

Like interpretwhisky, I tend to have a number of different books on the go at the same time. Curreently, the list includes:

Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children by Nancy Lamb
Rees Howeels Intercessor by Norman Grubb
Desert Ascent or a Brief Histo
... See more
... which is also my first foreign language, English. I hardly ever read books in my native language, Danish.

Like interpretwhisky, I tend to have a number of different books on the go at the same time. Curreently, the list includes:

Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children by Nancy Lamb
Rees Howeels Intercessor by Norman Grubb
Desert Ascent or a Brief History of Eternity by Simon Parke
The Fundamentals of Architecture by Lorraine Farrelly
Architecture for Dummies by Deborah K. Dietsch

But to be honest, I don't read nearly as much as I would like to when I am not working. After a day's work and staring at a computer for many hours, my eyes need a rest, as does my head. Reading for leisure becomes just 10-15 minutes in bed before lights out...

Ah, for the golden days where I could spend most of a day buried deep in an interesting book...
Collapse

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
both May 30, 2015

It was in English - which is source and target for me. A more interesting question may be: what is the ratio of books you own in your source/target? Almost 100% of all my books are in English, with a few in Spanish and German. But I read/listen to German/French/Spanish online a lot.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both May 30, 2015

It was in English. My source langages are approximately 60% Spanish and 40% English. So I answered "Other"

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:36
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
French May 30, 2015

The last one I read was in French, the one before that Dutch. Next up, probably German.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other May 30, 2015

Since I translate both from and into English, the last book I read was in my source/target language.

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like simple escapism.... May 30, 2015

Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe.

Reading for leisure becomes just 10-15 minutes in bed before lights out...

Ah, for the golden days where I could spend most of a day buried deep in an interesting book...

1. Great-read them all
2. Ditto
3. Ditto

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In what language was the last book you read for pleasure/leisure written?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »