Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you usually do if you become sick while working on a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm sick of the possibility of sickness :) May 29, 2015

This is a very important topic. My thanks to whoever thought up this poll question.

I'm a very healthy male translator in my early 50s (count that 52), so I haven't faced any impairment or debilitating illness that would prevent me from working. Worst case scenario is the proverbial flu, but I still manage to work through it.

I've been lucky: most of the times I've been too sick to work, I had a generous deadline to begin with, I was between jobs or I was an in-house tr
... See more
This is a very important topic. My thanks to whoever thought up this poll question.

I'm a very healthy male translator in my early 50s (count that 52), so I haven't faced any impairment or debilitating illness that would prevent me from working. Worst case scenario is the proverbial flu, but I still manage to work through it.

I've been lucky: most of the times I've been too sick to work, I had a generous deadline to begin with, I was between jobs or I was an in-house translator.

What I've been thinking on and off is this: In the case of an independent translator who lives by herself, what happens if she dies in the middle of an assignment?
Collapse

Zhihua Liu
Zhihua Liu
China
Local time: 04:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
Rest first May 30, 2015

Most projects allow me abundant time, so when I get sick, I take a rest until I feel well enough and then start.
However, sometimes frequent clients would give me small rush assignments, if they are of fields I am familiar with, then I do it, and if not I just request a delay or decline.
Anyway, health comes first. Only when you are healthy can you work efficiently, and also provide the best quality.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:22
Danish to English
+ ...
The neighbours would notice May 30, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

What I've been thinking on and off is this: In the case of an independent translator who lives by herself, what happens if she dies in the middle of an assignment?

Living alone as an independent translator does not mean that nobody notices. My neighbours would be aware of any unusual lack of activity on my part.

And if I'm dead, I don't think I would give a toss about what happens to any uncompleted assignment. Why worry?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
When would anyone notice? May 30, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Living alone as an independent translator does not mean that nobody notices. My neighbours would be aware of any unusual lack of activity on my part.

Not everyone has neighbours like yours, Gitte.

This poor woman in Genoa (link in Italian) lay dead in her flat for seven years and it wasn't even the neighbours that found her. Bailiffs discovered her mummified body when they came round to seize her possessions because she hadn't paid her condominium expenses!

Just for the record, I had to take time off for illness recently. I passed on the work I couldn't handle to translators I know and trust, some of whom I met through Proz.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jun 9, 2015

I force it unless I'm incapable, then I ask for an extension. No subcontracting, as I don't trust people enough.

Annie Sapucaia
Annie Sapucaia  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:22
French to English
+ ...
Just experienced this.. Sep 3, 2016

I was in the middle of a big project for an agency and suddenly got the flu. As I didn't feel I could finish it in time, I sent them what I had and said I would be unable to continue. They reassigned. I just hope this doesn't mean they'll dump me as a translator, though that would seem to be an unreasonable thing to do! One can't help being sick.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you usually do if you become sick while working on a project?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »