Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: As a translator, what is your first priority to spend money on?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 28, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "As a translator, what is your first priority to spend money on?".

This poll was originally submitted by Angus Stewart. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 28, 2015

My first priority is not to prioritize… Depends entirely on the circumstances at the time!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Rent, bills, food... May 28, 2015

I guess these come under "other".

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:11
English to French
Other May 28, 2015

I have no priority as such as a translator. Everything counts.
As a human being, my priorities are (in no particular order): familiy, health, no debt, food, shelter, holiday, pension contributions, etc.

Being self-employed, I buy what I need to be as efficient, productive, prosperous, well-mannered, knowledgeable, low-maintenance, healthy, relaxed, future-proof and fast as I can.

When my computer is slow, I buy a computer
When software is outdated, I upgrad
... See more
I have no priority as such as a translator. Everything counts.
As a human being, my priorities are (in no particular order): familiy, health, no debt, food, shelter, holiday, pension contributions, etc.

Being self-employed, I buy what I need to be as efficient, productive, prosperous, well-mannered, knowledgeable, low-maintenance, healthy, relaxed, future-proof and fast as I can.

When my computer is slow, I buy a computer
When software is outdated, I upgrade it
When I prospect, I may spend on marketing or memberships
When my back is on the verge of breaking, I buy a new chair
When I have a large project in a field outside my comfort zone, I may buy a dictionary or get training.

Philippe
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Computers May 28, 2015

I'd usually say "Other", but am currently considering getting yet another PC ( I currently have 2 desktops and 2 laptops). Having the right tools in the right condition to be able to do my work and deliver on time is the main priority for me, which is why I try to always have an alternative so that I can keep working even when I have an issue with one or two of the computers, or internet failure, power cuts, etc.

A few weeks ago, a piece of software that I had on what I was using a
... See more
I'd usually say "Other", but am currently considering getting yet another PC ( I currently have 2 desktops and 2 laptops). Having the right tools in the right condition to be able to do my work and deliver on time is the main priority for me, which is why I try to always have an alternative so that I can keep working even when I have an issue with one or two of the computers, or internet failure, power cuts, etc.

A few weeks ago, a piece of software that I had on what I was using at the time as my main PC suddenly stop working. Even the SW developer/provider was unable to explain why. Nevertheless, it was still working on my backup PC, so I switched them round. However, the old backup PC has been getting a bit slow and cranky of late, so I think it's about time I invested in a new one, with a faster, more modern setup, as both of my desktops are over five years old and apparently the hardware technology has changed quite a bit.
Collapse

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Previously... May 28, 2015

... my priority would have been to spend money on CPD and translation software, but I am currently avoiding any major expenditure as I am about to move in-house.

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
+ taxes, contributions.... May 28, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

I guess these come under "other".

Utilities, bills, taxes, contributions, accountant, web hostage, basic memberships...

With all that, I have over 100 dictionaries and 3 computers, 3 printers (I need toners in my multicolour laser, though).
So I buy only what I need. And only occasionally, I treat myself with "wants".
My next big "need" is a car (business use mostly - which I don't want to buy unless I can buy it in cash) and my next big want is a TT bike.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
... May 28, 2015

Angus Stewart wrote:
I am about to move in-house.

In the UK? I thought in-house was a myth

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
In-house May 28, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

Angus Stewart wrote:
I am about to move in-house.

In the UK? I thought in-house was a myth

No, in France. In-house jobs are rare, but not non-existant. I guess I just got lucky.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:11
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Hmm May 28, 2015

This is an easy one. Mortgage, living expenses and the missus - not necessarily in that order.

Followed by computer, comfy chair, reference materials, and other office things, otherwise I cannot work.

For your viewing pleasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnS49c9KZw8

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Rent and housekeeping May 28, 2015

Basics first...

Billh
Billh
Spanish to English
+ ...
Booze and smokes May 28, 2015

and my accountant.....

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Living :-) May 28, 2015

Just another way of saying what others have said.

All the same, some earnings have to be ploughed back to ensure future earnings...
My online dictionaries and the computer(s) to run them on are indispensable.
Other/most of the above in fact.
This site does me for a website, and I don't spend much on the office, but all the rest are important.

In-house or not, I would put CPD pretty high, unless my employer was providing it - as mine very generously did
... See more
Just another way of saying what others have said.

All the same, some earnings have to be ploughed back to ensure future earnings...
My online dictionaries and the computer(s) to run them on are indispensable.
Other/most of the above in fact.
This site does me for a website, and I don't spend much on the office, but all the rest are important.

In-house or not, I would put CPD pretty high, unless my employer was providing it - as mine very generously did way back.

For me, CPD includes travel and books, which partly come under living ... as well as structured study at home and any good courses or events for linguists.

Entwined with meeting other linguists comes beating my own drum, networking, or whatever you like to call it, marketing my way.

'To travel is to live' as Hans Christian Andersen (no relation) put it.
Collapse

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
I vote dother May 28, 2015

meaning 'all', because everything counts.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Living first May 28, 2015

House, food, family, the kid's college tuition, vet bills.
Business expenses as they are needed.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a translator, what is your first priority to spend money on?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »