Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you accept requests for urgent projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 25, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you accept requests for urgent projects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Filipa Plant dos Santos. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:49
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes May 25, 2015

most of the time, but only if I have time and the deadline / wordcount is not completely ridiculous.

Billh
Billh
Local time: 10:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
I charge extra per word for "urgencia" May 25, 2015

and as I am apparently one of very few legal translators who can sustain over 10000 words a day this probably accounts for most of my work and earnings.

I flatly refuse to work on just part of a job or project with other translators, I do it all or none at all. I also refuse to work on translations started or touched by other translators. In both cases for reasons of extra work and reputational risk............

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, most of the time May 25, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

most of the time, but only if I have time and the deadline / wordcount is not completely ridiculous.

I answered yes, as a substantial proportion of the potential projects clients approach me with fall into the urgent category.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Only from repeat clients May 25, 2015

Not necessarily regular ones, but they must already have paid me at least once, on time and with no hassle. In fact their previous project(s) must have been hassle-free in terms of administration. I don't put myself out for clients who make my life difficult. OTOH, when a regular client needed me to work past 2 a.m. a few monthe back, I obliged.

Note to new translators: accepting urgent jobs from clients you know nothing about is stressful and could end up in payment issues. Perfor
... See more
Not necessarily regular ones, but they must already have paid me at least once, on time and with no hassle. In fact their previous project(s) must have been hassle-free in terms of administration. I don't put myself out for clients who make my life difficult. OTOH, when a regular client needed me to work past 2 a.m. a few monthe back, I obliged.

Note to new translators: accepting urgent jobs from clients you know nothing about is stressful and could end up in payment issues. Performing all the necessary steps (checking whether the company is legit, checking reputation, getting the invoice and other contact details and, most importantly, tying down the terms and conditions of the job) takes time. Skip this due diligence at your peril.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes, depending on several factors May 25, 2015

First of all: Who for? For my regular clients I would for sure accept immediately, as keeping my clients happy keeps me happy as well, but I would probably hesitate for a new client, unless the project seems interesting, the money is good, the client has a good reputation and I’m available...

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
sure May 25, 2015

As far as I work directly I always accept rush jobs, which are just more lucrative and higher-priority. Of course, if there are two rush jobs, I usually take the smaller one first.

I used to think that switching to and fro is rather annoying and nuisance, but it gave me a habit to reread and recheck not only the source, but also the previously translated parts. Shortly, instead of changing activities I often enjoy changing the text/part for a while. Yep, it's kinda refreshing.
... See more
As far as I work directly I always accept rush jobs, which are just more lucrative and higher-priority. Of course, if there are two rush jobs, I usually take the smaller one first.

I used to think that switching to and fro is rather annoying and nuisance, but it gave me a habit to reread and recheck not only the source, but also the previously translated parts. Shortly, instead of changing activities I often enjoy changing the text/part for a while. Yep, it's kinda refreshing.

No pending, just rescheduling)
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If the client sounds reasonable May 25, 2015

I know my regular clients, and of course I help them out when I can.

I have in fact started working for several good clients by taking urgent jobs, if the scenario is:

Agency receives a job request -> all their regular translators are busy or on holiday -> they have to find a 'new' translator -> the job gets urgent while they are looking for one.

If the job is small, the risk is not always high, and if I can, I often press it in for them after quick checks
... See more
I know my regular clients, and of course I help them out when I can.

I have in fact started working for several good clients by taking urgent jobs, if the scenario is:

Agency receives a job request -> all their regular translators are busy or on holiday -> they have to find a 'new' translator -> the job gets urgent while they are looking for one.

If the job is small, the risk is not always high, and if I can, I often press it in for them after quick checks of their website and the Blue Board. That gut feeling has proved trustworthy, or I have been lucky.

I have indeed found one or two clients that way who never had any 'ordinary' jobs; everything was urgent. I give up on that type fast too - I genuinely do not have time to drop everything and do their job first every time.

However, I have an understanding husband and no small children, so it is no big problem to take urgent jobs and take time off later. Others have done that for me when I had more family ties, and it helps a lot if someone can be flexible!
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes... May 25, 2015

If I feel like there's something in it for me that outweighs the stress involved, sure.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes if May 25, 2015

and only if the conditions on both sides make it possible to be done to a high professional standard.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 25, 2015

Especially from my direct clients. Am not so keen on "urgent" requests from agencies or other sources.
My take on it is that if everything is being classed as "urgent", the company or client is not being professional enough to plan their "projects" properly, i.e. factoring in the time required for things like drafting and translation of texts.

I'm willing to bet that very few of the many clients asking for urgent translation work give up their weekends or other quality time
... See more
Especially from my direct clients. Am not so keen on "urgent" requests from agencies or other sources.
My take on it is that if everything is being classed as "urgent", the company or client is not being professional enough to plan their "projects" properly, i.e. factoring in the time required for things like drafting and translation of texts.

I'm willing to bet that very few of the many clients asking for urgent translation work give up their weekends or other quality time to ensure that deadlines are met.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, if ... May 25, 2015

1. It's for a regular client, and
2. The time frame is doable.

Some of my clients pay extra for rush work, which is a nice incentive.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:49
Portuguese to English
+ ...
depends entirely upon May 25, 2015

1. my availability
2. the nature of the project to be completed
3. the feasibility of completing the project according to required terms
4. my prior relationship to the client
5. the compensation offered

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:49
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes... May 25, 2015

...on condition that some kind of monetary incentive is involved, like most of you all have already stated.

Since 'rush' or 'urgent' necessitates some kind of sacrifice in terms of time and, in the worst case, burning the candle at both ends, a 30% surcharge on weekdays and 60% on weekends is a reasonable price to pay.

This would be the response from a lawyer or a doctor, if they even agree to help you out.

Mind you, this proviso is for infrequent customers
... See more
...on condition that some kind of monetary incentive is involved, like most of you all have already stated.

Since 'rush' or 'urgent' necessitates some kind of sacrifice in terms of time and, in the worst case, burning the candle at both ends, a 30% surcharge on weekdays and 60% on weekends is a reasonable price to pay.

This would be the response from a lawyer or a doctor, if they even agree to help you out.

Mind you, this proviso is for infrequent customers only.

For regular customers, I try to accommodate all of their requests within reason. I always try to take the rough with the smooth and bend like bamboo in the wind. Ideally it should all balance out in the long run.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Before I forget May 25, 2015

I hope those of you who were so horrified by the environmental implications of dinosaur translators printing out jobs for checking are aware that this pales into insignificance next to the environmental impact of the palm oil in your biscuits... Just saying.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you accept requests for urgent projects?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »