Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is the maximum number of words you've translated in 24 hours?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
quick translation rush job May 24, 2015

Quite often my clients require their job done ASAP (as soon as possible!) for they need to know what is there main idea of the text at least as the first adequate approximation at some 7k words/day rate, yet no edit/proofread. Though it's not rare they give my translation back with a task to 'translate it in full' (for biz) at some 3.5 words/day. I don't mind it, however, I very selectively use my quick translations for I prefer a clean job)

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Secret sauce May 24, 2015

Luiz Barucke wrote:

I'm understanding 24 hours here as from a day until another, not 24 working hours.

It varies a lot depending on the job complexity. I have already spent about 18 hours (3 days) translating a 6000-word magazine article on archeology. Each sentence needed some research to be sure.

But with a simple text about a training on information security, I've translated the whole batch with 8k words during one work day.

Generally, I translate about 4k per day... Not on archeology, of course

What's your secret? Dragon NaturallySpeaking dictation software or you are a very fast touch typist? By fast I mean over 90 words per minute…without making mistakes.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
9,000 - only once! May 24, 2015

That was a long time ago and the text was very repetitious. Nowadays I'm happy to do 2,000 words and don't try for much more.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:58
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jun 9, 2015

Something to the tune of 20K.

Julian Holmes wrote:

It was for a machine tool that I was very familiar with and the Japanese was pretty much a doddle.

I used to be a very fast typist (until I buggered up my right right hand). On this particular job, I was in good form and bashed out several pages of source text all to do with the X axis which turned into about 20 pages of English (@200 words per page) and then found that the next two sections were exactly the same but for the Y and Z axes.

I proofed what I'd already done to make sure that everything was OK, did a couple of copy and pastes and find and replaces and - hey presto! - the translation literally tripled in an instant.

This was about 20 odd years ago. Aaaah, the good ol' days before the advent of CATs! You could bill the customer for total word counts without discounts for repetitions. And, the rates were that much higher then! Holmsey went home very satisfied that day.

Do I get a cigar and bragging rights for this one?

Definitely!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the maximum number of words you've translated in 24 hours?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »