Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you ever proofread your translations on paper?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
No May 20, 2015

I often have to translate texts which are always banging on about reducing the amount of paper used in business, so I try to do my bit by recycling as much as possible and using only the minimum of printed material.
However, I do know some people who prefer to proofread their texts on paper. If they are more comfortable working that way, then fair enough.

PS: Having said that, and now perused the other posts, I must admit I'm baffled by why so many colleagues seem to find read
... See more
I often have to translate texts which are always banging on about reducing the amount of paper used in business, so I try to do my bit by recycling as much as possible and using only the minimum of printed material.
However, I do know some people who prefer to proofread their texts on paper. If they are more comfortable working that way, then fair enough.

PS: Having said that, and now perused the other posts, I must admit I'm baffled by why so many colleagues seem to find reading a text on-screen as unworkable, inefficient or unpleasant. I've never been fond of my handwriting and used to make too many mistakes on old-fashioned typewriters, so was glad when PCs came along and took a lot of the effort out of text work.
On the other hand, I tend to work more slowly than other translators I know who can type quickly, but I usually end up with an initial draft that has few errors, if any.

[Edited at 2015-05-20 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No May 20, 2015

The screen is (more) environmentally friendly, so there's no need to kill trees just to do the proofreading.

Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, sometimes May 20, 2015

I like to proofread on paper when there's time and when extra creativity/flow is required. It was particularly useful when working on book translations - it was a lot of paper, but you can always print on the other side (my printer doesn't do double-sided)!
Also, having a paper copy takes you away from the screen and it means you don't have to lug your laptop around if you want to go and, say, work from a café for a couple of hours.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
As far as I work directly May 20, 2015

with my clients, I usually double-check my job and recheck the final revision.
Though, I don't mind if a client wants 'just prompting')

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Print as little as possible May 20, 2015

Come on, we are in the 21st century! There is hardly any need to print anything in the translation process.
Printing out a long document for proofreading is not only wasteful, but makes no sense. I see nothing wrong or difficult with doing on the screen everything others said.

These days my printer is off 99.9% of the time, I only print my invoices, nothing else. Even recycled paper uses a lot of energy in the process of recycling.

[Edited at 2015-05-20
... See more
Come on, we are in the 21st century! There is hardly any need to print anything in the translation process.
Printing out a long document for proofreading is not only wasteful, but makes no sense. I see nothing wrong or difficult with doing on the screen everything others said.

These days my printer is off 99.9% of the time, I only print my invoices, nothing else. Even recycled paper uses a lot of energy in the process of recycling.

[Edited at 2015-05-20 14:43 GMT]
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
German to English
+ ...
Yes May 21, 2015

and one additional reason is that it's an opportunity to get away from the position of sitting on a chair and in front of a screen all the time.

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, sometimes May 21, 2015

To give my eyes a break from staring at the screen for hours or to get a better visual of the final translation, especially if I had to format the file to match the source myself.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:35
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Hardly ever May 21, 2015

Except speeches, company profiles, IR materials, tourism brochures, other creative writing, etc. that require a couple of extra looks.

More than 95% of my work is tech translation and is done in a famous CAT tool beginning with the letter 'T'. I enlarge text on screen to make it easy to read from about 70 cm away from the screen. This is all I need.
A major reason that I hardly ever proofread on paper is that a lot of jobs:

(1) have locked segments that don't req
... See more
Except speeches, company profiles, IR materials, tourism brochures, other creative writing, etc. that require a couple of extra looks.

More than 95% of my work is tech translation and is done in a famous CAT tool beginning with the letter 'T'. I enlarge text on screen to make it easy to read from about 70 cm away from the screen. This is all I need.
A major reason that I hardly ever proofread on paper is that a lot of jobs:

(1) have locked segments that don't require my attention, and
(2) have partial matches where all I have to do is make sure that new parts to varying extents are correctly translated.
The display area on screen which indicates where text in segments do not match similar sentences in the TM is very helpful. I would not be able to turn this feature to good advantage if I were to proof on paper and this would conversely generate unnecessary work for me.

Small edit

[Edited at 2015-05-21 05:19 GMT]
Collapse

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Sometimes May 21, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

Same here.
For this type of work I've found no better way of ensuring that the final rendition is to the best of my ability.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in years May 21, 2015

I used to print everything (source and target), but not in the last 10 years or so. Besides using all tools provided by CAT's & word processors, I have a TTS engine read the text out loud for me while I follow with my eyes. This helps a lot especially for typos. I guess I'm better at identifying them with my hearing than with my eyes. Also, I do all my final proofing in a PDF.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:35
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Most of the time I don't May 21, 2015

just out of laziness or to save paper and ink when the document is too long.

But I can assure you, proofreading a hard copy is far more efficient than on the screen.

[Edited at 2015-05-21 18:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever proofread your translations on paper?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »