Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which is the most frequent reason why you turn down projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who is counting? May 19, 2015

In principle, I like the fact that the pollster took the time to create a long list of possible reasons for turning down a job. He probably ran out of space or options for a A combination of the above.

I disagree, however, with the angle of the question: Which is the most frequent reason…? I treasure my time, so I don't waste it by making lists of most frequent reasons to turn down jobs.

Some people seem compelled or feel the compulsion to keep tabs on
... See more
In principle, I like the fact that the pollster took the time to create a long list of possible reasons for turning down a job. He probably ran out of space or options for a A combination of the above.

I disagree, however, with the angle of the question: Which is the most frequent reason…? I treasure my time, so I don't waste it by making lists of most frequent reasons to turn down jobs.

Some people seem compelled or feel the compulsion to keep tabs on everything. In following that logic (evident in this poll), a natural follow-up question would be How many potential jobs did you turn down last quarter/last year/last decade?

The problem with those statistics, however carefully crafted, is that they are completely and utterly useless from a professional and a business standpoint.

Now, this poll may have a deeper reason: maybe some people should do some self-examination as for the most frequent reason why they turn down projects. Very few of us will admit to being angry or intolerant when faced with stupid requests, ignorant project managers and the like. Of course, many of us manage to behave professionally and just say no, thanks. But, is there a psychological component in the mix? Could it be that some of those undesirable prospects see something in us that we could correct to avoid attracting any more unfavorable offers?

Food for thought!
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:56
Danish to English
+ ...
Unprofessional behaviour May 19, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Let me understand this correctly: offers asking for impossible deadlines are unprofessional but snarky (and completely voluntary) remarks or replies are not? You didn't ask for the job, you didn't get the job, why bother pouring your anger at that “unprofessional” Proz poster? Just ignore it.

The professional thing to do is not to engage with potential customers who are asking for the impossible, by hook or by crook. Sending sarcastic or angry replies is never professional.

Too true, me and my big mouth went unprofessional there, thanks for pointing this out, Mario, I accept this. I shouldn't have stooped to their level of unprofessional behaviour...

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:56
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Counting? No, but... May 19, 2015

No, I don't keep a tab on the number of offers and the reason for declining.
But some things just stick in your mind.

When I first started out, I was practically bombarded with "offers" roughly equal to UK unemployment benefits. I don't know if those agencies have given up, or if my spam filter is more efficient these days. Maybe, I have just become better at ignoring them. Either way, I don't "feel" like I'm getting too many unreasonable offers now.

Any other r
... See more

When I first started out, I was practically bombarded with "offers" roughly equal to UK unemployment benefits. I don't know if those agencies have given up, or if my spam filter is more efficient these days. Maybe, I have just become better at ignoring them. Either way, I don't "feel" like I'm getting too many unreasonable offers now.

Any other rate/subject/interest issues simply mean that these aren't "my potential projects" anyway. I don't think about them.

What I really notice is the projects that I have to turn down due to lack of time. I couldn't say if the actual number of project offers has increased. But I have noticed them more, because the specific outsourcer, the specific project, or both looked rather interesting, and I was really disappointed that I had to decline the offer. It "feels like" this is the prime reason I have to turn down projects.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Those days May 19, 2015

dianaft wrote:

Any other rate/subject/interest issues simply mean that these aren't "my potential projects" anyway. I don't think about them.

What I really notice is the projects that I have to turn down due to lack of time. I couldn't say if the actual number of project offers has increased. But I have noticed them more, because the specific outsourcer, the specific project, or both looked rather interesting, and I was really disappointed that I had to decline the offer. It "feels like" this is the prime reason I have to turn down projects.

That comment actually made me think about the times I turned down jobs in the past because I had no time available. When I was an in-house translator, sometimes I had to say no to interesting jobs. When I was an independent worker, I would regret saying no because then my schedule would open up!

A life without regrets keeps on being an utopic goal of mine.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:56
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
No need to count, but overall trends are discernible May 19, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Nor do I. I couldn't say it any better than Dinadaft did:

Dinadaft wrote:

Counting? No, but...
... some things just stick in your mind.

I had noticed a recurring trend in my predominant reason for turning down work and my reason for framing the poll as I did was that I was curious to know whether that experience was replicated across the profession as whole.

To be more specific, this trend:

Teresa Borges wrote: My most frequent reason to turn down a project.... is probably "the rate offered is ridiculously low"

Or as Dinadaft aptly put it:

Dinadaft wrote: "offers" roughly equal to UK unemployment benefits.

Perhaps, the explanation for the plethora of such offers is that the clients in question are being met with flat rejections by the vast majority of professional colleagues and accordingly are having to put more effort into searching for a prospective translator to take on their project. In any event I found that the trend is discernible.

Mario Chavez wrote:
He probably ran out of space or options for a A combination of the above.

No, I deliberately chose not to include that option to avoid it skewing the results.

Mario Chavez write:
Now, this poll may have a deeper reason: maybe some people should do some self-examination as for the most frequent reason why they turn down projects. .... Could it be that some of those undesirable prospects see something in us that we could correct to avoid attracting any more unfavorable offers?

Food for thought!

Food for thought indeed Mario!

[Edited at 2015-05-19 20:16 GMT]

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:56
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Low rates, I am afraid May 19, 2015

Low rates is the main reason.
I have recently received a request for quotation for NGO. The NGO has turned out to be a major UN agency. Apparently, by calling it NGO the agency wanted me to lower my rates which is not acceptable.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:56
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Can't choose a single reason May 21, 2015

Most of these apply, and I can't really say one is more significant than the other. LAtely, I've refused many jobs because I wouldn't have time to do them. But I often refuse low prices, clients with less than 4.5 in the Blue Board, agencies that send me e-mails that don't mention my name or their complete information, and others.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends Jun 9, 2015

Individual projects:

– rates per se (requested lower than usual)
– agency's client wants a bespoke/premium job with a lot of pampering for standard agency rates
– disrespectful inquiry
– unfamiliar field

Entire agencies (more or less in order of frequency of occurrence):

– abusive contracts (the most frequent reason)
– low rates
– disrespectful attitude
– clearly, dangerously unprofessional behaviour

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is the most frequent reason why you turn down projects?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »