Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you ever offer free translations for regular clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:35
English to Polish
Other Apr 27, 2015

I don't mind translating a sentence or a few word for free for regulars. Anything bigger than that - no.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:35
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Apr 27, 2015

Armorel Young wrote:

For my main clients who regularly send me large documents, for which they pay well, I happily translate the occasional odd sentence or short paragraph for free - it would seem churlish not to. Otherwise, no.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Very occasionally .. Apr 27, 2015

I do translate the odd sentence or phrase free for regular clients.

[Edited at 2015-04-27 10:30 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Same here Apr 27, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

Armorel Young wrote:

For my main clients who regularly send me large documents, for which they pay well, I happily translate the occasional odd sentence or short paragraph for free - it would seem churlish not to. Otherwise, no.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
When it takes longer to invoice than just do the translation... Apr 27, 2015

Armorel Young wrote:

I hate invoicing, and I don't do much marketing.

The odd free translation for regular clients oils the wheels and keeps them coming back with real work that they pay for.

One client who hardly ever sends large jobs - often under 100 words and rarely over 1000 - pays a handsome minimum rate for all the small ones. He usually wants Trados files and TMs, and the end client discusses terminology, so I do NOT do that kind of thing for free.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:35
German to English
+ ...
not offer, but it happens Apr 27, 2015

I mean, I don't go out and offer to do free translations for anyone. But things come across my desk. This week-end a very good client sent me two gobbledygook English sentences and asked if I could turn them into anything sensible. They said I should add the fee to my next invoice. First I didn't think I could do anything with the sentences and said so. Later on it dawned on me what they were about, and sent my proposed rework and thinking about the same. It was almost like doing a jigsaw ... See more
I mean, I don't go out and offer to do free translations for anyone. But things come across my desk. This week-end a very good client sent me two gobbledygook English sentences and asked if I could turn them into anything sensible. They said I should add the fee to my next invoice. First I didn't think I could do anything with the sentences and said so. Later on it dawned on me what they were about, and sent my proposed rework and thinking about the same. It was almost like doing a jigsaw puzzle, sort of fun. I will not charge them for it. Like others wrote - it's also goodwill. It's an excellent client.Collapse

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
A short sentence, yes Apr 27, 2015

Armorel Young wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

Henny Willis
Henny Willis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:35
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Almost never Apr 27, 2015

Yes, I have done some very short words/sentences as a favor.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just because it's free, doesn't mean it won't cost you ;) Apr 27, 2015

I think that there are several reasons to provide a translation "on the house." Right now I'm looking over a couple of potential projects that I would do for "free," but I'm also being a little demanding in the rights to use the translation and the source material that I will receive in exchange. The idea is for the exchange to be mutually beneficial - we're not slaves, we don't owe our clients anything, and we're definitively not nice enough to just give our work away... or maybe it's just me.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
sometimes, depending on various factors Apr 27, 2015

Like others, as a gesture of food will (so they'll send more work and I can buy food, especially bacon),
I will give a client a sentence or two, no worries.

Also, I have a few school districts in a neighbouring state for whom I've been working for the past 5 or 6 years or so, who send regular work all throughout the school year, and occasionally entire student handbooks and stuff over the summer, so if they send something less than 200 words, and I have TMs that cover most of
... See more
Like others, as a gesture of food will (so they'll send more work and I can buy food, especially bacon),
I will give a client a sentence or two, no worries.

Also, I have a few school districts in a neighbouring state for whom I've been working for the past 5 or 6 years or so, who send regular work all throughout the school year, and occasionally entire student handbooks and stuff over the summer, so if they send something less than 200 words, and I have TMs that cover most of it, which happens from time to time, I'll just do it.

I use OmegaT, and I can just add the new source document to an existing project and bang it out quicker than I could draw up an invoice, and schools don't have a lot of money anyway.

And these schools send regular work and keep recommending me to other school systems, so I feel good about doing it, and it pays off in the long run, anyway.

[Edited at 2015-04-27 19:05 GMT]
Collapse

Sidney_1
Sidney_1  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 15:35
English to Chinese
though i voted never Apr 27, 2015

but yeah, a short sentence or two is totally okay

[修改时间: 2015-04-27 19:53 GMT]

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, and I have clients that work for free for me too Apr 27, 2015

Depending on the relationship, sometimes I do short texts for free. I also have a couple of agencies for whom I'll translate short texts for free if it isn't going to have an impact on any other projects/pending tasks.

I have two direct clients for whom I do a fair bit of work for free. But they do lots of free work for me too, so it balances out.

In general it all balances out; I only ever work for free for people that make my life easier when they can too.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever offer free translations for regular clients?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »