Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you work over the weekend?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 23, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work over the weekend?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, occasionally/frequently! Apr 23, 2015

At my convenience, if and when work comes along. Anyway, I prefer taking days off when everyone else is "busy"...

Victoria Batarchuk
Victoria Batarchuk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:03
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, sometimes, Apr 23, 2015

if the work is urgent and I have no other important things to do that were scheduled before.

Instead I can (or have to) make a "weekend" any day of the week. That's one of the advantages (or disadvantages?) of being a freelancer.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:03
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhere between 'sometimes' and 'always' Apr 23, 2015

Let's say 'very often'. I get more interruptions during the week, more appointments, etc., etc. And I don't like to go shopping on weekends, so I do that during the week as well. I try to keep up a quota during the week, even if I have a lot of other things on my plate, leaving the weekend free to catch up if I need to.

What I don't do is accept a job on Friday that's due on Monday -- not unless I'm offered a really high rate and I really want to do it.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:03
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Apr 23, 2015

In principal, no, although there may be exceptions very occasionally.
Most weekends I have other things to do, either with friends who also work during the week, or organised stuff - sports competitions and the like.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes, always ... Apr 23, 2015

when there is work. There isn't always work available, so the real answer is: in theory- always; in practice- sometimes.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Wow, so many workaholics... Apr 23, 2015

I used to work on weekends in the beginning, but I prefer to spend time with family and friends, they are not available during the week.

Nowadays I even manage to completely ignore business emails on weekends - most of the times I conveniently lose my phone on Saturday morning.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Occasionally Apr 23, 2015

If paid double

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, often Apr 23, 2015

What's so special about weekends anyway? I can understand it if you're working 9-to-5 job five days a week, but as a freelancer I find that Saturday and Sunday are no longer so important to me in that sense. This weekend, I'll probably engage in mostly leisure pursuits, with a charity event to attend on Sunday, but if work came up, I'd probably accept it.

PS: Dear colleagues, please keep your judgemental "-aholic" affixes to yourselves. We don't all necessarily share your Weltanscha
... See more
What's so special about weekends anyway? I can understand it if you're working 9-to-5 job five days a week, but as a freelancer I find that Saturday and Sunday are no longer so important to me in that sense. This weekend, I'll probably engage in mostly leisure pursuits, with a charity event to attend on Sunday, but if work came up, I'd probably accept it.

PS: Dear colleagues, please keep your judgemental "-aholic" affixes to yourselves. We don't all necessarily share your Weltanschauung and opinions.

[Edited at 2015-04-23 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:03
German to English
+ ...
not a workaholic Apr 23, 2015

It is just as possible to take off other days of the week. People shouldn't be judged for their choices, unless maybe a lot more is known about what they do.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ahem Apr 23, 2015

neilmac wrote:

What's so special about weekends anyway?

You mean, apart from being the time when children are out of school, friends and family are off work, and the vast majority of social, religious and sporting events take place?

Now what was that about Weltanschauungen?!

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sometimes ... Apr 23, 2015

I do, sometimes, if it suits me, my family, my schedule - but I do mostly work Monday to Friday

But, like Muriel said, I also don't accept urgent jobs on Friday evening for Monday morning.

[Edited at 2015-04-23 10:52 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
Member (2004)
English to Italian
almost always... Apr 23, 2015

with a large family, I don't have the luxury... if there is work, I do it...

Also, it allows me to stay on top of the schedule for the following week...

If I could not work, I wouldn't...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:03
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Apr 23, 2015

It really doesn't bother me. Sats and Suns are really quiet over here (no calls or e-mails from customers to deal with) and provide me with quality time to get a lot of work done uninterrupted if I have to do so or want to do so.

Besides, I can take time off during the week to make up for 'lost' weekend time to see a film or visit places which, incidentally, tend to free of the hoards of people who can only come out on a weekend and quieter and more enjoyable.

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:03
German to English
Always, when.... Apr 23, 2015

If there is work that can be done over the weekend, sure, I'll work. Holidays, too. From my point of view, there is nothing special about such days. More than anything, I suppose I consider them an assurance that employers aren't driving their wage slaves too hard. (tongue in cheek?...better check.)

However, I don't exactly count myself a workaholic either. If I'm not being driven by someone else's deadlines, I'll go d
... See more
If there is work that can be done over the weekend, sure, I'll work. Holidays, too. From my point of view, there is nothing special about such days. More than anything, I suppose I consider them an assurance that employers aren't driving their wage slaves too hard. (tongue in cheek?...better check.)

However, I don't exactly count myself a workaholic either. If I'm not being driven by someone else's deadlines, I'll go do something fun, pointless or not related to the contract, as I feel the need for a break.

David.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work over the weekend?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »