Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:02
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Rarely Apr 23, 2015

I have two little girls who are at home from school in the weekend, so if I can I prefer not to work, it's nice spend time with all my family, or simply relaxing all together.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 02:02
Turkish to English
+ ...
Each to their own Apr 23, 2015

Chris S wrote:

neilmac wrote:

What's so special about weekends anyway?

You mean, apart from being the time when children are out of school, friends and family are off work, and the vast majority of social, religious and sporting events take place?

Now what was that about Weltanschauungen?!

Come on, we are entitled to adopt the lifestyle we wish (within reason). I for one quite like having free time in the middle of the week when most people are working and the shops are less busy. It also gives me the opportunity to deal with various matters at government offices, which are closed here at the weekends. If I prefer to work at the weekend and compensate by having a day or two off during the week, what is that to anybody else? I don't dictate to others that they must do the same.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:02
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
sometimes/always Apr 23, 2015

I often work weekends....in fact did a large project last weekend. I am fine with weekend work and being able to take off a monday or weekday!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sometimes Apr 23, 2015

Since Sunday is not considered part of the weekend in some countries, I am available for my clients at least on Sundays. In fact, when there is work, I'm always available... if possible.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 19:02
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Weltanschauung = Philosophy of life Apr 23, 2015

Chris S wrote:

This is something quite different when you live in a Caribbean country. I rather spend my time driving 3 hours for going to the parental family rest house aside the pool and suntan myself at 400 m altitude over the weekend, than staying to work at 2600 m altitude with natural air conditioning (16 to 22 C the whole year).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
When it suits me Apr 23, 2015

A lot of my friends are pensioners, and my family has always had members who worked at the weekends or in the evenings. (Clergy, doctors, social workers...). I have done my share of weekend and evening shifts too, before I started translating.

There are advantages in taking time off when the shops and places to go are less busy, so in my mind work is not automatically tied to Monday to Friday, eight to four in Denmark or nine to five in the UK.

I try to keep at least on
... See more
A lot of my friends are pensioners, and my family has always had members who worked at the weekends or in the evenings. (Clergy, doctors, social workers...). I have done my share of weekend and evening shifts too, before I started translating.

There are advantages in taking time off when the shops and places to go are less busy, so in my mind work is not automatically tied to Monday to Friday, eight to four in Denmark or nine to five in the UK.

I try to keep at least one day a week computer-free, and as most of my clients contact me Monday to Friday, the computer-free day tends to be at the weekend.

However, if others in the family are working over the weekend and organising social life mid-week, then I can often arrange my schedule to fit in, and I catch up at the weekend.

That is what FREElancing is about. I certainly tried harder to keep weekends free when my husband was working very long office days and my son was at school.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wow Apr 24, 2015

Jorge Payan wrote:

Chris S wrote:

This is something quite different when you live in a Caribbean country. I rather spend my time driving 3 hours for going to the parental family rest house aside the pool and suntan myself at 400 m altitude over the weekend, than staying to work at 2600 m altitude with natural air conditioning (16 to 22 C the whole year).

May I envy you noisily, sir?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Weekend is as weekend does Apr 24, 2015

Unless you are someone who leads a religious life (I've known a couple of Jewish translators who close shop at 6 p.m. on Fridays, no matter what) or someone who leads a very structured calendar-led life, every day is just like any other day.

When you don't have a family of your own or family obligations to attend, your time is your own to use as you please.

As Julian said, one can compensate for a lost or busy weekend with time off in mid week if needed.

I
... See more
Unless you are someone who leads a religious life (I've known a couple of Jewish translators who close shop at 6 p.m. on Fridays, no matter what) or someone who leads a very structured calendar-led life, every day is just like any other day.

When you don't have a family of your own or family obligations to attend, your time is your own to use as you please.

As Julian said, one can compensate for a lost or busy weekend with time off in mid week if needed.

I came home today from a 2-day business trip (job interviews) and I was feeling very frustrated with tarmac delays. I used to love traveling by plane as often as I could. Not any more. As an independent contractor, I can look forward to work this weekend, but Friday (tomorrow) is as sacred as a religious holiday this time: time off for me.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Missundaztood Apr 24, 2015

Tim Drayton wrote:

Come on, we are entitled to adopt the lifestyle we wish (within reason) (...) If I prefer to work at the weekend and compensate by having a day or two off during the week, what is that to anybody else? I don't dictate to others that they must do the same.

Absolutely. Although the prevailing view on here seems to be that being a freelance translator is all about having the freedom to work through the night snorting sherbert in your pajamas in the corner of someone else's bedroom while having your toes tickled by hermaphrodite dwarves, others may still prefer the traditional 9-5 approach, for all kinds of reasons.

[Edited at 2015-04-24 07:33 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work over the weekend?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »