Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you intentionally apply translation theories when you are working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you point the way Apr 17, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:
I invite you to take a look at translation theories with an open mind, take what you find useful and move on.

I have no idea of what translation theories are, but I agree with what you say, as you seem knowledgeable about them is there any websites you know of where I could start delving into this?

Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hear, hear Apr 17, 2015

I have to agree with the previous comment.
I apply every single day ideas, concepts, techniques, theories I have learnt during my studies. Linguistics, translation theory, Semantics. Science. Beautiful.
And more beautiful when you see it happening, when you put it into practice.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:51
French to English
Hi Alex Apr 17, 2015

Alex Lago wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:
I invite you to take a look at translation theories with an open mind, take what you find useful and move on.

I have no idea of what translation theories are, but I agree with what you say, as you seem knowledgeable about them is there any websites you know of where I could start delving into this?

Are you a translator? If so, I'm sure you have the ability to do a little research into translation theory yourself. It's very easy to find stuff, if you're interested - there are loads of books and articles on the subject, which I'm sure you'll find absolutely fascinating. After all who wouldn't be interested in theories about their own profession?

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
German to English
+ ...
my one encounter with them Apr 17, 2015

A couple of years ago somebody somewhere brought up the subject, and quoted a particular book which could also be found on-line, or some concept with a fancy name, and ditto. I took the time to read and understand whatever it was. It was very complicated and the solutions - when they could finally be found - were equally complex and abstract. However, I recognized what the writer was saying. Basically, that when you do a translation, you need to know the purpose of the translation, who will ... See more
A couple of years ago somebody somewhere brought up the subject, and quoted a particular book which could also be found on-line, or some concept with a fancy name, and ditto. I took the time to read and understand whatever it was. It was very complicated and the solutions - when they could finally be found - were equally complex and abstract. However, I recognized what the writer was saying. Basically, that when you do a translation, you need to know the purpose of the translation, who will be reading it, why he is reading it, what the source and target countries are, and also the register or environment (doctor's office; clinic for an uneducated populace, etc.). To me this is common sense. If it is not common sense, it can be explained in simpler and straightforward terms. And the way to get there is not nearly as complicated as the treatise sounded.

To the question: I do intentionally apply something when I'm working. I don't know if I'd call it theories. There are criteria and procedure. It's not an ad hoc loose non-process kind of process.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
as a translation/language competency? Apr 17, 2015

When choosing between 'theoretical' (based on a theory) and 'empirical' (based on evidence), I would prefer 'practical' approach, because for me (and my clients) only the result matters, not the process, different explanations, classifications or fancy names and definitions.

Indeed, if it's about translation competency, then all decent translators do intentionally apply these or those aspects described in numerous (often incomplete and even wrong!) theories to get the idea (text) tr
... See more
When choosing between 'theoretical' (based on a theory) and 'empirical' (based on evidence), I would prefer 'practical' approach, because for me (and my clients) only the result matters, not the process, different explanations, classifications or fancy names and definitions.

Indeed, if it's about translation competency, then all decent translators do intentionally apply these or those aspects described in numerous (often incomplete and even wrong!) theories to get the idea (text) translated. However, as far as people who can speak properly and correctly are not obliged to write properly too, and those who can write properly are not obliged to master linguistics theories and meta-language definitions behind the scene, and so the translators are not obliged to learn how some scholars decided to call this or that element in their another meta-theory, IMO.

Why, a theoretical background is always a plus, that's why I'm not trying to diminish the value of 'knowledge about knowledge', yet I see no use of making an extra accent on rather subjective theories, which still can neither comprehend, nor reduce some academical to scientific rules.

If the question were something like 'Which translation theory do you prefer and why?', I'd be glad to discuss it, but in this form it makes no sense for me, alas. It's like asking 'Do you intentionally apply unilateral or bilateral language theory when thinking about a yellow elephant?' So what?

Perhaps, a little later some PROZian would prove me wrong and provide his or her 'properly applicable' theory of translation, which would achieve all the goals and cover all the aspects of translation, but not now)
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Translation what...? Apr 18, 2015

Firstly, I'd say that for someone to take it upon themselves to explain to us "lesser mortals" here on ProZ the difference between the popular understanding of a "theory" and a theory proper is, at the least, uncalled for. (Clue: we don't really think it means "conjecture")

We're not thick.

After translating professionally, and apparently successfully, for over a couple of decades, I eventually decided to read up on the subject. Nothing formal, but I can read.
<
... See more
Firstly, I'd say that for someone to take it upon themselves to explain to us "lesser mortals" here on ProZ the difference between the popular understanding of a "theory" and a theory proper is, at the least, uncalled for. (Clue: we don't really think it means "conjecture")

We're not thick.

After translating professionally, and apparently successfully, for over a couple of decades, I eventually decided to read up on the subject. Nothing formal, but I can read.

My conclusion was the same as Chris' 2 pages ago: common sense dressed up with fancy names and a repetition of the bleedin' obvious.

I'd like to invite those who think that these theories have any practical application to give us a single practical example. Why not? That's what the OP was referring to?

Any example they think that someone cannot learn by experience and is only available to those who've studied these theories.
Just one: in my case, preferably ES-EN-ES.

Any takers?

[Edited at 2015-04-18 01:42 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
a shameful silence or an ineptitude? Apr 21, 2015

Andy, I also have been waiting for a demonstration of theory vs./with practice in vain.

How dare people breathe without understanding even the basics of the respiratory system?!
How dare they drink or eat without learning Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, and so on?!
How dare they think, speak or talk without meditation on linguistics theories and psychology?!
How they dare?! They just do it and excel.

A theory (as an observation or indeed a hypot
... See more
Andy, I also have been waiting for a demonstration of theory vs./with practice in vain.

How dare people breathe without understanding even the basics of the respiratory system?!
How dare they drink or eat without learning Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, and so on?!
How dare they think, speak or talk without meditation on linguistics theories and psychology?!
How they dare?! They just do it and excel.

A theory (as an observation or indeed a hypothesis) is but an attempt to logically explain some assumptions and phenomena in order to develop and improve the body of knowledge... to become a new step, to put it in practice, to set new goals and standards, and to widen the worldview. Praxis is über alles)

Therefore, any theory is just a suggestion with its ideas, merits, drawbacks, and limitations.
As another attempt to fill the gap between practicing and theorizing, in 1978 was published already mentioned quite popular German "Skopos (purpose) theory", rendering the information offering (translation) as a constant "decision making" process with the concrete purpose and aims in a specific translation commission in the mind, which shifted common paradigm of text-equivalence, so... there's no longer such notion as "bad" or "wrong" translation, but rather "adequate to the purpose" or not--namely even wrong translation could do...

Just a moment, aren't most translators are prepared, culture-aware, and translate with the purpose and the target audience in mind? That's why I was patiently waiting for a reply.

Sure, most translators did learn (and know) many different theories and use some suggestions from there. Although this might seem a bit exaggerated, but I really see no practical use to spend (waste?) my time on implementing some theories, especially considering the fact depending on the authors' priorities and grounds, there're still just fragmented and conflicting (meta)theories of translation, not The Theory of Translation.

And even if there were accomplished The Theory as The Rules, I would still purposely take only the practical aspects (for me).
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:51
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Theories Apr 29, 2015

Are very helpful in any subject. However, they must be learned before practice, before the person becomes a professional. After that, the person will have no interest and no time.

Many of us older than, let's say, 40, did not have the theory before the practice. In our times, translation courses existed only in very few places, and were very basic.

So, those who did study the theories of translation more recently will wonder how would anyone 'dare' be a translator witho
... See more
Are very helpful in any subject. However, they must be learned before practice, before the person becomes a professional. After that, the person will have no interest and no time.

Many of us older than, let's say, 40, did not have the theory before the practice. In our times, translation courses existed only in very few places, and were very basic.

So, those who did study the theories of translation more recently will wonder how would anyone 'dare' be a translator without the theory, simply because they cannot even imagine how this would be possible.

We were translators when the internet did not exist, my dear! We learned the hard way. We used paper dictionaries, and spent hours in libraries. We took a lot longer to make a decent translation. We invented all the theories and all the resources you can't live without today.

You're welcome.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Nothing special to fathom Apr 30, 2015

Really? Mario, although you are right theorizing and suppositions occasionally may come handy to some extent, however, consciously or not, yet once again you just proved that any theory neither was, nor is that necessary as some tend to imply or assume--at least not at the present state of TT BoK, when different scholars refute and negate each other's ideas.

So far, may be you could do us a little favor and explain (1) which translation theory you consider to be 'the most va
... See more
Really? Mario, although you are right theorizing and suppositions occasionally may come handy to some extent, however, consciously or not, yet once again you just proved that any theory neither was, nor is that necessary as some tend to imply or assume--at least not at the present state of TT BoK, when different scholars refute and negate each other's ideas.

So far, may be you could do us a little favor and explain (1) which translation theory you consider to be 'the most valid and helpful', (2) why, (3) and demonstrate how you intentionally implement it while working, ok? You are welcome)

Thank you.

[Edited at 2015-04-30 21:34 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you intentionally apply translation theories when you are working?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »