Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you intentionally apply translation theories when you are working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 11:33
French to English
+ ...
Like Apr 17, 2015

dianaft wrote:

I've been told that a good translation reconstructs the cultural/historical context of the original.
Therefore, I always start by meditating about the cultural reflections in national accounting standards and the historic events preceding their amendments.

This is why we need a like button

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
A must? Apr 17, 2015

Anton Konashenok wrote:

knowing these methods is a must for a professional translator. They are, however, not immediately obvious to the uninitiated

Most translators get along just fine without ever studying translation theory, which would indicate that actually it *is* immediately obvious to the uninitiated...

My experience was that it was all about intellectualising common sense and putting labels on the bleedin' obvious.

But if you can link to something truly life-changing then I'd be more than happy to have a look!

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:33
Integrated theory into practice a long time ago Apr 17, 2015

I immersed myself in theory and practice during my translation degree decades ago, and integrated what I learned in practice immediately, and have refined it over the years. Just a fortnight ago, I stripped down a paragraph and translated it two different ways to see which was the best solution for the client.

I am glad Muriel Vasconcellos has mentioned awareness of discourse structure. Often lack of awareness or consideration of this aspect leads to very poor translations created
... See more
I immersed myself in theory and practice during my translation degree decades ago, and integrated what I learned in practice immediately, and have refined it over the years. Just a fortnight ago, I stripped down a paragraph and translated it two different ways to see which was the best solution for the client.

I am glad Muriel Vasconcellos has mentioned awareness of discourse structure. Often lack of awareness or consideration of this aspect leads to very poor translations created by humans which cross my desk for revision. The same is true for ignorance of how to treat instances where functional equivalence (mentioned by Mario Chavez) rather than any other possible solution is called for.

Lack of knowledge of the deep structure of both source and target texts is to my mind the cause of many mistranslations. Application of certain theories while translating *do* enable one to make the journey from the source text to target with greater accuracy.

I am one of the first people to proclaim that we need to live in the real world and not in the heady world of academics.

Despite my love of theory precisely because knowledge of it helps me to discern and deal with translation difficulties, I have never, ever tried to impose this knowledge on any client. Layman's terms for all the most complex theories exist, and if I need to explain things then I use layman's terms, and give examples or alternatives to the client. Such explanations are only ever required where the customer has a smattering of English, my target language.

If a customer says "Why can't I say X?" I skip all the linguistic waffle, and simply say "that's not really how we usually say it in English", or, point out that it is not really what the source text is saying. I find this kind of collaboration with the client useful, rare though it is because they are usually quite happy with my application of theory in practice.
Collapse

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well said, Julian Apr 17, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

I just do my best to give my clients what they want and, hopefully, something that will exceed their expectations.

Small edit

[Edited at 2015-04-17 09:51 GMT]

And I try to do my best. "Intentionally" apply translation theories?. If I were thinking about that I would not be thinking about the translation itself.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right. Apr 17, 2015

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

I just do my best to give my clients what they want and, hopefully, something that will exceed their expectations.

Small edit

And I try to do my best. "Intentionally" apply translation theories?. If I were thinking about that I would not be thinking about the translation itself.

Exactly, I don't aplly translation theories, I just translate.

Furthermore, I think tranlation theories are THE MOST OVERRATED theories on Earth. perhaps conspiracy theories have more basis.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:33
Danish to English
+ ...
About as intentionally as I apply toothpaste to my toothbrush Apr 17, 2015

I'm racking my brains, trying to figure out what the OP means by 'translation theories', and trying to remember whether I ever learnt any such theories as a language/translation student. I don't think I ever did. I learnt lots of practical stuff about how to deal with the differences between source and target languages for different cultures, but many years down the line, I apply all that practical stuff instinctively. Whenever I come across a linguistic issue that causes me to hesitate, I do my... See more
I'm racking my brains, trying to figure out what the OP means by 'translation theories', and trying to remember whether I ever learnt any such theories as a language/translation student. I don't think I ever did. I learnt lots of practical stuff about how to deal with the differences between source and target languages for different cultures, but many years down the line, I apply all that practical stuff instinctively. Whenever I come across a linguistic issue that causes me to hesitate, I do my research and find a solution, but I wouldn't call that 'intentional application of translation theory', just plain common sense.

One of my favorite sayings (which I may have invented myself, who knows?) is this:

Translation is not an exact science.

Even if you know all kinds of academic theories, they can never give you the 'solution' to a translation issue. You still have to look at each sentence/text and consider how best to render it in another language, maybe for a specific audience and context. But that's just the practical, not theoretical everyday work of a translator, isn't it?
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:03
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I just translate Apr 17, 2015

Theories can be derived from the way I translate, and should be!

John Marston
John Marston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:33
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
you can't see air particles, but they exist Apr 17, 2015

Thanks to those who've given their insight into translation theories. I've learned about them in translation courses, but admittedly it's not something where I'm translating and go "hmm, think I'll use this theory here." It's a bit more organic than that.

But it's downright arrogant of people here to dismiss translation theories altogether... I guess it's like a writer who doesn't examine narrative structure. You might've learned it by just doing it, but there's a theory in your hea
... See more
Thanks to those who've given their insight into translation theories. I've learned about them in translation courses, but admittedly it's not something where I'm translating and go "hmm, think I'll use this theory here." It's a bit more organic than that.

But it's downright arrogant of people here to dismiss translation theories altogether... I guess it's like a writer who doesn't examine narrative structure. You might've learned it by just doing it, but there's a theory in your head whether you're aware of it or not.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:33
French to English
I agree wholeheartedly with Apr 17, 2015

John Marston. Well said!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different approaches Apr 17, 2015

houtberg wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Topics such as authorship, foreignization vs. domestication, functional equivalence and translation as a process to take decisions are the object of these theories.

Never heard about this.
And I have a full master's degree in translation. (and besides, a diploma which authorizes me to teach a foreign language in high school).
I would have disconnected if such abstract things would have been part of the cursus.

In my uni, we were taught translation techniques.

I understand that not all university translation courses (graduate and posgraduate levels) include teaching translation theory. Mine did.

Like I said, take a look at them. There's nothing abstract about translation theories because they were developed from the practice of translation by translators and linguists.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why the reluctance? Apr 17, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote:

knowing these methods is a must for a professional translator. They are, however, not immediately obvious to the uninitiated

Most translators get along just fine without ever studying translation theory, which would indicate that actually it *is* immediately obvious to the uninitiated...

My experience was that it was all about intellectualising common sense and putting labels on the bleedin' obvious.

But if you can link to something truly life-changing then I'd be more than happy to have a look!

Chris, do have a look. Read about it. Don't just refuse to review translation theories because of what I consider a mindset: “translation theories are abstract things removed from the practice of translation.” If you have such mindset, then you have no idea about the meaning of the word theory in a scientific or empirical context.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A well reasoned outlook on translation theory Apr 17, 2015

Allison Wright wrote:

I am glad Muriel Vasconcellos has mentioned awareness of discourse structure. Often lack of awareness or consideration of this aspect leads to very poor translations created by humans which cross my desk for revision. The same is true for ignorance of how to treat instances where functional equivalence (mentioned by Mario Chavez) rather than any other possible solution is called for.

Lack of knowledge of the deep structure of both source and target texts is to my mind the cause of many mistranslations. Application of certain theories while translating *do* enable one to make the journey from the source text to target with greater accuracy.

I am one of the first people to proclaim that we need to live in the real world and not in the heady world of academics.

Despite my love of theory precisely because knowledge of it helps me to discern and deal with translation difficulties, I have never, ever tried to impose this knowledge on any client. Layman's terms for all the most complex theories exist, and if I need to explain things then I use layman's terms, and give examples or alternatives to the client. Such explanations are only ever required where the customer has a smattering of English, my target language.

If a customer says "Why can't I say X?" I skip all the linguistic waffle, and simply say "that's not really how we usually say it in English", or, point out that it is not really what the source text is saying. I find this kind of collaboration with the client useful, rare though it is because they are usually quite happy with my application of theory in practice.

Thank you, Allison, for bringing your views into the fore. May I quote you? Seriously. Maybe I'll write a blog entry on these things.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Overrated? Apr 17, 2015

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

Small edit

Exactly, I don't aplly translation theories, I just translate.

Furthermore, I think tranlation theories are THE MOST OVERRATED theories on Earth. perhaps conspiracy theories have more basis.

First, have you read about any translation theory, like domestication vs. foreignization, which has applications in real-life matters such as tradenames, taglines, advertising, buzzwords and sports metaphors?

Second, I can understand and respect your view about overrated theories IF you have taken a look at any of these translation theories. Otherwise, your words are pretty featherweight, my friend.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation theories Apr 17, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Theories can be derived from the way I translate, and should be!

That's how translation theories were developed. Concepts such as literal translations and paraphrase translations came about from translating the Bible.

I invite you to take a look at translation theories with an open mind, take what you find useful and move on. But don't just reject them offhand without consideration.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Applying translation theory Apr 17, 2015

John Marston wrote:

But it's downright arrogant of people here to dismiss translation theories altogether... I guess it's like a writer who doesn't examine narrative structure. You might've learned it by just doing it, but there's a theory in your head whether you're aware of it or not.

Well said, John. I like to think of what I've learned from translation theories to how I've learned to drive a car: at first, one is very self conscious of what to do next after pressing the brake, until it becomes second nature. Same with useful theories.

From the reluctance to even read about translation theories that some of our colleagues have displayed, I have to conclude that they know absolutely nothing about the concept of theory in applied sciences. They think theory is synonymous with conjecture.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you intentionally apply translation theories when you are working?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »