Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If you are out of office for a few days, do you bring your laptop/tablet with you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 15, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you are out of office for a few days, do you bring your laptop/tablet with you?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 15, 2015

Even if I'm not going to need it for work, I usually take a laptop with me to use as an entertainment centre (TV, movies, music etc).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No - I'm rarely out of the office Apr 15, 2015

I do take a laptop when I go on vacation, which isn't very often.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:51
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Apr 15, 2015

I am never out of office (= my home) for more than a day and I do not own a laptop/tablet!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Apr 15, 2015

Since my children left home, I don’t take family vacations any more, but very long “weekends” throughout the year and an odd day here and there whenever I feel like it and I never leave my laptop or notebook behind (I like checking my mails and one never knows when an emergency might arise).

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Apr 15, 2015

When I am out for more than an hour I have my mini iPad in the purse (except on Sundays) and if I am travelling for several days I'll take my laptop too.

[Edited at 2015-04-15 09:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-15 09:59 GMT]

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, so far Apr 15, 2015

But that doesn't mean I'm available.
I always make sure I check my emails at least twice a day, and most clients are happy enough with that.
I'm no longer convinced that this is a wise idea.
During my last holiday, one client was panicking really badly, because they were trying to negotiate a rush job with an end client (for which I had done the previous translations) and I dared to have lunch with my gran at the time. When I returned, I had numerous panicky emails in my inbox,
... See more
But that doesn't mean I'm available.
I always make sure I check my emails at least twice a day, and most clients are happy enough with that.
I'm no longer convinced that this is a wise idea.
During my last holiday, one client was panicking really badly, because they were trying to negotiate a rush job with an end client (for which I had done the previous translations) and I dared to have lunch with my gran at the time. When I returned, I had numerous panicky emails in my inbox, begging me to reply immediately. Had I seen the first email, I would have replied to it. It's not like I deliberately ignored any messages. They knew I was on holiday. I explained several times that I will only check my emails twice a day while I'm on holiday and that I'm not available for rush jobs. They couldn't get their head around it. Checking my messages while I'm spending a couple of hours with my gran? Absolutely not.

I also dared to go cycling, take my nephews to the beach, celebrate my mum's birthday, watch the World Cup final AND go to the dentist without simultaneously keeping an eye out for potential messages from that client! Each time, it was a major drama. I was getting extremely irritated and it really compromised my holiday quite a bit. I ended up telling them that I will be unavailable for them for the rest of that holiday and any future holidays or days off.

Now I do wonder if it would not be better to just draw that line in general, rather than just for this specific client.
It's such a major effort to leave my island, I really have to be able to make the most of a trip, and I'm getting seriously agitated just thinking about that experience.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes .... Apr 15, 2015

When I am out of the office I check my emails using my smartphone
If I am out of the office for work reasons, I have my laptop with me.
If I am out of the office on vacation or other non-work reasons I usually have my laptop with me for non-work reasons: entertainment, writing, keeping in touch, processing photos, etc.
Very occasionally I just completely unplug

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
A netbook Apr 15, 2015

Last time I took a vacation, in late February this year, I took my netbook with me, a very capable 2 GB RAM 500 GB HDD Acer 11-inch beauty of a red minilaptop, fully equipped with Deja Vu X3 and SDL Trados 2014, as well as MS Office, to serve as my on-the-go workstation.

But, why? I had barely finished a 36,000-word project the day before my departure and I wasn't certain the job would need amending (it didn't). I felt safer, so to speak, to have my laptop and all the job's files, l
... See more
Last time I took a vacation, in late February this year, I took my netbook with me, a very capable 2 GB RAM 500 GB HDD Acer 11-inch beauty of a red minilaptop, fully equipped with Deja Vu X3 and SDL Trados 2014, as well as MS Office, to serve as my on-the-go workstation.

But, why? I had barely finished a 36,000-word project the day before my departure and I wasn't certain the job would need amending (it didn't). I felt safer, so to speak, to have my laptop and all the job's files, lexibases and translation memories on my Dropbox folder just in case.

For the record, I seldom touched the netbook: I did go out every single day to walk to places, meet with family, even manage to meet a colleague and university faculty for half a day. What I couldn't go without was books, so I visited three or more different bookstores and brought home a dozen.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but... Apr 15, 2015

I voted no, but then remembered that last year I was in the hospital twice and both times had my laptop with me and continued working.

"Time, tide and translations wait for no man."

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Back when I was a politician Apr 15, 2015

I could find myself out of office for years at a time, and taking computer equipment with you was frowned upon.

But obviously I made up for that in my expense claims.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
When were you a politician? Apr 15, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I could find myself out of office for years at a time, and taking computer equipment with you was frowned upon.

But obviously I made up for that in my expense claims.

Your pictures show a woman in her late 20s or early 30s. When did you pursue a career in politics? The people want to know!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just my smartphone Apr 15, 2015

I don't actually work so I don't need my laptop. I don't guarantee to look at emails either, but I normally go through them once a day if only to weed out the rubbish.

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
smartphone Apr 15, 2015

I answered NO, because there is no need to carry anything bigger than a smartphone.
Anyway, checking the e-mail is a must, "if only to weed out the rubbish" as Sheila said.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:51
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Apr 15, 2015

I do not have a laptop/tablet.

Even if I had one I would never bring it with me, because I would never take it with me.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you are out of office for a few days, do you bring your laptop/tablet with you?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »