Poll: What is your biggest distraction while at work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 31, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your biggest distraction while at work?".

View the poll results »

Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:50
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
My dog :-) Mar 31, 2015

Working concentrated is easiest when she is asleep but in the afternoon when the sun is shining (not the case today), she wants to go out into the garden and play and run run run... I learnt to take this into consideration when planning my translation projects - not easy in the beginning but now actually, I have to say there is nothing better than that. These breaks and the time spent outside are the best distraction in the world. Makes me forget about annoying projects and gives me a lot of smi... See more
Working concentrated is easiest when she is asleep but in the afternoon when the sun is shining (not the case today), she wants to go out into the garden and play and run run run... I learnt to take this into consideration when planning my translation projects - not easy in the beginning but now actually, I have to say there is nothing better than that. These breaks and the time spent outside are the best distraction in the world. Makes me forget about annoying projects and gives me a lot of smiles and time to breathe so I can get back to work refreshed.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 31, 2015

As I said before (this is another repeated poll), it depends on the deadline! When I face an imminent deadline nothing can distract me, if not it's completely on me, I'm a freelancer... Family, my daughter's dog, Internet, Proz, daydreaming, TV: in short, just about everything! But I still manage to get my work done…

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other Mar 31, 2015

No distractions except for being tired once in a while

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:50
English to Russian
+ ...
games Mar 31, 2015

Why aren't computer games on the list?

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:50
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Mar 31, 2015

I'm with Teresa on that deadlines rarely permit but when they do my chief distraction when actually sitting at my desk is surfing:
it always starts innocently enough with searching for terms and background and then following up a tangent on something I found.
Taking tangent after tangent I find myself looking up some obscure fact of purely personal interest or something related to my hobbies and realise that I'm no longer doing what you even loosely call a 'work-related task'.
... See more
I'm with Teresa on that deadlines rarely permit but when they do my chief distraction when actually sitting at my desk is surfing:
it always starts innocently enough with searching for terms and background and then following up a tangent on something I found.
Taking tangent after tangent I find myself looking up some obscure fact of purely personal interest or something related to my hobbies and realise that I'm no longer doing what you even loosely call a 'work-related task'.

If I haven't made it to my desk that's another story altogether - but usually sports or writing
Collapse

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Children Mar 31, 2015

Although daddy is at home too, they always want mommy to get, fix and tell things.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
You beat me to it! Mar 31, 2015

Alexander Kondorsky wrote:

My newest addiction is called Tap Titan for Android...

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 02:50
French to English
+ ...
Online polls Mar 31, 2015

Just kidding... Couldn't resist!

Teresa Reinhardt
Teresa Reinhardt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:50
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
In my book, there's a difference Mar 31, 2015

between unwelcome and welcome distractions - Diane said it all for the first type, and I am all with Sarah on the second type.
If I didn't have my dog who takes me for a walk every 2-3 hrs., I wouldn't be able to do this type of work (way too sedentary for me).

Marc Cordes
Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
English to German
+ ...
@Alexander Kondorsky Mar 31, 2015

Alexander Kondorsky wrote:

That......EXACTLY!

nathalia woglo
nathalia woglo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
online games Mar 31, 2015

E.g.: candy crush

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
E-mails Mar 31, 2015

I don't use the phone very much, but I receive over 300 meals a day (more in Nov and Dec with ads and calls for donations). I can turn off the automatic notification, but then sometimes I miss jobs or important messages from friends. I'd rather be distracted than miss something important.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Wow Apr 1, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I don't use the phone very much, but I receive over 300 meals a day (more in Nov and Dec with ads and calls for donations). I can turn off the automatic notification, but then sometimes I miss jobs or important messages from friends. I'd rather be distracted than miss something important.

Where can I sign up?

You get "over 300 meals a day".

Just open a restaurant, hire a couple of wait staff and voilà!

Nice to know they bump it up in Nov/Dec. with free advertising and fund-raising.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most days, only one... Apr 1, 2015

...Proz polls

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your biggest distraction while at work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »