Poll: Have you ever helped/advised a friend/family member on how to get started as a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 29, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever helped/advised a friend/family member on how to get started as a freelance translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne-Sophie Cardinal. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 29, 2015

I have become friends with people I advised on how to get started as a freelance translator. And I have advised a lot of newbies, particularly students (I taught translation at Georgetown University for 14 years).

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
I chose 'Other' because... Mar 29, 2015

...the probable options are extremes: Quite often, a few times, or No.

How about on occasion and rarely have?

Once again, Imagination has an irresistible offer for poll writers like this one.

[Edited at 2015-03-29 14:45 GMT]

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Italian to English
+ ...
I said no but... Mar 29, 2015

My son and his wife both followed me into translating, not with any particular encouragement or advice from me, though I did give their names to one or two agencies.
I've shared TMs and we occasionally help each other out with terminology.
And I know the CAT software better!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Mar 29, 2015

I started freelancing quite late in life after a good 20 years as in-house translator. By then all my friends and relatives had found their way into established professions. One of my daughters is also a translator working in-house. Only time will tell if she will follow the same steps…

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever helped/advised a friend/family member on how to get started as a freelance translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »