Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you listen to music while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 14:32
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Nature? Mar 29, 2015

L. Clark Gillette wrote:

I can never listen to any music or anything else with lyrics or speaking. Can't concentrate on what I'm writing at all. I prefer absolute silence if I can get it! I very often use earplugs, but sometimes listen to new age music or recorded nature sounds to drown out other noise if necessary.

I never thought of nature's "music"!
I should definitely try it, maybe Fiona's link could help.

Speaking of lyrics, it's funny that I can't work while music with lyrics is playing even if these lyrics are Spanish or Italian, two languages that I don't speak. They often come up while playing Yanni's albums, I immediately hit the "Next" hot key combination and jump to a word-free piece.

[Edited at 2015-03-29 05:18 GMT]

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 14:32
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Yanni Mar 29, 2015

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

Noura Tawil wrote:

Only if I need it to cover other noises (TV, conversations, generators "since we have long power outages here"). But it must be without lyrics, otherwise I can't spell my own words.
And it has to be familiar! I always listen to the same collection of music pieces, usually by Yanni.

[Edited at 2015-03-28 13:33 GMT]

I offer you a nice Yanni CD brought from the US in 2002 - if not too expensive I can send it to you.

That is so sweet of you, Erzsébet! But I believe I have the entire Yanni collection of albums and concerts

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:32
English to Italian
often Mar 29, 2015

Not always, but often and never while checking my translations before delivery.

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
Depends on deadline and my mood Mar 31, 2015

First of all I have to warn you that I'm not a professional translator YET (I graduated as a Master in Translation in 2014, am working as a secretary right now and I will probably start freelancing in July 2015 or January 2016), but I do know what I liked or did not like when I was still studying and when I also had translation deadlines...

In my opinion, everything depends on the deadline I am facing and my mood at that moment.
Sometimes I get nervous while listening music, s
... See more
First of all I have to warn you that I'm not a professional translator YET (I graduated as a Master in Translation in 2014, am working as a secretary right now and I will probably start freelancing in July 2015 or January 2016), but I do know what I liked or did not like when I was still studying and when I also had translation deadlines...

In my opinion, everything depends on the deadline I am facing and my mood at that moment.
Sometimes I get nervous while listening music, sometimes it improves my productivity.

I almost never like complete silence. However, I can't stand real people talking around me either (conversations on television is something completely different, I know that I can't interact with television characters...).
When I'm reading my text for the first time, I prefer something peaceful, mostly those Irish/Celtic kinds of music such as Enya.
When I'm facing a very strict deadline and I know I will have to be really productive in order to be able to meet my deadline, I try everything I can to improve my productivity. In those cases I will typically turn to up-tempo music (rap, hiphop, dubstep, different things) and... hot chocolate.
Collapse

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
Dubstep Cat Mar 31, 2015

Triston Goodwin wrote:

I'm still working on this year's YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgAqFoQC3_lP91_f-9QdRfkElqHF1jZwR

I like punk and alternative rock, though I'm starting to like dubstep, specifically Skrillex, for translation work.

If you have not seen this before, you should definitely check out Dubstep Cat...
It can be quite distracting though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQeIDhz-_eg

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you listen to music while translating?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »