Poll: Do you respond to job offers that are sent to "undisclosed recipients"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 24, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you respond to job offers that are sent to "undisclosed recipients"?".

View the poll results »

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No hard and fast rules Mar 24, 2015

I go by the "smell". Occasionally, I'll think they've got a good enough reason. At other times, I'll send a rather terse rejection to an obviously personalised email. The long and short of it is that I prefer to trust my own judgement rather than that of others. If I judge wrongly, that's my fault.

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Other Mar 24, 2015

I don't receive such job offers.
Probably because I am not an active member of this site.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:57
Danish to English
+ ...
No, never Mar 24, 2015

I would never send an email to any number of undisclosed recipients, as I would consider that rude and lazy. Likewise, I don't respond to such rudeness or laziness...

I simply don't want to work with people who cannot be bothered to do a little bit of research themselves, but expect any number of people to respond to their blanket emails, which they may then completely ignore. Very bad form. Very poor business attitude.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Depends! Mar 24, 2015

If it is a mass email coming via Proz.com or other translation portals I tend to ignore it, especially when asking for my "best rate", but sometimes agencies that I have worked with before will send out requests to several translators if the translation is fairly urgent…

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Mar 24, 2015

I don't get many serious job offers like that.
Mostly the mails I receive that start that way are from senders whom I do not know and ask for best rates and/or my CV and other such things that wouldn't encourage me to respond - 'jobs' like that will have takers other than me.
But if, say, for example, I am not busy and the job offer is otherwise serious and the job offerer reputable - I might respond. There are other criteria I find important in deciding whether to enter into a rel
... See more
I don't get many serious job offers like that.
Mostly the mails I receive that start that way are from senders whom I do not know and ask for best rates and/or my CV and other such things that wouldn't encourage me to respond - 'jobs' like that will have takers other than me.
But if, say, for example, I am not busy and the job offer is otherwise serious and the job offerer reputable - I might respond. There are other criteria I find important in deciding whether to enter into a relationship with a new client.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Couldn't put it better Mar 24, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

I would never send an email to any number of undisclosed recipients, as I would consider that rude and lazy. Likewise, I don't respond to such rudeness or laziness...

I simply don't want to work with people who cannot be bothered to do a little bit of research themselves, but expect any number of people to respond to their blanket emails, which they may then completely ignore. Very bad form. Very poor business attitude.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:57
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No way Mar 24, 2015

Like Gitte says, it is a rude and lazy business practice.

Not only that but it is a bottom feeder tactic. It's very much like fishing with dynamite - throw in a couple of sticks of TNT and see what floats up to the top. Only the dopey fish take the bait, while the clever ones swim away.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 24, 2015

Probably not. I don't usually get them in my working e-mail account. There might be some in my proz account, but haven't looked at it this year... been too busy. I probably wouldn't even bother to open them.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Never Mar 24, 2015

Any such email must have been misrouted since my name is definitely not Undisclosed Repients.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
On the very odd occasion Mar 24, 2015

In my experience, these emails are generally badly worded, incredibly vague about the job in question, and sometimes even require language combinations which I don't have. If I am being offered a job I need to know at least the basic details such as the language, subject matter, length of the text and the deadline. It doesn't happen very often, but if something does come through which sounds particularly interesting and falls within my area of expertise, I do request further information.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
sometimes Mar 24, 2015

It might happen, maybe the PM is in a situation when s/he cannot contact every single translator found by searching on Proz (using specific criteria) or in her/his database. So it is quick to send one email to several people to understand who is available.

I usually reply to these emails in two case:
1) the email is sent by one of my regular clients
2) there is a good feedback on proz.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 07:57
Japanese to English
Depends Mar 24, 2015

Gianluca Marras wrote:

I usually reply to these emails in two case:
1) the email is sent by one of my regular clients
2) there is a good feedback on proz.

Like Gianluca I almost always reply to emails from a regular client, even if it's just to say "Sorry, too busy." If the project sounds interesting enough and isn't from a fly-by-night agency I might ask for more details as well.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
advice Mar 25, 2015

houtberg wrote:

I don't receive such job offers.
Probably because I am not an active member of this site.

Please become a member. You will be a part of a great translator community and you will see soon that is is a valuable investment, a set of great tools and advantages!

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
instinct Mar 25, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

If it is a mass email coming via Proz.com or other translation portals I tend to ignore it, especially when asking for my "best rate", but sometimes agencies that I have worked with before will send out requests to several translators if the translation is fairly urgent…

Could not agree more. If I am in hurry, I would do the same, not because of being lazy rather than being in hurry.

Last year I received a mass mail, decided to reply and got a fairly huge job. So I follow my instinct.

Happy translating, Liza

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you respond to job offers that are sent to "undisclosed recipients"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »