Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually deliver your work as soon as it is complete?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 16, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually deliver your work as soon as it is complete?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wtf? Mar 16, 2015

Well I almost said no just to be obtuse.

Like, I'm not going to risk losing a customer by delivering early. Right...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 16, 2015

Normal procedure for me is to deliver the work as soon as it is complete. However, occasionally I may hang onto a text until the last minute before delivering it, to avoid giving clients the impression that I will always be able to deliver things so quickly, as they may then end up overwhelming me with work, expecting to get it back lickety-split.

Also, when giving clients an estimated delivery date, I always try to leave myself as much leeway as possible and usually manage to del
... See more
Normal procedure for me is to deliver the work as soon as it is complete. However, occasionally I may hang onto a text until the last minute before delivering it, to avoid giving clients the impression that I will always be able to deliver things so quickly, as they may then end up overwhelming me with work, expecting to get it back lickety-split.

Also, when giving clients an estimated delivery date, I always try to leave myself as much leeway as possible and usually manage to deliver it ahead of schedule.

[Edited at 2015-03-16 08:36 GMT]
Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Not always a good idea Mar 16, 2015

It is not always a good idea to deliver early. The client might think that you can always do so. Best to pace your clients if you can, otherwise they might start demanding you deliver yesterday.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 07:17
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 16, 2015

Why wouldn't I?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 16, 2015

It depends on the deadline! I always submit on time and I’m even known to deliver quite often ahead of deadline, but never too ahead of the due date.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 05:17
Japanese to English
Said yes but it depends Mar 16, 2015

Depends on what you mean by "complete." If you mean "completely translated" then no. If you mean "translated, spell-checked, edited, proofread, re-edited after letting it rest for a while if it's a creative text" then yes. Seriously, why not?

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Yes Mar 16, 2015

What else?
I find it so enjoyable to change a job's status to Done, Delivered and Let's-start-the-next-one that I can't wait to do so.
The next enjoyable thing for me is end-of-month invoicing.

Philippe

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:17
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Mar 16, 2015

I do. Always.
I schedule my work, work to my schedule and deliver the work when I'm done.

Or am I missing something about the actual meaning of the question ...

Enrica Brancaleoni
Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes ... Mar 16, 2015

Unless I have been exceptionally very fast on a certain translation ... just not to convey the message I can always be that fast

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 16, 2015

I can't remember a time when I intentionally delayed delivering a completed job. My experience has been that I get more work sooner that way.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ah, now I get the question Mar 16, 2015

neilmac wrote:

occasionally I may hang onto a text until the last minute before delivering it, to avoid giving clients the impression that I will always be able to deliver things so quickly

when giving clients an estimated delivery date, I always try to leave myself as much leeway as possible and usually manage to deliver it ahead of schedule.

Snap

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Mar 16, 2015

of course!

Ivo Jurasek
Ivo Jurasek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Depends Mar 16, 2015

Sometimes the deadline is so tight that the work is constant - read, translate, proofread, re-read, send. When the deadline is not so tight, I like to re-read the proofread text the following day, to 'sleep on it'. Usually I don't make any changes on the last reading, but it helped me to spot minor deficiencies a few times and contributed to slightly higher quality of the target text. Leaving some time, at least a day, between finishing/proofreading your own text and re-reading it before submitt... See more
Sometimes the deadline is so tight that the work is constant - read, translate, proofread, re-read, send. When the deadline is not so tight, I like to re-read the proofread text the following day, to 'sleep on it'. Usually I don't make any changes on the last reading, but it helped me to spot minor deficiencies a few times and contributed to slightly higher quality of the target text. Leaving some time, at least a day, between finishing/proofreading your own text and re-reading it before submitting is IMHO a very good thing to do.Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends on the deadline Mar 16, 2015

Sometimes I hold on to a translation, especially when it was a complicated one (e.g. endless banworm sentences) to proofread it again after about an hour. Other than for this reason, I always deliver as soon as the translation is finished and underwent a second proofreading.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually deliver your work as soon as it is complete?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »